“Overbooked our reservation” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Kah-Nee-Ta Resort & Spa

You added Kah-Nee-Ta Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Kah-Nee-Ta Resort & Spa
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   6823 Highway 8, PO Box 1240, Warm Springs, OR 97761 (Formerly Kah-Nee-Ta High Desert Resort & Casino)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Warm Springs
Oregon City, Oregon
“Overbooked our reservation”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I booked a teepee reservation for mid August. I called twice and was told both times the teepee was available on the days requested. I provided my credit card number and received e-mail confirmation. The next morning I received a voicemail that our reservation was overbooked. I called and was told that I had cancelled my reservation. I explained to her that I had not and I wanted to speak to someone that could help me find other accomodations. I was transferred somewhere and got voicemail. Still haven't heard back. How does this even happen? Very disappointed. This would have been my families first visit to Kah-Nee-Ta.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Carlos S, Manager at Kah-Nee-Ta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
I'm very sorry that you've had difficulties with your reservation, Monica! Due to forest fires last week, our resort was evacuated until the 27th. We've been working hard to reimburse all of our guests who missed reservations, while continuing to keep up with future reservations. Unfortunately, we are a bit behind, but your business means a lot to us and I will personally make sure that you receive other accommodations. Please send me an email at
carlos.smith[at]kahneeta[dot]com and I will make sure we fix this problem for you.

Carlos Smith, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I have always loved this beautiful place, ( it was a beautiful place once a pon a time) but the peeling paint everywhere and the rooms are not what they used to too be. We were there a few days ago when the kitchen caught fire. We were allowed back to our rooms so we changed and went to dinner in Warm Springs. At about 8:30 in the place we were eating dinner announced that anyone staying at the lodge needed to go back immediately to check out. When we arrived we asked if they had booked us somewhere else and was told no we were on our own. There is no other hotel close by and because of the late hour we were forced to drive home to Portland a 2.5 hour drive. We are all retired so it was quite a harrowing drive late at night for all of us ( four) getting into Portland well after midnight. Terrible Terrible PR. There was no compensation for all our trouble. We understand they could not help the fire but we feel we were treated like cattle.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Carlos S, Manager at Kah-Nee-Ta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
I'm very sorry that our guests had to deal with all of the events of this weekend. In a situation completely unrelated to our kitchen fire, the Sunnyside Turnoff Wild Fire grew to a position where it threatened our resort. Working with the Fire Department, we were told to evacuate our staff and guests.

If any of our staff was curt with you, it was only because time was of the essence. Thankfully, we were able to evacuate all of our guests and staff, and firefighters almost have the wild fires under control. I apologize that we didn't have a chance to book you alternate accommodations and we will be giving refunds to customers who's trips were canceled ASAP. Thankfully, nobody was hurt and we'll be reopening as soon as we can.

Forest Grove, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Where to begin? First, I did not get housekeeping services my entire visit. I actually TALKED to the housekeeper outside my door around 10 am and requested services but then returned after a full day of pool to find that my room had not been touched. After contacting the front desk, I was informed that I needed to lug my own towels and garbage to the front desk for disposal. At that time I requested washcloths, coffee cups and other items. I finally received washcloths after THREE requests and never did receive more coffee cups. I could have overlooked this but my vacation took a turn for the worst.

That night I went to the "Grill" for dinner with my three children. The dinner was OK but not stellar. The check came and was unfortunately incorrect. After returning it to the waitress TWO times, it was STILL incorrect. At this time I took it to the Grill management for correction. After 1 hour of my time and many small arguments, the check was finally correct. Upon returning the black book/receipt to me I found that my credit card was not included. THEY HAD LOST MY CREDIT CARD! Even better they then proceeded to treat me like I was a lying crazy lady. They walked by ignoring me for 30 minutes while I begged them to look for my card. FINALLY I left and found the manager. He seemed helpful but 2+ hours later still no card, so I had to call and cancel it to protect my bank account (it was a debit card). Approximately 45 minutes later the Grill called and mysteriously found my credit card stating someone had "kicked it under the hostess stand". I spent the rest of the evening on the phone with my bank trying to sort through the mess.

The next morning I asked to discuss everything with a manager prior to leaving. The front desk contacted the "operations manager". He sat with me in the front room and took notes for 30 minutes saying stuff like "thats a good learning point for our staff" and "if you give me some time we will make this right". I also gave him my name and contact number.

WELL, here we are 1 week later and I have not had any contact, no phone calls, no attempts to "make this right". Not once did anyone try to make this right, comp my room or even comp my horrible meal. I never heard the words "I am sorry."

I absolutely left my BIRTHDAY vacation (yes it was my birthday) feeling more stressed than when I got there. After enjoying Kahneeta for the last 6 summers, unless there is a miracle, I think this may be our last trip.

