“A Step Above” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Willow
“A Step Above”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

This was the last hotel that we stayed in at the end of a 3 month trip. We often stay at Best Westerns because we have found them to be clean and safe. The Best Western Hartford Lodge was one of our best traveling experiences. They are conveniently located just off of the freeway and offer a fridge and microwave in each room. When we checked in we were offered fresh cookies from the on site bakery. We used the pool and hot tub which are located in a separate building. It was warm enough that some guests were taking advantage of the outdoor tables and chairs located just outside of the building that houses the pool. We enjoyed breakfast before leaving the next morning where we had a choice of a buffet or made to order breakfast. My husband enjoyed eggs cooked over medium and I had an omelet that was very good. We would definitely stay at the Best Western Plus Hartford Lodge again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Shannon K, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Hartford Lodge, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thank you for writing this review on our behalf. We really appreciate the great feedback! I’m glad that you found us to be a conveniently located and safe place to rest during your travels. I am also glad that you were able to enjoy our full cooked-to-order breakfast. We like knowing that we send each of our guests on their way feeling full and satisfied after breakfast. Our outdoor seating areas are getting quite popular now that the sun is beginning to peak out more often. When the mornings are warm, some of our guests prefer to dine outside for breakfast where they can enjoy the fresh morning air. I truly hope that we get another chance to have you as our guest next time you are traveling through the Roseburg/Sutherlin area! We will be sure to keep those cookies coming!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Turkish first
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

This was my first stay at a Best Western and I was a little skeptical at first. I work in the hotel industry, so my friends sometimes refer to me as a "Hotel Snob". I have very high expectations when it comes to cleanliness, service and comfort. In this case, location was very important, so I selected the Best Western PLUS Hartford Lodge. The front office staff was more than friendly, housekeepers were cordial and respectful, beds were VERY comfortable, rooms were clean and the grounds were well kept. The business center was clean and easy to use and we really enjoyed the outdoor patio.
I wasn't able to get breakfast until my last morning there (I stayed 3 nights) and, while it is a "full cooked-to-order breakfast", it's really not all that it's cracked up to be. You're limited to ONE of the cooked-to-order items (omelet, eggs or pancakes) and there's no option, on the order form, to tailor an omelet. It just says "veggies" or "meat". When I asked if I could have just certain veggies, the cook acted as if I was asking for something quite out of the ordinary, but she had me write it down and she made it anyway. She was far from friendly. On the side of my omelet, I received 6 small pieces of breakfast potatoes and two half slices of bacon. They are obviously trying to save on food cost. Lastly, I was told that I'm not allowed to take my breakfast back to my room (I'm really NOT okay with being told where I have to eat).
All-in-all, this was a pleasant stay and my room was great. I would recommend this hotel for anyone who is staying near the Roseburg area, for business or pleasure. There are very few decent hotels in Roseburg/Sutherlin and this one is close to the top of the list.

Room Tip: There is a Denny's and a Bronx Bagel shop nearby. If you're looking for a hearty morning mea...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Shannon K, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Hartford Lodge, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
I am glad that you found the quality of service offered by our Housekeeping and Front Desk staff to be top notch! We do our best to make sure our guests have the absolute best hotel experience we can offer.

Our cooked to order eggs, omelets, and pancakes are only one part of our breakfast. Our guests are able to choose one of these items, along with two sides (bacon, sausage, or potatoes). We also have our entire Hartford Breakfast Buffet that is serve yourself, all you can eat. This is where you will find items such as hot waffles, a selection of cereal, biscuits and gravy, toast, assorted bagels, oatmeal, fresh fruit, and our homemade banana bread. I sure hope you were able to eat to your heart’s delight from our Hartford Breakfast Buffet!

I am sorry that you did not receive top notch service while you were in the Café. I will speak with our Café staff to make sure they are offering the highest quality of service that we always strive to provide our guests with. Regarding taking food into the rooms, we noticed that when we allowed food into the guest rooms, we ended up with many stained linens and carpets. This is the reason that we now try to keep all of the food and dishes in the Café.

I surely hope that you will come back to give us another chance to exceed your expectations next time you are looking for lodging in the Sutherlin/Roseburg area!
Portland, Oregon, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Whenever I have business in the Roseburg area I always look to this place for clean comfortable lodging and the BEST in customer service. Fridge on the fritz? Replaced even if I'm upstairs and the desk clerk is recovering from an injury!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Shannon K, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Hartford Lodge, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Thank you for writing this review for us! We are thrilled to hear that we have earned your trust as a repeat guest. I am glad that Kara was able to help replace your refrigerator, even if she is on crutches! She definitely tries her best to make sure our guests are happy and well cared for and we truly appreciate that. We look forward to seeing you again next time you are in the area.
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Having business to do in the Greater Roseburg area, I stayed last week @ a B/W in Roseburg, and was disappointed, soo-oo this week I tried Hartford Lodge in Sutherlin, what a good decision! Very well managed property, extremely clean rooms, the staff is right there for you, helping in any way they can, in fact Allison,went above & beyond to help me find my way to Girardet winery, which was also a delight. This is a fine place to stay, and I can find nothing to complain about!!, Kudo's to all that work here!

