“Waste of time and money” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Kah-Nee-Ta Resort & Spa

You added Kah-Nee-Ta Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Kah-Nee-Ta Resort & Spa
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   6823 Highway 8, PO Box 1240, Warm Springs, OR 97761 (Formerly Kah-Nee-Ta High Desert Resort & Casino)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Warm Springs
Puyallup, wa
“Waste of time and money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2009

The pool was nice with warm hot spring water but other then that it was a waste of time and money. The food was worse then dennys. My friend and I threw up 2 nights in a row and felt sick. We checked out early cause we had nothing to eat and couldnt stand staying any longer. When we told the wait staff to take the food back and if they would take it off our bill.. she said she couldnt do that.. We tried all 3 restaurants and it was all equally bad. I would not recommend this place to anyone!.. If your looking for a nice hot spring place to stay.. try Bonnieville hot springs... at least they have good food. also.. In morning we woke up to people scream and yelling at each other at 7am .. the walls are thin and you can hear EVERYTHING.. I dont consider this a quiet place to stay.. Lots of noise and smoke..

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Northwest
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

Our family (girls ages 12 and 14), my husband and I stayed at the Lodge Fri-Sun. Our first room had bugs in the bathroom and in our bed! When we requested a room change but the second room was not better--insects all over the ceiling and walls which my husband spent 20 minutes killing. Both rooms were old and not as clean as they should have been. They can be described as barren--not much in them and just very outdated. Our 2nd room was much. much smaller than the first one and located by the pool--surrounded by drunken, loud adults...not where you should put a family with kids. Staying at Kahneeta is expensive but not at all worthehile. The more family friendly pool and lodging was at the Village so if going, drive in for the day but get a hotel elsewhere. The large pool and water slides were fun, kayaking is worth doing--but we had a hostile stable employee who called me a b(%@# in front of my children! We would NEVER recommend that anyone stay at Kahneeta....spend your money elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2009

Kah-Nee-Ta's location is wonderful; beautiful high desert, lots of sun, isolated, quiet, surrounded by the interesting nature. We love to be there and that is why we keep going back.
However, our experience at Kah-Nee-Ta service varies year to year. This year's was the worst so far. Here are what went wrong during three days there:

1. The 90-min. kayaking trip that we made a reservation the day before, made a full payment, and showed up 30 minutes earlier as we were told, was after all cancelled because one of the lifeguards did not show up.

2. The $120 charge for kayaking was so hard to be cancelled. We called the Village, who is responsible for the kayaking operation, in order to get the money back, but they told us to call the Lodge, where we stayed, because the charge was already made to our room. When we called the Lodge, they told us to call the Village to chancel the charge. When we complained, the Lodge front desk said they would call the Village and take care of it, but as we checked out the next day, we were still charged for it. Unfortunately, the credit card system was down that day, so we are still not sure if we really got reimbursed or not! I have to keep watching my credit card account.

3. The first day and second day, at both the Village and the Lodge, they told us that the hotel guests get free admission to the pools and free towels available even after the check-out on the last day. The third day, we checked out the Lodge, and went to the Village pool to enjoy our last swim just to find out that they suddenly changed the policy. Beginning that day, they said, hotel guests had to pay $2 per towel.
Nobody warned us that! In fact, our hotel room had "free pool towels" ready for us, but we checked out the room without them believing more towels at the pool, too.

After all these, I finally got very grumpy. Our vacation was somewhat ruined!
No, we didn't pay for the towels. Instead, we went back to the Lodge and without explaining the situation, we simply asked if we could use the pool at the Lodge after check-out. They happily gave us a key to the fittness room where the towels were. When we explained the Village's policy change, she looked surprised and said she would call the Village.

The communication between the Lodge and the Village is terrible. Now that we analize our stay, we were basically happy with the Lodge, but the Village operation was very sloppy.

If Kah-Nee-Ta managers think that it can keep attracting people just because of their great location and the hot spring pool, they are wrong.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Manahawkin, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

Looking for a place to stay convenient to our travel toward Mount Hood the next day, the resort was recommended to me by staff where we were staying. No one could remember the name exactly, and without computer access, and with no listing in AAA, I ended up calling the Warm Springs museum for the telephone number. Called and got a quote but did not reserve on the phone. Driving in, my husband noted a low price on the sign at the foot of the drive, so I asked about that and was given an even lower price for a king room on the 5th floor, with a view of the valley (they all have the view). It was fun to stay there with the novelty of being on an Tribal reservation. The pool was beautiful, and we enjoyed a light meal in the Appaloosa Room lounge during a comedy show. Not bad but a little too long and a little too raunchy at the end. A diversion. An off night perhaps? We spent some time and a little money in the casino. Not much compared to those even in AC. but again, a diversion from our sight seeing trip through Oregon. Visited the hot springs pool in the village before checking out. Very nice. Largest pool I have ever swum in, and so nice and warm. Facilities for every age group. If I were traveling with kids it would be fun to stay in the tepees near the big pool and other activities. The staff were very obliging and from check in I really wanted more time there, but Mount Hood was waiting for us.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Seattle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2009

Approximately 20% of casino machines inoperable
Business computer center has three computers, two of which are inoperable
Door to computer room broken and hard to open
Scratched paint
stained carpet
Cappucino machine broken - "Sorry, our machine is broken, we are supposed to be getting a new one but we haven't seen it and I don't know when we will get it"
Lobby staff answered the phone three times during a conversation with me. No focus.
Restaurant slow, inefficient and under staffed, quality compares to Denny's or Applebees at 5 X the cost
Food servers get A's for effort under difficult conditions
Except for lobby entrance area, common areas were clean and neat
We didn't extend our stay, feeling that the spa and paid tourist activities would probably be a waste of money

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Bend, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2009

Me and my high school Life Skills Program spent 4 days in Kah-Nee-Ta for our field trip. We first went to the Village Pool that has water slides and a jacuzzi, it was great in the warm weather. Afterwards we headed up to the lodge to check in. The lobby was nice w/ a fireplace and a gift shop. The rooms were nice and clean. It has a great view from the balcony and the two king size beds were comfortable. Me and my friends did the hotel swimming pool and the hot tub together for our friendship fun. They had great foods from the dining area at the hotel for breakfast, lunch and dinner, their foods were delicious. Tuesday night at the hotel, we had a hypnotist doing a show by hypnotizing some of our classmates. It was amazing and incredible. Some of my teachers, friends and I did 9 holes of golf. It was a pretty confusing golf course, but fun. The Kah-Nee-Ta hotel was spectacular, I would go back their again.

• Stayed May 2009
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2009

I have been going to Kah-nee-ta since I was a kid. We often go to the pool but hadn't stayed there for a while. We stayed up at the lodge a couple of years ago and we weren't very impressed, plus the smoke from the casino filters into the hotel at night--disgusting. This time we stayed down at the village. The rooms were nicer than I expected. We had two adjoining rooms. One was a standard queen and one was a kitchenette with a murphy bed (village murphy queen). It was a nice set up. The downside of staying at the village is the service; there isn't really a front desk/concierge; you check in at the entrance gate. When we had a problem with a dog barking next door we tried to call someone and there was no one to deal with the issue. So the quality of service was a bit of an issue; it was the same with the waitress up at the lodge in the Chinook room and with the housekeeping. I would say service isn't their strong point. One exception is the spa. I had a facial and it was absolutely fabulous! I was very impressed with the service and the quality of the treatment (ask for Reyna). And as always soaking in the hot springs pool is excellent for all ages. Overall, I give it the room, pool, and spa a thumbs up. It was a great weekend getaway for a family.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Been to Kah-Nee-Ta Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!