“A Big Mistake” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
salem, or
“A Big Mistake”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I have passed this restaurant many times on the way to the coast but never stopped. On our return trip today my wife and I decided to try it for lunch. Much to our regret…

This is an old restaurant, established in the 1950s according to a story on the menu. Both the exterior and interior attest to its age. There are eleven booths (some with torn cushions) and four tables. The carpet is old, the wood wainscoting badly marred, and our adjacent windowsill was dirty. Only a few flies shared our space.

The waitress greeted us with a friendly “Hi,” took our order, and later processed our bill. Had she returned after serving our food I would have courteously given her my opinion of our lunch.

The menu consists of selections almost entirely pre-frozen, pre-packaged, or otherwise what a typical diner would offer. Taking our cue accordingly, we split a Reuben sandwich with fries ($9.50). It was indeed a Reuben, but with only the minimum amount of the requisite ingredients. The bread was crispy; so were the cold fries which approached petrification.

I guess we should have ordered something simpler.

• Visited October 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Terry G, Owner at Fort Hill Restaurant, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Dear Big Mistake, I sincerely hope you will give us another chance. We get mostly positive feedback from our quantity and quality of food served. Our Rueben is a best seller. And yes it is an old building and worn but it is very clean. We never get below a 90 from Polk County Health Dept. We make most of our daily soups from scratch, make our breakfast biscuits, country gravy and fresh green salads daily.