“Almost a Five!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Resort at The Mountain

You added The Resort at The Mountain to your Saves list
The Resort at The Mountain
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   68010 E. Fairway Avenue, Mt Hood Golf Resort, Welches, OR 97067-9706   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Welches
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Beaverton, Oregon
“Almost a Five!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2011

We loved almost everything about this hotel from the moment we drove up. Before we even got there, we were thrilled to discover the buy one night, get one free offer during midweek, which had early check in as standard. The location is perfect for a winter trip as the roads here were not covered with snow yet it was a very quick drive up to the snow. The entrance area is beautiful with a well landscaped water feature, and as we entered the lobby, we were met by a crackling fire. The staff was friendly and helpful, and we were immediately impressed with our room. I thought the bed linens were gorgeous, and turned out to be some of the most comfortable I have experienced in a hotel, and we had a lovely view from our patio and were close to the pool. We also had ample storage - I loved the closet lined with all the pegs - and 2 spa robes in the room for our use - perfect for coming and going to the jacuzzi in Winter!

The first morning, we had breakfast packed to go so we could eat in our room. The staff again was very friendly and helpful, and I loved the interesting menu selection, but we found the food to be just average. My husband was expecting real Italian sausage in his omelette, but it was only breakfast links. The in room coffee was quite good however! We also used the puttputt course, which my son loved, and the spa later that day. The spa was really amazing - there was a mix up with our appointments, but it was easily fixed and they even offered us a discount. The building was beautiful and both of our services were great.

We really only had a couple "issues" with our stay:
The internet was patchy.
We were disappointed that microwaves were not standard.
There was no table where the kids could sit and eat or do activities.
My number one issue, however, was no high up safety latch on the door (actually no safety latch at all). Our two year old could easily open it with nothing to slow her down, and she got out of the room so we had to go chase her!

Other than those few things, we loved the hotel and hope to return some time!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Hillsboro, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2011

Nice rooms, clean, friendly - just right. Good value, especially with a package.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Independence, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2011

Great package deals. The spa is amazing- you will feel more relaxed as soon as you walk in the door! Clean rooms, great amenities, close to the mountain for skiing/snowboard, etc.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2011

Lots of little things made it a bad experience. Normally, little things don't bug me, but when it keeps happening, over and over and over, it takes away from your experience. I also worked in hotels and spas, so I know how it goes, and I can let it go. But this was just not good.

Check in was fine, but front desk had a hard time signing up my husband for shuttle and neglected to mention the lift tickets were cheaper when purchase at the hotel front desk, so he paid more at the mountain. We were allowed to check in really early, and the upgraded us to a room with a fireplace for no charge, so that was really nice!

Our (first) room was nice, good amenities, comfy bed, shower layouts are a little odd and spray water outside of stall pretty heavily. However, we started to notice extremely heavy cigarette smoke coming from the room next to us. I called the front desk, which was routed to an off-site reservations center, to find out if we were in a smoking building. Turns out the whole property is smoke-free. They offered to move us, but not until the manager was there (because all the managers had left for the day) but we were already settled, assumed we could just jam some towels between the adjoining doors and deal with it. I called back later and it went to the off-site reservations center again. They said "Sorry we can't help, but maybe try back when they aren't busy." Great customer service there. Then we started to hear the family next door. The father was swearing at his children, threatening to beat them (I am not joking--"I'm going to light you up!" "Don't make me get the belt" and "Lay your g** d*** head on the pillow before I slap you"). This seemed like a classy place, so I was confused a trashy family would be staying there (yes, I realized that's probably socioeconomic profiling, but I don't care).

As it turns out, there was a military retreat for active-duty troops taking over most of the property. What for, you ask? Oh, relationship building with their family. Quoted from one soldier to my husband the following day "So we don't get all excited with our wives and girlfriends and get them pregnant before we are deployed, go away, and come back to a stressed out situation." Too late for angry pop-pop next to us (and yes, I realize that not all soldiers behave this way, we have lots of family who served in the military and they have class and manners and are not violent).

