“Avoid Room 226!” 2 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Clinton, Washington, United States
“Avoid Room 226!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

Overall this is a nice property, but my experience was poor and unpleasant. I made a reservation three months in advance, and requested a quiet, top-floor room. Upon arrival I was given room 226, which is not the top floor, and which is directly above a bussing station for the restaurant AND which has a speaker for the restaurant music system recessed under the floor of the room. The music played until 11 p.m., then came on again at 6 a.m. waking me out of a sound sleep. The music was clearly audible in the room, even with the TV on. I requested a room change but was told the hotel was full. The staff was not helpful nor concerned that my requests had been totally ignored. Traffic in the area is very heavy. I had planned to stay two nights for a reunion with family, but left after one night. I would not stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: A room on the third floor, lake side, east end away from the restaurant would be the best choice ava...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Century01, Owner at Century Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Scott,

I am so very sorry to hear your stay with us was less than favorable. The Century Hotel has so much to offer our guests and unfortunately, you were unable to experience this.

At the time you made your reservation, we did not have any third floor lakeside rooms available due to a large event that had been booked several months in advance. Unfortunately, you ended up in one of the rooms above this event and there was a temporary bussing station set up outside the restaurant near your room. However, there is actually not a speaker recessed in the floor of the room you stayed in.

My most sincere apology that you felt our staff was unconcerned with your requests. There was simply nothing that could be done to move you to a different room due to the property being completely full the evening of your stay. The Century Hotel is a unique property and we pride ourselves on the experience our hotel offers to our valued guests. We have a very experienced and dedicated staff, of whom I am very proud. Some of our team has been with us for more than a decade.

I do hope you have an opportunity to come back so we have another chance to show you how truly special our property is. As a family owned, independent property, we take to heart each and every one of our guest’s concerns. Please feel free to contact me directly.
Tracey Sitton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Vista, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

We stayed at the Century Hotel for three days, and the hotel itself was wonderful: comfy beds, large, clean room, balcony overlooking the pretty lake. The only problem was the noise from the train. I am a light sleeper, so I had splurged for the Lake View suite in the hopes of avoiding any sort of noise issues. Unfortunately you can hear the trains just fine from across the lake. My daughter said she heard one at 5 am, my own wake-up call came at 7:00. My husband claims the trains were running all night. We had slept with the windows open, because the temperatures were just perfect - but after that night, we shuttered everything, and decided to live with the AC noise instead. So, that's the only fly in the ointment.

The other thing I wasn't all that impressed by was the "free" breakfast - in reality, it's free only for a very small selection of items on the "petite" menu, like a bowl of cereal (for 6 bucks? Really?) Hayden's is a pretty expensive place. We had dinner there one night, but in the end the food was not all that impressive. I recommend you try the Thai place instead.

What I loved though was the nice, relaxing atmosphere there at the lake. The kids had fun playing in the fountain, and we even caught a free movie in the park.

Room Tip: Lake suites have balconies with beautiful views, but you won't get away from train noise.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Century01, Owner at Century Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Thank you for your review of our property. We always appreciate when our valued guests take the time to give us feedback. I’m happy to hear you enjoyed our comfortable beds and large clean rooms. Being located lakeside, we are able to offer something unique to our guests.

I’m so sorry the train disturbed your sleep in the morning! It is a commuter train that is located about a mile away that only runs Monday - Friday in the morning and in the evening during rush hour when people are heading to and from work. It does not operate on the weekends nor does it run through the night.

As for the complimentary breakfast, I’m sorry you missed the many hot items we offer because we have more than just cold cereal! In fact, it is a very popular menu with the local Tualatin community! Non-hotel guests often choose items from this menu because of the size and value. I’ve included our breakfast menu below.

Bob’s Red Mill Steel-cut Oatmeal: served with brown sugar, raisins, hazelnuts and milk
Assorted Cold Cereals: ask your server for selection
Old Fashioned Griddle Flapjacks: two fluffy pancakes with creamery butter and maple syrup
Classic Breakfast: choice of one pancake or French toast with one egg any style and 2 slices bacon
Two Egg Breakfast: your choice of honey cured ham steak, pepper bacon or apple sausage
Meat and Cheese Omelet: your choice of bacon, ham or sausage
BLT Omelet: bacon, spinach and tomato with Tillamook cheddar cheese
Farmer’s Omelet: pork sausage, diced peppers & onions, Swiss cheese topped with sausage gravy

Thank you for your comments and I hope you come see us again the next time you are in Tualatin!
Milwaukie,OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

Very nice suburban, privately owned hotel that is a refreshing change from large chains. The hotel is situated on a man made lake which is the view from your room. We were lucky to see a mother duck with 9 babies. Lots of other birds. Room was clean and well appointed. The only negative would be that the staff permitted a lot of noise in the halls late on both nights, with no attempt to control it. A full hot breakfast is included at the adjacent restaurant...a nice touch.

Room Tip: Select a room with a view of the lake as far as possible from the lobby.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Medford, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Cannot say enough about this place. Stayed there 3 times, last being July 18th, and am very impressed. Treated like a VIP. Rooms a big and very clean and very comfy beds. The free breakfast was perfect with many choices. We sat on the patio next to a large pond and watched the baby ducks. I would expect to pay twice as much for a room here.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Stayed at Century Hotel for 3 nights for business. So I didn't pay the bill, but it would've been about $130 +tax per night. (so a little on the higher side than I'd pay). The rooms were clean and comfortable. Many types of pillows to choose from. All rooms have a balcony and the best ones are on the lakeside. So pretty! The road side rooms aren't too noisy with the exception of the garbage truck one morning.
It was fun to walk around the lake and in the summer they occasionally have concerts by it. Fun experience, but a little loud in the lakeside rooms if you were wanting to go to bed early (according to one of my coworkers).
Staff was friendly and helpful! and there is a nice lobby that several of us hung out in after work.
There is a restaurant attached (not part of hotel) that has good food and good conference rooms.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

Very Nice hotel, large, clean rooms, good food. Stayed here for 3nights on business. Only downfall was that the bar was not open later on Fridays and Saturdays . The owner was around which was nice to show that he cares about how the hotel is running.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Palm Desert
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

Our family group booked a total of 3 rooms for a long weekend stay. All rooms were large, clean, and comfortable. My lakeside king room was just wonderful with a nice balcony overlooking the lake. My sister and I spent quite a bit of time walking laps around the lake on the pedestrian only walkways - very nice way to chat and get caught up! The beds in the rooms were super comfy and the bathrooms were great with a fabulous shower. Hotel staff were super friendly and helpful. Really, I can't say enough about how nice the hotel was. The best part was the breakfast at Hayden's Lakeside Restaurant - our hotel guest vouchers got us anything on the petite breakfast menu, and let me tell you - these were substantially large breakfasts. Or you got $5.99 off any of their regular breakfast items which were massive. Very nice way to begin a day of experiencing all that the Portland area has to offer. Speaking of that, the hotel is in a great location - not far from Portland, the wine country, Lake Oswego, or the Columbia River gorge. Take your pick!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Been to Century Hotel? Share your experiences!