“Very nice, but a little pricey” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Inn Columbia Gorge Gateway

You added Comfort Inn Columbia Gorge Gateway to your Saves list
Comfort Inn Columbia Gorge Gateway
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1000 Northwest Graham Rd., Troutdale, OR 97060 (Formerly Holiday Inn Express Portland - East)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Troutdale
Cedar City, Utah
“Very nice, but a little pricey”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Recently stayed here one night. It was one of the better motels that I have stayed in. Room was nice with a large LCD TV. A really great facility. I just wish it was withing walking distance of restaurants and shopping. It was more expensive than what I am used to paying, but it was compatible with the nearby competition.
It had a very nice complementary breakfast.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Loree_Harrell, General Manager at Comfort Inn Columbia Gorge Gateway, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
High season rates are always a bit of pocket shock, aren't they? : ) - with our location on the edge of the Columbia Gorge, this market does bump up a bit in the summer. Come back and see us again in October (the weather is usually beautiful in October)!

Very glad you had a good stay with us and enjoyed the breakfast. The Dairy Queen on the other side of the lot will be opening momentarily, and they did install crosswalks and signals for pedestrian use for the short walk over to the factory stores (and up the hill to the great restaurants and shopping in Troutdale, if you're up for a half mile walk to kick your appetite in).

Thank you for making the time to write - it's appreciated.

Loree

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

This hotel is undergoing remodelling so there is scaffolding around it. However, this did not affect our stay as the room was clean, comfortable and quiet. The staff was friendly. The hot buffet breakfast was good. The only down sides were the pool and the room plumbing. The tap was installed the wrong way in our room, so when I turned the cold water on to have a drink, I got hot water (forgot to mention it to hotel so I hope they fix it soon).
It is close to a small airport, but they seemed to have double glazed windows which cut out the noise. It is very close to the town of Troutdale for shopping and restaurants.

Room Tip: Top floor has less noise from other people.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Loree_Harrell, General Manager at Comfort Inn Columbia Gorge Gateway, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
It always makes me inordinately cheery when we have someone staying from Australia. I don't know why that is, probably a story from my childhood or something : ) - it just seems like a magical place.

I'm glad you had a good stay with us, in spite of the scaffolding (going away next week, yay!) - we have worked very hard to make the impact of the construction be visual only, so I'm happy that was your experience.

I don't know if it's good windows or good walls or both, but feedback about noise from outside is extremely rare from our guests, in spite of our proximity to the little airport and the freeway, and I'm glad of that.

Thank you for the feedback on the taps - we will get the contractor back in to correct that immediately. We had several rooms they plumbed backwards, and thought we had them all fixed.

Hope to see you again if you're every back up this direction, and thank you for making the time to write... it's appreciated!

star
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Booked this hotel through Priceline...stated they had a pool and hot tub. Did NOT. BAD PRICELINE!!

The desk was quite nice about it...but after a night of very loud neighbors...scaffolding outside the window (hotel under remodel- wasn't told that either when i called prior to check in), teeny tiny pillows, uncomfortable bed and a sub-par breakfast, wasn't a very happy nor well rested traveler. THE HOTEL MANAGER WAS GREAT- Laurie - and offered to refund half the night's stay through Priceline and waive the pet fee, which was acceptable. As a licenced travel agent, I often recommend Comfort Inns and would hate to remove them from the list due to one night's stay that was off.

Still waiting for the refund from Priceline...we'll see how that goes....

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
I am very sorry we started off on the wrong foot right out of the gate with the Priceline misinformation. Other than the thumbnail, none of those property pictures are our property, which I discovered last fall, and thought we had corrected. My bad for not following up more effectively - we don't get much business from Priceline and it fell off my radar.

The scaffolding comes down next week and we'll be through with the construction annoyances for the summer. I am distressed that you found breakfast sub-par - we usually get high marks for our breakfast and go above Standard to earn those. I'm messaging you directly about a complete refund from Priceline - the refund we agreed on should already have come through - and to find out where we missed on breakfast.

