“Sadly lacking this time around...” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Late Night, Dessert
Montague, California
“Sadly lacking this time around...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Mom and I ate here for breakfast and dinner last year (Jan 2012) and were thrilled with the quality and quantity. We came here last weekend (1/26/2013) and were sadly disappointed. I had the mixed fish and chips and a cup of chowder. Mom had the Slumgullion. First, let me say that the service was awesome. The server was very attentive, and even though he was the only server there, he ran across the street to the store because I had asked for a side of mayo for my chips. I would give five stars for the service. My much anticipated $4 cup of chowder was a potato soup with 2 very small pieces of clam in it. The fish and chips was approximately $16 and had (5) 2" x 1.5" chunks of fish, the equivalent of about 2 small fillets. This was not at all what I received last year when I ordered the same. My mother said the Slumgullion was good. It is a large bowl of chowder loaded with bay shrimp and cheese. I was happy that Mom was happy. We decided not to come back for breakfast, though, because of the $$ of the meals vs. the quality/quantity deprecation we experienced. In all fairness, we'll probably try it again next year.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Owasso, Oklahoma
“So-so”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

You might be tempted to think my "average" review might be skewed because this place is a charming hole in the wall (which it is). But my real issue is that the food was fairly pricey and the portions small. I ordered a whole crab (at $18.95) and it was super small/undersized, was tepid with "luke-warm" drawn butter. Definitely boiled before we got there. My wife had the tiger prawns which were large and tasty. South Beach Market in Newport has the same ambiance with much better pricing and better food. Just sayin'...

Visited January 2013
Oregon
“Little Seafood Heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We came to the coast on Christmas Day evening , finding of course very little open. When we spotted the lights on here in Yachats , I didn't realize how lucky we were. We dropped in quickly to ask when they were closing , I told them we would be back soon after checking into our motel. Since all the grocery stores were closed , I asked if we could buy a loaf of bread for the morning and was elated to be handed a freshly baked loaf of Italian bread ! We did return and I had a great plate of mixed fish and chips ( albacore , halibut , ling cod and salmon ) . Who knew ? My wife had HUGE prawns on angelhair pasta. All was wonderful . They also have beer / wine and great desserts. During our dinner we chatted w/ the owner / active fisherman very proud of his fresh , wonderfully prepared dishes . BTW : next day , everything open : we returned and again were served a wonderful meal .
The restaurant is also a fresh seafood market w/ emphasis on fresh. If you are within 30 miles , give it a try !

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Keizer, Oregon
“Can you say FRESH?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

This place rocks! The wife and I ate dinner here on 1/19/13. Wife had the Slumgullian and I had a bay shrimp cocktail and a fish taco. The slumgullian was fantastic. The bay shrimp cocktail was the freshest shrimp I have ever had. The fish taco wasn't great...it was a little "fishy" tasting for my liking but it was still pretty good. If you are passing through Yachats and want FRESH seafood you have to stop here!!

• Visited January 2013
Veneta, Oregon
“Do Not Miss This Place....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

My husband and I have been going for romantic getaways at Quiet Waters cabins for years....but for some reason we only discovered the wonder of Luna's a year or two ago.....maybe because it is so small that if you blink you might miss it. Don't Blink....because you do not want to miss the food here. There Clam Chowder is homemade and so good that my husband (who professes to not like it) even orders a bowl of it....this is the only Clam Chowder I have ever seen him try,,,much less like enough to order it. And there are not words to describe how good their Halibut Fish and Chips are here.....they are pricey for the portion...but man are they WORTH it...the only thing I do not like is their Coleslaw...but that is so minor. I just whip up a salad for myself back at the cabin....we usually do not eat here because it is so small and crowded much of the time. The owner of Luna's has a fishing boat....you can not hope to get fish any fresher than that!!!

• Visited September 2012