“A hidden gem of sushi in Old Town Tigard.....” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #38 of 121 Restaurants in Tigard
Cuisines: Sushi
Portland, OR
“A hidden gem of sushi in Old Town Tigard.....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

My wife and I have been fans of authentic Japanese sushi for many years and have frequented Syun Izakaya in Hillsboro for many years now. Recently we heard about Maki Sushi in Tigard and figured we would give it a shot.

We went in for lunch and ordered their Sushi Lunch Special which consisted of a California Roll and 5 pieces of Nigiri. Now, I know what you are going to say, "Really? A fan of sushi and you ordered up a California Roll?" Yup, I sure did, because if they are going to screw up something as simple as a California Roll, nothing else will be worth it.

What we wound up having was honestly the BEST California Roll I have ever had. They use the traditional vinegar rice, real crab, and it is amazing. The 5 nigiri we had included tuna, salmon, yellowtail, shrimp and albacore. All fish was fresh, perfectly cut, perfect temperature and wonderful with the vinegar rice.

Service was fast, friendly, and she even commented on the fact that we were eating our sushi in traditional Japanese style. Being a Chef and loving food the way I do, I tend to learn the customs and etiquette of eating "ethnic" foods as I feel it adds to the overall enjoyment.

In the end, Maki Sushi deserves a try. I have been back a few times since, and have found it to be as wonderful on each return visit.

• Visited January 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Seattle, Washington
“Wished we lived in Portland so we could be regulars here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

We were visiting from Seattle and in the mood for some Sushi. We found the ingredients fresh, the presentation beautiful, the service friendly, and the atmosphere comfortable.

Among what we ordered was the Sushi + Sashimi comb for two for $50. Among much of what you would expect (tuna, salmon, shrimp, Spanish mackerel) was also included Sea Urchin. I had always seen it and heard it was an acquired taste, but now my excuses for not trying it were gone. I found it to be a trying experience while eating it, but in retrospect would try it again. Also on the platter was the backbone and head of one of the fish (don't remember which) artistically displayed. Later they took it back and tempura fried I for us, for yet another new experience (it was good… crunchy)

The servers (whom I believe were the owners) were very friendly and eager to explain anything we did not understand. We were there with out 3 yo and 1 yo and we felt comfortable and welcome. The restaurant itself was clean and comfortable, although unless there was another room we did not see, was small and accommodated only 5 tables.

Sure there are good sushi places in Seattle that we frequent, but Maki tops them all.

• Visited September 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Maki? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Maki, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.