“I was surprised I liked it so much!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Portland East-Troutdale

You added Holiday Inn Express Portland East-Troutdale to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Portland East-Troutdale
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   477 NW Phoenix Drive, Troutdale, OR 97060 (Formerly Comfort Inn & Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Troutdale
Dallas, Texas
“I was surprised I liked it so much!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

When my GPS erroneously had me turn off the service road of I-84 a block early, I was disgusted at the motel the misdirection sent me to. I finally figured out that I needed to go a bit further down the service road and pull in between Shari's diner and Taco Bell. Then I saw the Holiday Inn Express. Schwew! This was more like it.

Plenty of parking in front of and around the hotel. The lobby was open and the front desk staff was wonderfully friendly. The night clerk is even from my hometown half way across the country.

Yes, the hallway was a bit dark, but the room was very comfortable. It had a mini fridge, but no in-room safe. It was clean and well stocked. I met another couple in the parking lot, and we joked about how we felt we were the only people in the hotel. It was so quiet!

I grabbed a quick dinner at the Arby's about half a block away. I the drove east on I-84 to take in the beautiful scenery. This hotel is a quick drive to the Portland airport, about 10 minutes, and I went back to the airport to pick up a friend arriving on a later flight. Her check in was as quick and friendly as my own. We crossed the parking lot to the Shari's, a 24 hours Denny's type diner, and got her a late dinner. Save room for pie!

There's a breakfast room, open at 6:30, but we were out just before that to catch an early train to Seattle. As it turns out, it's such an easy drive into Portland, we would have had plenty of time for breakfast.

The location makes this hotel a superb choice for anyone not interested in staying in the young, hyper downtown Portland. Although its neighbors are a bit seedy, the hotel is clean, comfortable, friendly, affordable, close to fast food and casual dining, convenient to the scenic highways on the gorge to the east and Portland to the west.

I will definitely be staying here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

this was a convenient and clean hotel for me. Like a priori viewer I was concerned about railroads and truck stops adjacent to this facility but it was never an issue. Typical breakfast. Nice people. I would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013
Rigby, Idaho
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I stayed here one night with family while passing through the Portland area. I grew up in Troutdale and remember when this property was built, in the late 80's or maybe early 90's. At that time it was the Phoenix Inn. It has been other hotel brands and most recently became a Holiday Inn Express. It's a little rough around the edges and certainly not new, but it seemed clean and I slept well on the comfortable bed. There is an active railroad close by but I didn't hear much train noise despite my room being located on the back side. Check-in was efficient and friendly.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Portland East-Troutdale, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear ajnuff,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. I am very pleased that you found the bed comfortable and in fact had a good sleep on it. On the other hand, I am sorry we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectation specifically with the hotel's condition. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Sisters, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Stay here for one night while attending a memorial service for a dear friend. The room was very clean, spacious and comfortable. Used the fitness center and pool which were a welcomed relief after traveling from southern Oregon. This is a convenient location near the outlets, McMenamins Edgefield and Multnohma waterfall. I would stay here again if in the area.

Room Tip: we had two small dogs with us and had an end room near the outside door- perfect for getting them o...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Berkeley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

In June, my colleague and I got shafted by the Portland Doubletree hotel. Marisa and Erika got us rooms here last minute (11 pm at night) and were gracious and hospitable. My coworker and I were so happy to have clean, quiet rooms to stay in.

Thank you Marisa and Erika!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
San Leandro, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I picked this hotel because it was close to my relatives and the outlet mall I wanted to go to. Erika the night clerk was extremely helpful and nice! I had asked if there were kids or babies staying on either side of me since my past trips to other cities and hotels I was kept awake by either crying babies or drunks coming in late. She told me there was an older gentleman on one side and she will make sure the other side stayed empty! I had the best "out of town" sleep ever! She also recommended a great place for dinner and printed out some coupons for our group! The place was super clean, never have I ever seen a hotel this clean before. It even smelled nice. The maids were even nice when I asked for extra coffee everyday. All the staff members were very beyond pleasant no matter what time of day. The breakfast was okay. If you stuck with yogurt, cereal and fruit, it was fine. The eggs were plain and the tator tots not really done. I gave this hotel five stars and if I go back, will stay there again! LOVE this place. It is set back off the main drag so a little hard to find at first but then there is no traffic noise either. Not having a bar on sight also helped with the noise level I am sure.

Room Tip: Just ask for a room away from elevators, vending/ice machines and ask to have a room near single fol...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

The hotel is pleasant. The staff make a real difference. They are genuine in their desire for you to have a wonderful stay. There was recognition of my gold status and lots of friendly suggestions of what to do int he area. the hotel is a bit tricky to get to and our GPs had problems.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are better
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Express Portland East-Troutdale? Share your experiences!