“We love Kah-nee-ta” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kah-Nee-Ta Resort & Spa

You added Kah-Nee-Ta Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Kah-Nee-Ta Resort & Spa
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   6823 Highway 8, PO Box 1240, Warm Springs, OR 97761 (Formerly Kah-Nee-Ta High Desert Resort & Casino)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Warm Springs
Milwaukie
“We love Kah-nee-ta”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

My husband and I have been going to Kah-nee-ta resort for the past two years. We started there in 2010 as we celebrated our honeymoon, and anticipate our return each year. We are not gamblers so the moving of the casino is no big deal to us. We absolutly love the scenic drive there from Portland and feel an utter peace as we climb the mountain to Warm Springs. We have golfed the lush greens and rode the horses through the canyon, which was absolutly breathtaking and amazing!! We invision a family trip in the next year when our granddaughter is old enough to enjoy the natural beauty that Kah-nee-ta has to offer. I cant wait to get there this coming Monday 6/4/2012...
I reccomend to all,
Kimberly

Room Tip: Ask for what you want, a patio, non smoking and or quite hallways!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Sherwood, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

A girlfriend and I went to the Kah-Nee-Ta resort for Memorial weekend planning on having a nice weekend get-a-way and some fun. Once we arrived we were told the casino is no longer located at the resort and was approximately 15 minutes away but there was a shuttle... every 2 HOURS. I would think if you are advertising a casino that was on site... oops, I mean NO LONGER on site the shuttle would have been at least every 1/2 hour. Strike one. Next we asked about a band in the lounge and were told they no longer have live entertainment. Strike two. The morning after we arrived we had breakfast in the restaurant, we both had eggs benedict, I had a soda and she had a cup of coffee. The bill with tip totaled $50. That's pretty close to the most expensive breakfast I've ever had. If you want to eat anywhere else you have 2 options, appetizers in the bar (at least $10 each) and where we at for the rest of our trip or the snack shop down below by the children’s pool which is also ridiculously expensive. The service was rude and kids were running around screaming everywhere. With a children’s pool located down below it would have been nice to have the pool at the lodge adults only. After all, the lodge is advertised as a relaxing place to go.

Room Tip: Ask if there are children in rooms near you.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Sammamish, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

I normally don't write reviews but am writing this one to warn people out of a real concern for their safety, especially children. This review is only for the horseback riding operation at the Kah-nee-ta resort, not the resort in general.

The indians that run the horseback riding seem very nice, and I enjoyed talking with them and learning about their horse culture. But I imagine being on the reservation exludes them from certain safety requirements and liability concerns, because their operation employed extremely dangerous practices. Two main problems:

- They do not provide helmets for all riders who request them, not even for children. We were the first ride of the day and they only had a few helmets on hand, some too small even for my 8-year old.

- The biggest problem is their horses. I was told by the wranglers that they pull these horses out of the wild herds that roam the reservation (which seems reasonable), but they do not sufficiently break in these horses for trail rides, especially for inexperienced riders, and especially for the terrain in which these rides take place: hilly, sometimes rocky grasslands. My wife was given a horse that one wrangler described as "high-spirited". Thank God I traded horses with her or she would almost certainly be in the hospital right now, if not dead. That horse broke into a run off the trail multiple times during the ride, sometimes spooking the horses around him. I had only had about a dozen hours riding trail horses, and one lesson in the arena to learn trotting and loping, so it was all I could do to stay on the horse and not fall onto the large, sometimes sharp rocks dotted about the grass. The wranglers didn't seem too concerned and said I handled him well, but their safety standards seem far, far below that of all other trail riding operations my family has used.