Newport, Oregon, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I love the location, the pool, and all the activities that Kah-Nee-Ta has, but everything is way too high priced. My family and I got charged $7.50 for a hamburger plus $2 extra dollars if you wanted fries at their snack shop near the pool. They wanted $4.50 for a hotdog plus $2 extra for fries. Then it you wanted drinks on top of that it was a couple extra dollars a piece for that. I can go to Costoc and get a hotdog with a drink for a $1.50. We went to their grill area for breakfast and got a bill of $80 for 4 people to eat at their buffet and about the same price was charged for lunch in their restaurant and this was just for sandwiches, fries, and a drink for each of us. They weren't special sandwiches either. They were just burgers and fries. They charge way too much for food. Because I was staying in their lodging the pool came with the stay, but to use the water slides they made you pay an extra $4 a piece. THEY WAY OVERCHARGE PEOPLE!! If I come again, I guess I will be bringing my own food with me.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Carlos S, Manager at Kah-Nee-Ta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Customer feedback is very important to us, so I really appreciate you taking the time to write us a review here on TripAdvisor, Beth. Being in a very remote location, we have to spend a lot of money to have our food delivered to the resort. While this is an unavoidable consequence of our beautiful location, it does increase our prices. I'm sorry if this was an inconvenience and I hope that it won't keep you from visiting us sometime soon.

Waldport, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Located in the high desert country of Oregon, Kah-Nee-Ta offers a unique vacation experience. The ever-burning log, the Indian music, the chicken in a pot, fry bread, wonderful and friendly staff all combine to make this resort very relaxing and peaceful. The pool area is inviting and well kept also. Each room has a great view, large deck and adequate facilities. We did not detect any dirt or bugs and the air conditioner was quiet and efficient. I would highly recommend Ka Nee Tah but, just as the previous reviewer mentioned, don't expect the Marriott but do take advantage of a small glimpse of the Indian culture.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
It's great to hear that you enjoyed the unique culture, scenery, and experience of Kah-Nee-Ta resort! I'm glad that you found our accommodations comfortable and our pool relaxing. Thank you for taking the time to support us here on TripAdvisor and I hope you come visit us again.

All the best,
Washougal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We have always loved going to Kahneeta. But since the Casino has moved into town, about 20 minutes one way, things have gone downhill. The restaurant is very expensive with limited choices. We did not eat there but choose to go into Warm springs and eat at the casino. Be aware that the restaurant closes at 8 p.m. during the week. The staff at front desk did not know which rooms had tubs and was unable to find out. Although we had been there many times before they had no record of us. We also ride a motorcycle and have always enjoyed the covered area they provided. They no longer allow that, and it just seems like they have choosen to make guests feel less than welcome.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
I'm glad that you've always enjoyed your time with us, but very disappointed to hear that you thought things went downhill since your last visit. Since the casino has relocated, we have changed some things around, but are still working hard to provide guests with the same good experience they've always enjoyed with us. Thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback and I'll work hard to improve based on your suggestions.

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

If you are looking for a 'Marriott urban experience' then this is not the place for you. If you love long scenic drives over the mountain arriving at a charming family-run (Warm Springs Tribe) oasis, then this resort is for you.
Personally, I'm tired of the cookie-cutter 'resort' experiences. I'm not a yuppie. I like real people, unique decor, a beautiful panoramic view of the desert outside my private balcony and their Indian Fry bread (hot, freshly made) is to die for.
Yes, they occasionally have issues with the air conditioning, so does every other conference center I've ever been in. But diving into the small, cool pool that evening was heavenly. There are small 'nook' places you discover all over- a little fountain, a hot tub, walking trails, golf, the water park. But most of all it's the people- warm, gentle, genuinely friendly.
We had a conference for 70 people there this week, and we all loved it. Really, people, this resort is out in the desert, and run by an Indian tribe. Immerse. Enjoy the bison burger on fry bread, or the tribal-caught salmon, and don't expect to find 20 micro brews (and by the way, the people that ordered the homemade mac & cheese gave it rave reviews). The highlight of the conference was an excellent BBQ buffet out on a large patio, under the bright desert stars, topped off by an Indian dance performance by local tribal members.

If you're looking for an elite, crystal service resort, don't go to Kah-nee-ta. If you'd really like to get away from the city and have a pleasant and unique cultural experience, this is it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Carlos S, Manager at Kah-Nee-Ta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
We couldn't agree more — there's something so refreshing about "real people," "real decor" and a "panoramic" view! Thank you so much for this glowing review. We always want our guests to have a memorable experience with us, so the fact that you had a relaxing escape from the city is music to our ears.

Next time you're back in our neck of the woods, our door is always open!

Until then,
Carlos Smith, General Manager

Been to Kah-Nee-Ta Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!