Room Tip: They all looked good to me, they all open to the outside, there is plenty of secure parking too.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
I would like to take a moment to thank you for writing us this kind review! I am very glad to hear that Allison was able to help you find directions to Giradet Winery. We do all that we can to make sure each of our guests’ needs are met every day. I am also glad that you found us to be a good substitute for lodging in Roseburg as we are only a short drive from the Roseburg city center. I surely hope that we get another chance to see you next time you are in the Sutherlin/Roseburg area!
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

By far the best ever Best Western we have stayed at and they are way better than just the PLUS - Close to being a PREMIER property in the chain. Being pet friendly was our first need and close but not on the highway was second. This property is very well run and I compliment the owners on doing a fantastic job with both the facility and the staff. Shannon and her staff at the Front Desk were very friendly and helpful at checkin and checkout. Rooms are great, comfortable and beds are to die for. Shannon made a recommendation for Pizza and it to was just as good as she said. Thanks for that. Sorry this was just an overnight stay but we will definitely stay there again when we travel that way. Full breakfast in the morning in a large setting was fantastic.

Room Tip: Take an upper floor if you can but its tough when you travel with a pet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Shannon K, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Hartford Lodge, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Wow! We are honored that you found us to be on par with the Best Western Premiers and that we were able to provide you and your puppy with a comfortable place to rest during your travels! Thank you very much for the compliments about our staff and our property. We definitely work hard every day and do all that we can to make sure our guests expectations are not only met, but exceeded with each stay. I am very glad that you enjoyed your dinner here in Sutherlin. We will be happy to provide you with more suggestions next time you are in our area. Some restaurants even have special deals for guests of ours! We look forward to serving you again soon!
Kent, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We were very impressed with this hotel, it was extremely clean and large enough not to feel cramped with three adults and all of our luggage. The bathroom was one of the bigger ones I have ever seen in a hotel and was grateful for the large counter and the makeup table. The drapes did not let any outside light in (yay). Nice to have a refrigerator and microwave.

It was kinda weird checking inside the building and then going thru a glass door to outside to go to your room but hey the glass door opened both ways so that was great when coming or going with your luggage.

When we checked in we were given a coupon for a free cookie but being they didn't have any to our liking so we decided to wait until the next morning to claim our cookies. I am very pleased that they provided a real breakfast, the three of us had an omelet however we didn't feel that we were getting enough even with the 1 strip of bacon and the 4 little potatoes. Glad there was other items on the buffet to fill us up. It was during breakfast that I saw the lady in the kitchen and asked her if she would be making chocolate chip cookies she just mentioned how she just pulled some out and I gave her my coupon and off we were with our cookies happy as can be.

In the description of the hotel it says they have an indoor pool and jacuzzi, while that is true is is NOT attached to the hotel and if you use it you will have to walk through out the parking lot.

We are thinking of reasons we can come back to this hotel and enjoy it a little longer next time, would love to sit outside and enjoy the patio.

One other thing that was a little annoying.....we made several trips down to the car to load our luggage and every time we came back the front desk clerk/s always said good morning, welcome back was everything ok, etc. I know that is how they were trained and they are trying to be polite and nice but after a while you you think they saw it was the same people over and over again. Oh well I would rather have them be that way than to ignore me all together!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
I’m very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us! We do our best to provide each of our guests with the best hotel experience we can offer! I know it can be a bit chilly to walk to the center of the parking lot to access our pool and Jacuzzi t his time of year, but this does help to keep any pool room noise disturbing our guests in their rooms. As soon as summer hits and families start traveling together, we are very grateful for our detached pool building. I am sorry that you didn’t get large enough portions at the omelet bar. I hope that next time you are able to ask the chefs for more, as I know they would be more than happy to provide you with whatever you please. Your satisfaction is our main goal! I do hope that you are able to come up with another reason to visit us soon! With the weather getting warmer, it is a great time to start planning a trip up the North Umpqua River for the many beautiful waterfall hikes, great fishing, and scenic swimming holes! The Wildlife Safari, Oregon’s world famous wildlife park, is another destination worth making a trip to see. I look forward to seeing you again soon!
Tacoma, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I had to make an emergency trip to California to bury my Mother. After driving for 9 hours it started to rain and I decided to stop for the night. I\My wife saw the Best Western sign and we pulled in. After being greeted by a very friendly young woman, we were told that in the morning we could get a hot breakfast in the cafe in the morning where the chef would prepare our meals for us. What a shock, I have never had a chef make breakfast for me when I stayed at a Hotel. Breakfast was great it made the rest of the drive bearable. I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to write this lovely review for us. I am very sorry to hear about the circumstances that lead to you to our hotel, but I am thrilled that we were able to give you a safe and comfortable place to rest and recharge for the trip ahead. I sincerely hope that we get another chance to serve you next time you are traveling through our area. We will happily prepare another fresh cooked omelet for you and make sure your sweet tooth is satisfied with our home baked cookies upon checkin!

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Hartford Lodge? Share your experiences!