“Great snorkeling” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Activities: Sunbathing
More attraction details
Owner description: This beautiful island is only 25 by 150 yards and offers a quiet place for a swim, fabulous lobster lunch, or a drink at the beach bar.
Brooklyn, New York
“Great snorkeling”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

My wife and I had a great time relaxing, swimming and snorkeling on beautiful Sandy Island. We brought our own snorkeling gear so I'm not sure if they have rentals? The food was great too. My wife discovered she likes crayfish! It is expensive and they charge extra for credit card I think so bring cash. We had two meals, 3 drinks and the boat ride was over $100 as I recall but worth it.

If you go snorkeling- head strait out from the restaurant and enter the water just to the right and follow the reef straight out. It's beautiful with lots of variety of fish and coral to see. The reef turns to the left but gets deeper and the water become pretty rough and there is less to see. Sticking to the right is your best bet. Enjoy!

Visited February 2013

Las Vegas, Nevada
10 attraction reviews
“Don't Miss Sandy Island and Dion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

There are lots of reviews about the different private island excursions in Anguilla. I have been to all of them before and have a luxury hospitality background. Sandy Island is not only the best in Anguilla but one of the top three that I have been to anywhere in the world. Dion the bartender/manager is a great personality and very accommodating for couples and families. We spent almost 6 hours on island and our 3 kids ages 9, 10 and 12 wanted to even stay longer. The food is outstanding for what they have to work with and make sure not to miss the crayfish! Take a private boat if you are staying at the Viceroy or another resort that has that option. That way you can stop for additional snorkel time in other areas.

New York City, New York
8 attraction reviews
“A lunchtime escape to a private island”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We took an 8 minute boat ride from Anguilla to Sandy Island and were so happy that we did! Sadly, we visited Anguilla during labor day weekend on the recommendation of our AmEx travel agent. She forgot to mention that Anguilla shuts down end of August to November so many hotels and better restaurants were already closed.

We had a VERY delicious and VERY expensive lunch at the shack on the Sandy Island. Don't let the worn down shack and surrounding poverty fool you. The shack is expensive. We each had a fish entree and three beers and the damage was $125 for food made in a shack! Ouch, I can't imagine how expensive it would have been if we ordered the lobster. Bring cash. The food is very good and the hot sauce is addicting. Order your meal well in advance. It takes about 45 minutes for them to prepare it.

The island itself is about half the size of a football field, maybe a fraction of the size in fact! There isn't much to do on Sandy Island but eat and drink and possibly play beach volleyball or layout.

The meal itself was worth the trip out to the island. So fresh and good. Best meal casual meal on the Island.

Visited August 2013
St. Louis , MO
66 attraction reviews
“Gorgeous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I love sandy island. I definitely want to go back. Sitting there, watching the waves of the atlantic meet the aqua blue waters of the Caribbean meet was awesome. The waves brushing up on the coral made a relaxing noise in the background. TheIs island is so relaxing. There is a lot to do like sunbathe, snorkel, and swim. The island's atlantic beach is littered with cool shells and corals ( good souvenir) and the Caribbean beach is peaceful and tranquil. The sand even turns pink in the afternoon. One of the nicest beaches I have been to. When people say have you been to a deserted island, I can say yes! Good for the whole family.

10 attraction reviews
“Beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

The Tango took us to snorkel. It was great. We say more fish here than anywhere on St martin. Just be careful we did see several small jellyfish. There is only one way in and out