“Charming/Loud” 3 of 5 stars

2126 SW Halsey Street, Troutdale, OR 97060   |
san diego
“Charming/Loud”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2006

I'm definitely of two minds about McMenamins Edgefield. For decor, historic preservation, originality and shaggy charm, Edgefield is off the top end of the scale. The place is so unique that I'm surprised it's not famous. Even if you opt not to stay overnight, it's worth stopping here for photos and a meal or a drink. Located in the far eastern reaches of suburban Portland, on the way to the Columbia Gorge, surrounded by its own vineyards and gardens, the main lodge looks like an old New England hotel--------red brick walls, white wooden veranda and cupola, dormers. Inside, the hallways are covered with murals, many of them with a whimsical or surreal motif. Actually, just about any surface at Edgefield is a potential blank canvas-------I saw a drainpipe that was decorated like some sort of Tibetan demon mask. (By the way, the interior has been left largely as it was when the place was a municpal poor house-------exposed plumbing, transoms above guest room doors, old-fashioned lighting fixtures,etc. Like I said, shaggy.) My problem with Edgefield basically came down to noise. Conversations in the hallway sounded like they were taking place in my room. There weren't many other guests on my floor, so it wasn't too bad; but if the hotel had been busy, it would have been horrific. I'd like to give Edgefield two scores: five yellow dots for decor and charm, one for comfort. Since I can't do that, I guess I'll average the scores and give it a three.

• Liked — decor
  • Disliked — sound insulation
  • Stayed October 2006
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2006

McMenamin's Edgefield is fantastic. We stayed in a guest room with a shared bathroom. The rooms are really nice, much bigger than a typical hotel room. All of the facilities are wonderful and the place has tons of character. It's hard to do it justice without a much longer review. Make sure you visit the Little Red Shed for a drink!

• Liked — character and value
  • Disliked — nothing, everything was great!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2006

This is a hostel-make no mistake. The grounds are gorgeous, but are an attempt to disguise the property and justify charging over $100 for a dorm room.
Apparently, McMenamin's owns many properties and this hotel shows that they are only out to make a buck. They cut corners and call it "charm" by providing no: phones, tvs, in room ironing boards/irons, hair dryers or bathrooms, and even no sample shampoos/soaps such as can be found in any Motel 6.
We paid $130 for a small sitting room w/a cot and another tiny room with a double bed. The furniture was pleather covered adirondacks which appeared to have come from a garage sale. It was so uncomfortable I didn't want to sit down. The floor and furniture alike were covered with dirt and I killed 2 spiders during my stay.
The noise level is constantly elevated (as in most youth hostels) and is aggravated by paper thin walls and loud crowds of drunken visitors to the many bars onsite. We had to have the windows open (no a.c., of course) and were expected to sustain the loud partying of fellow guests on the balcony directly outside our window.
We had to walk to the end of the hall every single time we had to use the bathroom which is even more inconvenient when you consider all the beer served onsite!
All of this would not be as bad if the staff were not so incompetent and rude. My brother had his wedding here and staff messed up his plans from the start by double booking his wedding and forcing him to move it indoors. Everyone in my party had issues with the staff from waiting 15 mins. for a carry out salad that had to be retrieved personally from the kitchen to waiting 5 minutes for a drink only to have a staff member cut to the front demanding a drink for himself after working all day. Another member of our party was told she would be charged $80 for 2 massages she had tentatively booked 20 minutes previously for not cancelling within 24 hours. This despite the fact that the time of the appointment to the massage time was about 12 hours. This particular front desk person escalated our member into a full scale shouting match in front of the whole lobby! We later saw this same worker trying to overcharge a Brit couple $2000 and trying to placate them by offering to lower the charges by $500.
The overall staff impression was that they were doing you a favor and they did not want to be bothered, e.g., I asked for a shuttle to the airport and was told, "We do not PROVIDE shuttles, but they could order me a cab." In general staff is extremely slow and laissez-faire and we found ourselves constantly waiting for everything. I understand that the OR lifestyle is known to be generally laid back, but it should not apply to hotels or other areas of the hospitality service.
The real underlying problem here is the price. I have seen and come to expect most of this behavior while staying in hostels in Europe and have never been surprised or complained. The reason is that hostels cost around $30-$40 a night-so you get what you pay for. If this ho(s)tel were $30, I would have no problem. It is the fact that they had the gall to charge me $130 per night for far less service than a Red Roof Inn and far more hositility that irks me.
If you are a normal, average person thinking about staying here, I say "DO NOT DO IT!"

• Stayed September 2006
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Poulsbo WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2006

I've stayed at Edgefield multiple times, both for business and pleasure. Always a great experience. Definately need to understand that it is a little rustic, shared baths, etc, but very relaxing. I've been there during weddings, music festivals, etc but always quiet. I love the large rooms, artwork, porches with rocking chairs. The food is excellent, the movie theatre a nice touch. Overall, a great experience for an overnight or a week. Highly recommend!!

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business
Mt. Angel, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2006

Visited for a company party and overnighter. As a first time visitor we came to the hotel with no knowledge of it's eclectic and unique ambiance. I was a little apprehensive of the shared bathroom, but found three separate bathrooms off the large Ladies Lounge more than accommodating. The bedroom was big, with high ceilings, clean, comfortable and adequately heated for the cold winter night. The food served was delicious, the artwork in the building fascinating and fun, and the pubs on the grounds very welcoming. What a charming place for an overnight stay or even a long weekend.

• Stayed February 2006
Show Low, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2005

My husband and I stayed at McMenamins Edgefield Manor September 3, 2005 in a king room on the 3rd floor. This was our 5th visit and it's still one of our favorite places! Most rooms have shared baths -- in this case there was a cluster of individual bathrooms at the end of the hall usable by either men or women, but other floors may have separate men's and women's rooms. Big terry robes are provided in each room for those walks down the hall.
We had dinner at the Loading Dock Grill (open summer only). The food was good but not great (the barbecued pork loin was a little dry, but the sauce and sides were very good). Beer and wine (made on the premises) are always excellent. Breakfast in the Black Rabbit Restaurant was terrific with large portions. A note for those who have stayed here in years past: breakfast is no longer included in the room price. We paid $85 plus tax for our room.
This is not a luxurious hotel, but it's lots of fun. Yes, the rooms are a little worn (hole in the bedspread, some peeling paint), but they are clean and full of character with the decorative painting that's a theme throughout the place. And where else can you experience an onsite brewery, winery, distillery, beautiful gardens, and a golf course, all in one place? We'll definitely be back again.

A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2005

This place was loud, uncomfortable, and not at all kid-friendly. Someone hurled in the water fountain outside of our room, which added to this hotel's "charm". Although there are pubs on the premises, several do not allow minors to enter. Not good when traveling with a 10-year-old, and a five-year-old.

• Stayed September 2005

Been to McMenamins Edgefield? Share your experiences!