“Not great” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 48 Restaurants in Troutdale
Washougal, Washington
“Not great”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

We are new to the area, and went for happy hour. The margaritas didn't seem to have any tequila in them. The fish tacos were horrible. Seriously, limp flour tortillas, no seasoning brown tilapia, and the sauce on the cabbage was not good. Really not good. We won't be going back. The chips and salsa were pretty good though!!

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Ballston Lake, New York
“The whole family went”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

nice selection and good choices, tasty and good use of spices. I grew up in New Mexico, this is Mexican but I liked my camorones and the shrimp and cod tacos mt g-son got was very spicy in a good way...the frajitas smelled and lookd amazing and portions are generous

Visited December 2011
Gresham, Oregon
“First & Last visit to La Costita in Troutdale! August 5th, 2011...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

We were hoping for something unique & different in a Mexican restaurant tonight and decided to try La Costita in Troutdale and we left very unhappy and hungry actually. Heres why:

My spouse and I are from Colorado where there are some really wonderful Mexican restaurants there that are brave enough to try and develop new dishes. A restaurant in Lakewood Colorado called "Moose Hill" (yes, real name) for example, comes to mind and I encourage anyone visiting to try (especially the La Costita owners). What we've found in our 15 years in Oregon is that each and every Mexican restaurant we go to is exactly the same: Half of the plate is filled with rice and refried beans and the other half is filled with your main choice/entree. Can't someone in Oregon do something with a taco besides put beef and cheese and lettuce in it? I guess thats a taco alright but several Colorado restaurants make their own cheese sauce to fill the taco as well as other twists and surprises. I guess what I'm saying is, when I go to a Mexican restaurant, I'm hoping for more than the equivalent of what I can get at Taco Bell!

What was really surprising tonight (just got home-Invoice #000023 if that helps) were the small portions. And I'm not just talking about the main selection! I'm talking everything including the rice and refried beans! There were at most a couple of spoon scoops of rice on the plate and 1 big dollop of refried beans. We were a little surprised and wondered if perhaps the price or rice and beans had skyrocketed in Oregon (small joke).

I ordered the Taco salad because nothing else looked good on the menu and it all appeared to have a generic look that we were hoping to avoid. Our worst fears came when our meal arrived within 5 minutes. You might think that speedy service is a good thing but in this case we knew it was not. It reinforced our fear that we were about to receive another "average, just like all the other Mexican restaurants assembly-line meals" and we were right.

My taco salad was nothing special and rather bland in taste. It was neither hot nor cold in temperature but I can attest that the shell itself was quite tasty. My spouse's plate of rice, beans, 1 taco and enchilada was so typical, we laughed. We got the real feeling that all their food was pre-made and was perhaps just heated after the customer ordered. Maybe I'm wrong.

The staff was extremely friendly and the place seemed clean as well. These are the only positive things I can think of. But on't you come to a restaurant for the food?

We can't believe this restaurant is getting such high ratings! Have these people ever had Mexican food before? Have they ever tried a taco at Taco Bell or Carl's Jr.? It's the same thing!

One last thing that should prove that the portions are small and lacking: Weren't the only customers still eating the complimentary chips & salsa AFTER we had finished our meal.
What does that tell you?

Our bill was $20.37 (with a $3.00) tip and after spending less than 45 minutes, we left. Never to return. THERE HAS TO BE BETTER MEXICAN RESTAURANTS IN OREGON!
Save your money. There's nothing special about this cookie-cutter Mexican restaurant.

• Visited August 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“The staff is very friendly, Albert...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2010

The staff is very friendly, Albert, Sarah, and the rest of the crew are top notch. Great food and drinks, and the Happy Hour is amazing!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Portland OR
“YUM!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2009

We're from Southern California where the Mexican food is great and plentiful, so we are always looking for comparable food here in Portland. This is the first truly good no-apologies-"I live in Portland so this is good for Portland" Mexican food we've found. This place would be good if you were in San Diego or L.A., because those are the only truly good Mexican food places in the world. We are eating there tonight for our Christmas Eve dinner, it's that good!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere