“Decent Food, Fair Value” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Description: When driving up the coast of Oregon, right past the Umpqua lighthouse, you come to Winchester Bay that is famous for crabbing. This is a little seafood restaurant owned by a family and it was SO fresh and tasty. It was well known by the locals and packed at lunch time. You need good stops like this when on long road trips with kids! It is right on the water too.
San Diego, California
“Decent Food, Fair Value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

For a 'touristy venue' Griff's was a good value. The food was good, fresh and fairly priced (not what you might expect in a tourist trap (so to speak). It was semi-late on a Sunday in October so there weren't many options.

Both our meals were tasty and fresh, just nothing spectacular. The staff was friendly and pleasant. During 'season' this may be a much different experience and a slow Sunday shouldn't deter you from a decent meal.

Visited October 2013

Seattle, Washington
“Just so so....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Ate both Lunch and dinner here a couple days apart.

Service is very good. But, the menu lacks some variety - almost all of it is breaded and sorta greasy. I did have a nice serving of cioppino!

The best was the calamari, maybe the best I've ever had anywhere; nicely cooked, not rubbery at all!

The worst was probably the clam chowder. Just dreadful - few clams, too many potatoes and all in a gelatinous library paste.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Pleasanton, California
“Best Place on Oregon Coast?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

This is informal on the wharf but the food is excellent. We visited twice about two weeks apart and it was superb both times (four different dishes). Service was on glass plates with real stainless flatware. No paper and baskets. I noticed scallops in the meat case going in to be seated and asked the server if the menu item would use those scallops. It would and I had the best scallops I've ever eaten.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Richland, Washington
“Excellent Food. Gladly filled our special requests.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Planned to try the seafood barbecue at the Sportsman's cannery on our way through town but they were closed for the season. Went across the parking lot to Griffs. So glad we did! Preferring grilled over breaded seafood, they willingly prepared everything we chose to order on the grill. Ordered the Captains Plate with everything but the calamari grilled. They were out of oysters (not his favorite anyway), chose scallops as a substitution, all was wonderful. Crab Louis had loads of flavorful crab, salmon steak was cooked to perfection. Very good food, reasonable prices.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Pahrump, Nevada
“the good and the bad”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

I wanted a good ciappino for lunch and wife wanted fish and chips. We decided to drive from Florence to Winchester Bay and get a quart of Umpqua triangle oysters to bring back to florence. I had seen the ciappino sign in front of Griff's. My ciappino was not at all like I have ever had. I am used to crab legs and shrimp in the shells and making a mess when I eat it. This was more of a Manhatten style fish soup that had no thickener in it. To make it even worse, it was cold. I sent it back and it returned about a minute later with a little steam around the edge of the bowl. It was still cold in the center (1 minute in a microwave will give this to you). Called the waitress again and she was very apologetic but stated that they had heated it up. I put my finger in the center to the bottom of the bowl and told her it was about 105 degrees and still cold. She offered to redo it but by now I didn't want it. I ordered fried shrimp and I am so thankful that I did. The finest fried shrimp I have found in the entire world are in Abbeville, Louisiana. These were either as good or a close second to "Cajun Claws". If they only sold crawfish like them, I would never have to drive to Louisiana again. The fries were good and the slaw was not overly dressed. My wife's fish, by the way, was excellent. Fish and shrimp were both lightly breaded and you could taste the seafood and not breading and tartar sauce. Waitress wanted to discount my shrimp because of soup disaster but I wouldn't hear of it and left a huge tip to make up for the discounted bill. I will go back before I leave the coast. the 60 mile round trip is totally worth it to me as this was the BEST seafood meal I have had in Oregon

• Visited August 2013