Thank you for staying with us, and we'll get this made right for you.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We were looking to stay on the edge of the city so the traffic would be limited when we departed for Montana in the morning. This was an excellent hotel that was VERY pet friendly. They charged me NO PET FEE, which I always appreciate. Very comfy beds, good simple breakfast and all for under $100 (including tax). Will definitely stay again when we visit the Portland area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Loree_Harrell, General Manager at Comfort Inn Columbia Gorge Gateway, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
We are most glad you and your family (and the canine contingent) enjoyed your stay with us. We do waive pet fees for returning Privileges members and VIP members, so it's nice to hear that is appreciated. Looks like you got in just before the summer rates (May and October, my favorite times to travel), and I hope you were here in the half of the month that was all perfect blue sky and warm breezes.

Looking forward to having you back in the house again, and thank you for making the time to write - it's very much appreciated.

Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I've been staying at this property since it was a Holiday Inn Express back in the late 90's...I would give it 10 stars if it were an option.

My visits from Gig Harbor, Wa. are always for business and the Troutdale location makes it a good home base for doing business in the greater Portland area.

Stay here...you wont regret it. Quiet rooms, great staff, clean, and a good breakfast selection.

Room Tip: Top floor is always best in case you get a noisy family or "thumpers" above...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Loree_Harrell, General Manager at Comfort Inn Columbia Gorge Gateway, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
I posted the missing five stars on our bulletin board, Tim. : )

I appreciate your recommendation that we're a good home base for doing business in Portland -we tend to be associated more with the Gorge than the Portland area, but that 17 miles between here and downtown Portland (with the whole east side between) is easily manageable from our location, and you get to end the day with soup and cookies and quiet : ).

I'm very glad your times with us have been as good as we intend them to be. Thank you for making the time to write - it's greatly valued, Tim (almost as much as your business over the many years), and we'll see you again soon!

Coquille, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This was the friendliest, most sincere welcome I've ever had upon entering a hotel. Loree was extremely helpful with info and maps for the spots to see along the Gorge and recommending a great walk nearby along the river for the pup. Later, Rian steered me to a fantastic Lebanese restaurant in Portland. It was like he knew exactly what I was looking for.

The room was totally clean and comfortable with all the trimmings at a wonderfully reasonable price. Internet was good. I can't think of a single thing that might have been improved upon. They were having some exterior work done, but were extremely considerate about limiting noise or nuisance. It seemed as though consideration for the guests was utmost at this location. What a delightful change from the average experience.

I highly recommend a stop here if you're in the area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Loree_Harrell, General Manager at Comfort Inn Columbia Gorge Gateway, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
(Think I mentioned it before but) It's easy to be friendly and welcoming with someone who is friendly and willing to be welcomed : ). You were a delight.

There's always a little breath-holding that happens when renovations are going on - the construction company has been stellar about keeping us in the loop well enough that we haven't had one miss on room assignments (knock wood). Thank you for noting that - we've worked very hard to make sure our guests aren't discomfited, so it's good to know we're hitting that mark.

I'll have to get Rian to point me towards that Lebanese restaurant! - glad you got him for that conversation because I would have stared blankly and then hit Google. Good that we have him out expanding horizons for us.

Thank you for making the time to review, Gus, we look very much forward to having you and the pup back next time through.

Bellevue
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We did a last minute booking and could get a King size bedroom under $100. The room was neat with all facilities that we would expect. It is around 10miles from Multnomah falls and 5 from Vista house. Opposite there is an decent sized outlet mall.

Had a free breakfast and it was pretty good. Great experience all together.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
It does make us so very happy when we get all thirty of those pretty green dots : ). Thank you for making the time to write, Aneesh, and I am very glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We're in such a spectacular environment between the Gorge and the Sandy River and the Historic Highway, that we want to make sure we're holding up our end and giving you a good place to rest at the end of the day.

Enjoy summer (it's coming, I promise), and we hope to see you and the family back in the house soon.

Loree

Been to Comfort Inn Columbia Gorge Gateway? Share your experiences!