We called to complain about the yelling and the smoke wafting into our room, they offered to move us to a suite and within 10 minutes, the night manager (Jenny?) was at our door, helping us gather our stuff and go. The dad started yelling while she was there in our room, so she knew it was not just us being crazy. She was so helpful and accommodating and helping us fix the awkward experience we had thus far. They sent us to a upgraded 1 bedroom suite, which was very nice.

On to dinner, I left that review on the restaurant's Trip Advisor page.

Back to our place. Great sleep, comfy bed, we might have been the only people in our building. Again, the room was great.

Next morning, room service. Called to order, but they were confused that we were not with the military group and would not be attending the banquet and since they were busy setting up said banquet, they had to call us back to place our order. We ordered 10 minutes later, prompt delivery from a nice guy, and the food was average at best.

My husband said the shuttle arrangements were great to get to and from the Ski Bowl.

I checked in with the front desk to see if I needed to keep my charging privileges to the room open (since I had a spa credit), or if I needed to close out now, since it was noon and check out time. They told me to wait and close out when I was done and leaving the property. I told them I wanted to use a different card, they said no problem. Cool.

I go to the spa, really nice layout, you can tell the put good work into the feel of the place. Great relaxation lounge and the treatment rooms were very nice. The steam was working when I checked in, I was stoked. I went and worked out on the 1 elliptical they had (but they had 10+ weight machines--very odd). The front desk guy from the spa was very nice, but awkward (really that is the vibe I have gotten from everyone at this resort except the Jenny). After my workout the steam room had been turned off, so I had to go out in my robe to the front desk and ask to have it turned on. Weird. I wait for it to warm up, and it is a great temperature. But what is that toxic fume smell? They have plastic benches, yes plastic, in a steam room. We all know plastic gets warped by the heat. Seriously--this is why most steam rooms use tile or stone. I couldn't breathe without feeling like I was taking a PVC hit, so I left. The showers: 1 was a dark cave and the larger, accessible one was lit, so I used that one. The showers heads are strange. They attempt to be fancy and Swedish, but the overhead shower nozzle sprays water ALL OVER. And it's cold! And you cannot turn it on and warm it up without getting soaked with the cold first. Awkward. I figure out how to just use the regular portable shower head, adjust the temperature and I am good to go. Went to the bathroom, and there was grossness on the rim of the toilet and a black ring around the water level. And it stunk. So bad. I bed they hadn't scrubbed that toiled in over a month! There were also empty rolls of toilet paper laying in there. I was there for a couple hours. Nobody tended to the disgusting bathroom. It wasn't a fluke, they just don't care.

I had 2 great body treatments with Christine. She had a great touch, was very friendly. Had a fun, relaxing experience with her. I had a body scrub, after which I went back to the showers to rinse off before my next treatment. One of the spa employees was showing another guest around the spa, pointed out the shower next to me (empty and had the shower curtain wide open) and the also decided it would be just great to fling open my curtain as I was drying off and show the guest me naked in the shower (luckily, I don't care if people see me naked). I said very calmly "Excuse me?" and the spa attendant got very flustered and said to me "Oh you poor thing!" Um okay, that's an interesting response. Then she took my robe, threw it in the dirty linens with my key still in it, and a few minutes later when I was finished drying off, I dug through the dirty towels to find my key in my robe pocket. No luck. I went out to the lounge to wait for the second part of my treatment and asked Christine if she could find my key. And she did, because she is awesome. Checked out at the front desk at the spa, and they couldn't charge it to my room, because the front desk already checked me out and charged my credit card on file. Really?

I go back to straighten things out at the front desk. The main building has literally a bunch of troops sitting on the front stairs, smoking. I walked down the path to the front desk and 5 men were standing there blocking the path. I said "excuse me", they didn't bother to move (and I moved my body sideways between them to get by), but had no problem staring at me (I got this a lot from this group, even with my husband with me, and I am no supermodel and was wearing cozy sweaters and jeans). At the front desk, I requested an itemized receipt before handing over my debit card, and she waived off my request, and started to list off some of the charges, like room service and what not. Great, but why can't you print something out for me before I hand over my card, especially since you messed up once already? Whatever. I clarified I wanted all the charges on my debit card, she was short with me and said "no problem" in a sarcastic voice. Listening to the other employees at the front desk talk, there is apparently several maintenance issues going on, including everyone being locked out of the pool area. Nothing goes easy here. I hand them my card, I paid for my rooms charges for food, my overages at the spa, room tax (not included in the package, I guess), and a tax on the resort fee (is that normal--to tax a fee?). She then printed out my receipt and apparently thought I was 4, because with a hint of sass, explained to me what parentheses meant next to the word "Visa". Come on. If I had questions, I would have asked. But apparently me asking for an itemization of my receipt before I give you my debit card means gives you the impression that I need to be treated like a child.

If you go: rooms are nice, beds are comfy, but bring your own food if possible or plan to eat elsewhere. For your own good, make sure you don't go during a military retreat weekend.

But really, don't go.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

Great service, very welcoming. Dinner was amazing, great cocktails too. The Spa was excellent! Great massage. Would recommend anyone to go there.

• Stayed January 2011
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

We've stayed here many times and even got married here in September. This place is awesome!! In the summer, the golf and outdoor activities are great. In the winter, Mt. Hood is very close for snowboarding. We came back and hit the hot tub and we're tempted to go to the spa as well....maybe next time. The people here make the difference. All of them are great. We're customers here for life.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Portland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

I purchased a prepaid room which included a credit at the Resort At The Mountain's main restaurant Altitudes. After booking a Fireside room several months earlier, I would have appreciated an emailed confirmation of my reservation, which never arrived.

In general, the staff are friendly, but not necessarily polished and professional. We were allowed to check in very early, which was great for us. The room was amply sized. There were 2 of us, but the room could have easily accomodated 4. The hotel supplies fireplace logs - this was a nice touch!

The room was FREEZING when we checked in, and while we warmed it up with heat and a fire; it was quite obvious that the front door and slider were not insulated effectively and cold air was streaming in. Also, as soon as our neighbors arrived, we could hear everything through the connecting door (it was closed)! If they had not returned from a long day's skiiing, and were in a partying mood, we might have been disrupted. As it waswe had a full night's sleep.

The room is also nicely updated and spacious. The toiletries are environmentally friendly and a recyclying container provided. I appreciated those touches. The television in our room was a flat screen and internet is provided!! I found the bed to be comfortable. Our room also had a small bar area and fridge.

The hotel did not deliver a check out slip over night, so a guest must visit the lobby to check out. I was a little put out that the staff member simply announced the amount of any extras and asked how I would like to pay. I replied, I would like to have a look at the bill!

I found an erroneous charge for a resort fee tax in the amount of .84, which I let go, but after she said I was set and reprinted the invoice, there was still an outstanding balance, which she could not explain, but expected me to pay. After I asked her to remove it, a manager had to assist her. Essentially, she was going to bill me an additional incremental fee, that she could not explain, since it was easier than trying to remove it.

We visited the restaurant on two occassions and felt the general manner of the staff was VERY casual. It is not consistent with the image the restaurant wants to put forward. In the evening, the service was very slow. Our dinner took two hours. We had nowhere else important to be, but the entire dining room seemed to be experiencing the same slow service.

Also, the hotel has a nice pool and spa area. We did not have a chance to visit the fitness center and opted not to go to the spa. We did want to visit the hot tub, but it was MOBBED. That was our own fault.

I would visit the hotel again, but would probably value a night's accomodation for a Fireside room at about $90; less than $100. I believe this is one of the larger rooms.

The management just needs to work on encouraging staff to be more responsive to client needs, and less casual. If this can be done, the service might better match the price point.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Resort at The Mountain? Share your experiences!