One final problem with this operation is that our ride, which was supposed to start at 10:30am, was an hour late. We got there at about 10:20am and the office hadn't even opened yet, and the wranglers had just started getting the horses ready. Really disappointing, considering they were supposed to open at 9am.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Eugene, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Went over Memorial Day weekend, finally were able to book for a Sat/Sun, Thursday before we left they had mandated a 3 day booking Fri-Sat-Sun, evidently it did not work cause we were able to stay the Sat/Sun. Found the placed very dated and tired, no sound proofing on the outside walls so you can hear kids running up and down the outside halls and noise from the pool area. Creak, creak, floors above the people above us were up till 12:30 am and they arose again at 2:30, way too noisey. No coffee, remote not working and extra roll away bed in room, asked the next morning that these items be taken care of everything was except we have the bed in our room for the duration of stay. Soft drink vending machine was not working finally was able to purchase in gift shop. The breakfast buffet was overpriced and poor quality. The waitress and some of the wait staff looked totally bored and could care less, had to ask twice for coffee and juice, and again had to flag someone down for a coffee refill. The golf course - nice friendly people but the course conditions were lacking, tall roughs with clumps of grass, lots of under repair areas on the fairways, fairways were not mowed left tall and uneven in some places. This course could definitely use some TLC, in fact the whole place. I really do not see this established surviving another 3-5 years, way better places like Black Butte and Eagle Crest for your dollar.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Steve S, Director of Operations at Kah-Nee-Ta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Leslie M,
Thank you for taking the time to respond on TripAdvisor about your recent stay with us. We appreciate the comments you made and will look to improve from them.
On holiday weekends we do as do most of the other resorts in Oregon require a 3 night minimum for reservations. If we have rooms available the week before we will often open up to fill our final few rooms which we were able to do thanks to you and a few others.
I am very sorry about the noise from the other guests and I hope you called security so that we could make sure that all our guests enjoy a nice peaceful quit stay. I also want to apologize for the service and quality of the food in the restaurant and for the condition of the golf course. Your observations have been noted and sent on to the appropriate manager.
Kah-Nee-Ta has been here since the early 60's and we plan on being here for many years to come. We will be going through some renovations in the near future and you can expect to see many new and exciting things from us soon.
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

I love to hike and see the outdoors here, but I can do that at alot of places in Oregon. Theres nothing here anymore that really draws me to it. I used to love coming here as a kid, but have lost interest. They NEED to UPGRADE.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Kevin C,
Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay with us here at Kah-Nee-Ta. We appreciate all feed back from our guests so that we can stay the course or change plans. In your case we need to change and we are listening. This Fall / Winter we are starting the first phase of a renovation to our guest rooms. I can't say for certain when we will finish as we are just in the planning phase. I do hope you will come back and see us to experience Kah-Nee-Ta with all the updated amenities.
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

We enjoyed our surroundings and availability of self entertainment. We went swimming, played basketball, took a hike, road our bikes. It can be heavenly, but listening the the staff!!! I heard management treat their employees worse than young children being disciplined. My family and I witnessed a crew working in the teepee area setting them up, when it appeared as if the supervisor was aggitated with how the work was being done, barking orders like a drill sergent, wanting it done already, no concern for the safety of the operation. I would have expected a supervisor to offer water,constructive comments ,and assistance. We don't all need to live his bad day!!! That's just one of many, but this situation really upset me. The staff all over the facility seem to have a very low morale. This has always been a favorite family get away, but it seems to have lost it's luster. I'm certain we'll be back. Just hoping for a better cheerful enviroment.

The staff at the village gate and the pool staff were as expected. They were pleasant, helpful, cheery, and attentive. That is what I would appreciate from the rest of the Kahneeta employees at any resort facility.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Amy J,
Your comments are very concerning to me and I would like to talk to you about them. If you could please take the time to give me a call at 541-553-1112 ext 3469 I would be very grateful. That kind of management is not acceptable and we need to correct this. Thank you very much for taking the time to tell us about your experience we want nothing more than happy associates and guests. I have also passed on your very nice comments about the village gate and pool to those departments we truly appreciate them.
Redmond
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

$6.00 price increase from $17.00 including soft drink, to $23.00 plus $3.00 for drink is to much. My wife and I have dinner there 3 or 4 times a year. Use to have dinner there. It is a 45 min. drive each way. The resort is looking tired maybe it sould close down. You lose the casino and raise your menu prices, and forget your loyal customers. Goodluck with this.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Jerry A,
Thank you for reviewing Kah-Nee-Ta on TripAdvisor we truly appreciate your comments. We will take into consideration your concerns about our prices on the buffet. We have in fact updated our menu's all around the resort to offer more local and exciting options for our guests. We are also in the beginning stages of a renovation, and I will make sure to bring your concerns up when discussing our plans.

Been to Kah-Nee-Ta Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!