“Excellent Cheeses and Gourmet shopping” 4 of 5 stars

Type: Specialty Shops, Tours, Farms
Attraction Details
Wilton, California
245 attraction reviews
“Excellent Cheeses and Gourmet shopping”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We have been planning this stop for this trip for awhile. There are tastings for each of the bries sold, we bought the smoky and herb varieties. We also picked up some cheese knots we cannot find just anywhere. There's a lot of touristy stuff as well, but if you know what you want it's great to have it.

Denver, Colorado, United States
12 attraction reviews
“Don't bypass this stop!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stopped in here on our way to the Tillamook Cheese Factory and loved everything about it. They have an amazing assortment of samples - their own Brie cheeses - but also lots of sauces, dips, dressings, etc. We didn't stay for lunch but I'm sure the offerings were delicious and served with the same friendly attention we enjoyed everywhere else in this establishment. Varieties of hard-to-find cheeses and salamis are also available for sale.

Wilsonville, Oregon
5 attraction reviews
“Delicious brie and chocolate, plus great petting zoo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

This was our first stop on our trip down the Oregon coast. I mostly was just dropping by for the brie (which I adore), and we also had a very delicious chocolate peanut butter truffle (it was expensive, but the two of us quite happily split one and were satisfied).

But the reason I am writing this is the petting zoo. My fiance is a suburban kid who hasn't gotten to hang out with farm animals... and I'm crazy about animals so I was game to buy some feed so we both could pet them. There are sheep, lambs, rams, a llama, a couple of donkeys, a bunch of chickens and geese, and an emu. They are all fairly friendly and extremely greedy. Don't expect them to care a bit about you if you don't feed them. I showed my fiance and also a little Japanese boy how to hand-feed animals properly, which was fun. (There aren't any signs telling you how to do this, so city slickers take note: you want to keep your hand flat, fingers together to prevent any inadvertent loss or damage to your digits.)

Fair warning: the emu, like most birds, eats by pecking. Hand-feeding will hurt! (I found this out the hard way -- this was my first encounter with a seriously large bird. The thing was taller than me). If you hold the bag open (and away from your vitals, please) the emu will stick its head right in the bag and peck away. I wish I had taken some pictures.

Anyway, $5 of feed (5 small bags) will last you a long time and is thus cheap entertainment for kiddos (or silly adults like us).

Visited September 2012
Milford, OH
34 attraction reviews
“Not the cheese company we expected, but OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stopped at Blue Heron French Cheese Company, a big, clean & family friendly place with lots outside for kids & adults (old farm equipment, etc) to see, and lots of samples of mustards & jams inside (but only a few types of cheese samples). Lots of other stuff to buy – we got a few items. The staff was helpful. They have food to order & tables inside & outside with beautiful flowers to look at while you eat.

Visited September 2012
Northern Great Plains, USA
14 attraction reviews
“Love the smoked brie!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I'm not sure exactly what level of sanitation other reviewers were expecting, but when you have samples sitting out for people to help themselves, there's obviously a risk of double dipping, etc. So if that's not your cup of tea, don't bother. Personally, I like being able to sample a wide range of products before purchasing. They don't make most of the cheese themselves, but they do have a nice variety available, and their smoked brie is wonderful. I found all of the people working there to be very friendly and helpful.