“Restaurant was just terrible; the room was great” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save 15% Now!
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in The Dalles
Sequim, Washington
“Restaurant was just terrible; the room was great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2008

I requested a handicapped accessible room. The room was very spacious and well-appointed with comfortable beds. However, the bathroom had only a tub/shower which I cannot use, although there were plenty of grab bars; the toilet was at a good height with a well located grab bar. The sink was on a roll-under counter and was very accessible, and there was a wet bar. The room was an excellent value. However, the restaurant, Portage, was filthy and reeked of tobacco smoke from the adjacent lounge. There were dead flies and cobwebs on the window sills, and the food was poorly presented and mediocre. The wait staff was not knowledgeable. We had complimentary chits for breakfast, but we elected to go to McDonalds instead. Enough said?

• Liked — Spacious room
  • Disliked — Restaurant
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2007

We stayed at this hotel during our class reunion trip in July 2007. We were very disappointed for the following reasons:

1. There were several two-story buildings in this hotel compounds. There were builging signs (A, B, C...) posted outside but not inside the buildings. Some of us were lost after we checked in the hotel.

2. No elevators were available. Some of us had to carry their heavy luggages upstairs, no regular help were available from the hotel.

3. No wheelchair access facility. One of our member was in wheelchair.

4. Very poor services in the restaurant. There were limited eating establishments nearby, so most of our members had dinner and breakfast in this restaurant. The manners of the waiter and waitress were very unprofessional. They did not practice the first come - first served rule to serve their guests. Our average wait time for ordering our foods was two hours. It was not crowd in this restaurant, so we could not understand why the services were extremely slow. Some of our members were so upset and left the restaurant without their meals. We stayed to have our meals but the waitress forgot to serve our salad completely. Some members did not get their coffee, bread or soup. It was the worst experience for us - most of us were world travelers.

• Disliked — Hotel facility and restarant services
  • Stayed July 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these The Dalles hotels

San Antonio, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2007

We stayed overnight July 27 2007, room D266. This room faced the parking lot and was on the second floor. There was no elevator so we had to carry our suitecases up to the room. No assitance from the front desk was offered or available. The interior halls were not air conditioned and the air conditioning was not on when we entered our room. The room faced the west and it was in the 90s that day so the room was extremely hot when we entered. We turned the air conditioner on but found that it was too loud to keep on. We opened the window but there was no screen on it. The least noisy option was keeping the window open and listening to very loud truck traffic going right by the room over the bridge which was directly in from of our room. I couldn't sleep at all. This was a very small room with a queen size bed. Regarding cleanliness, the halls had new carpet and I think the room had new or newer carpet. The bathroom was clean. The windows in the room and restaurant were filthy. I think the positive reviews come from people who stayed in king or suites that faced the pool (sections B or C). I can't possibly imagine someone saying anything good about the hotel if they had stayed in the room we were in.

• Disliked — Noise, price
  • Stayed July 2007
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Idaho
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2007

I don't know about other parts of the country, but in this part, $120 (the cheapest available at this hotel) is a lot of money for a room. When you pay that kind of money, you expect certain things. Moldy (thick black mold) showers is not one of them. Sure you get a mini fridge and a mini microwave in your room, woop dee doo. We get those in $75 hotels as well. They are nice enough to offer bottled water in your fridge. Just don't drink it. They cost $1.50 a piece. The tap water with some ice is good enough. That "extra" money you pay goes towards your breakfast. Its really nothing special. You get a choice of:

1. A pancake.
2. Scrambled eggs (cooked heavily in butter), 1 slice of ham, 1 piece of toast.
3. Biscuits and gravy

We tried 2 and 3. Nothing to write home about and definitely not worth that extra money you paid. And the wait staff is slow and incapable of multi-tasking (food delivered before you have any silverware to eat it with, etc... ) The room is average in size and has a network cable in it so that is nice (no messing around with wireless networks that don't reach your room, etc). The front desk staff was very nice. The hotel advertises free fruit in the lobby. Red Delicious apples are what they offer, and probably because they're about the cheapest thing you can get (other than bananas). Local calls are free until you reach the 25 minute mark, after that, they are 10 cents per minute. Dinner in the restaurant is the typical over priced steak house type of meals. They get you with this because unless you drive a few miles into town, there really isn't anything else near by (outside of the McDonald's).

Stayed July 2007
St. Albans, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2007

In contrast to some of the other reviewers we found our recent stay to be very pleasant. We had an enormous room with microwave and mini kitchen. it was clean and showed little sign of wear and tear. Staff were helpful and generally competent with the exception of one waiter who was clearly learning. There are interesting historic ruins in the grounds and the location is just off the interstate handy for the Columbia Gorge and Mount Hood. Food was nothing to write home about so we ate in our room after one dining experience.

• Liked — Large Well Equipped Room
  • Disliked — food
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Corvallis, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2007

I was pleased to find I didn't agree with other reviews I'd read. Perhaps work had been done in the interim, but I found the decor pleasant, the carpet clean and the staff friendly.

Room service was quick, and they were very accommodating to give you just what you wanted. The hot breakfast was served in the in-house restaurant dining room. The choices were adequate, and they were happy to substitute a little to accommodate a vegetarian.

In-room movies were wide ranging and up-to-date. Overall a very enjoyable experience!

• Liked — The size of the room (big enough for 2)
  • Disliked — Didn't get "partial riverview" room; could hear the freeway from other side.
  • Stayed March 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Lewiston, Idaho
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2006

Who is responsible for cleaning airconditioner filters? I would assume this is the responsibility ot the house keeping staff. My experiance in all hotels is that it is no ones responsibility!

We stayed at the Shilo Inn, and upon checking in I pulled the filter from the air conditioner and was stunned by the 1/4 inch build up of dirt. It was so gross! It took me 10-15 minutes to get the "god knows what" filth/germs/bacteria cleaned off of it.

This is not the only hotel I have stayed at that neglects cleaning the filters. And i wonder if any one in the house keeping staffs is even aware that this needs to be done at least once a week if the room is used daily.

The reason I check them is because My children have asthma.
Uncleaned filters allow bacteria, mold spores and dust as well as other airborne polution. This can cause people with asthma and other respitory problems to have increased and some times sever attacks. This can also cause people to catch the flu's and colds to name a few, of guests long gone. It also affects people with air borne allergies.

Most people dont even think about the air conditioners as long as cold air comes out of them! But since owning one I discovered that if the filter is clogged the conditioner will not blow as much or as cold of air. It also becomes a breeding ground for mold/mildew/bacteria and germs if not cleaned on a regular basis.

You would think with the way every one fears second hand smoke and other things they make unknowingly inhale,
that the staff would be on top of this. But to my experiance many don't clean them at all.

I wrote this to make others with breathing problems and allergies aware. Always check the filter before using the air conditioner. This one simple step can keep your visit a pleasure rather than an emergency room visit. It may also cause death in extreme cases.

I believe this can also cause many people to become sick if the previous tenents had the flu or colds etc, as they can travel by air and remain in a dirty filte for ever. How many times has you or some one you know returned home and became ill. Or had coughing or sneezing spells, but only when in the room?

At the end of my visit I filled out the comment card noting the condition of the filter. I wish (and I will from now on) I had showed it to the desk clerk and house keeping staff. I did mention it to the clerk, who appologised, while giving me that so what look. So what if I did not check it and it caused a sever asthma attack?? Some attacks can be severe enough to colapse a lung among other things.

Since I do not know if the comment cards ever even make it to the front desk or let alone some one who migtht actually do something to make sure filters are cleaned. I decided to right this review.

So please if you know some one traveling, especially if they have known respitory problems pass this information on to them and others. It is the only way I know to get the word out.

I am also going to see about getting hotels to make sure some one is responsible for the conditon of filters at all hotels. Until then I hope this review will help some one.

Chris Oliver
Lewiston, Id

• Liked — It was right off the freeway
  • Disliked — Cost
  • Tips/Secrets — Always check the filter in the air conditioner to be sure it is clean and not a health hazard
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Shilo Inn & Suites - The Dalles? Share your experiences!