“Fresh fish, no frills.” 4 of 5 stars

Description: Fish & Chips Dungeness Crab
Portland, Oregon
“Fresh fish, no frills.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

These folks serve up REALLY fresh fish. We watched a truck pulling a boat pull in and moments later, the kitchen staff was carrying fresh salmon in by their gills. While you're waiting in line to place your order, peruse the fresh case to appreciate what beautiful, fresh seafood looks like. Stunning. I didn't notice that there was much beyond the "( ) and chips" menu options, but that was what we wanted so we were okay with that. The orders were cooked quickly and perfectly and served hot. We sat at the picnic tables outside by the highway. The "chips" are not given much thought -- standard frozen crinkle cut -- and that is unfortunate. The clam chowder also needs some work. Pretty much potatoes and clams in a thick milk base. But the scallops and oysters were perfectly cooked in a light batter--crunchy on the outside, moist and tender inside. I left my fries to the seagulls. By the way, they will cooked your own caught crab if you bring it to them.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Abbotsford, Canada
“More than meets the eye”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Our hotel was just down the street so based on other reviews we decided to give it a try after driving by it a few times. It doesn't look like much on the outside but the food was good and the service was friendly. The atmosphere was great, with locals and tourists thrown together in a relaxed atmosphere. Had the chowder and crab dinner, loved both

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dallas, Texas
“Totally unexpected.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

This market and restaurant was recommended to us by a family member to be sure to go there. She was right. Funky, Unexpected. The food was good and the pricing reasonable. Most likely will go again the next time we are in that area.

Visited June 2013
“Really is a wonderful find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

So I am local, I love great food, I am very picky, that being said I really like this place and the people. So one day I was having great difficulty w/ a smoked oyster recepe and I popped in to the South Beach Fish market to ask them Questions. They were happy to help me w/ my problem. Thank you South Beach Fish Market, with there help my dish is now an award winning dish.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Fresh, cheap, and rustic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

When we asked a local about dungeness crab, we were referred to the South Beach Fish Market. It is a roadside shack/dive just over the Newport Bridge, but it is definitely popular with the locals. You will get reasonably priced fresh fish here, just don't expect table service or clean tables/seats. The whole and half crabs are served cold. Go here for a down-home fresh fish meal. Just don't wear your church clothes!

Visited July 2013