“Beautiful Location But Disappointing Experience” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Lodge at Suttle Lake

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sisters
The Lodge at Suttle Lake
You added The Lodge at Suttle Lake to your Saves list
13300 Highway 20, Sisters, OR 97759   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Sisters B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Francisco
“Beautiful Location But Disappointing Experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

Suttle Lake was beautiful and not overly-developed. Sitting on the outdoor porch and looking at the lake was the best experience at the lodge. Our room, we stayed at the main lodge, was also nice and spacious (we stayed in the room with loft) and had a wonderful view of the lake. But, the staff were not welcoming or helpful, you felt like you had walked into someone's house and they were annoyed that you stopped by. There were rules for everything and they let you know when you accidentally violated a rule. They have a wine happy hour each afternoon, but you only get one small glass. Our room had spider webs on the lamp. On our second day there, we left our room in the morning to enjoy the lake, but we had to stay out all day because our room wasn't made up until 4:00 p.m. At about 2:00 p.m., I asked the front desk if our room was going to be made up and let them know that it was still unmade. I got no reaction from the staff. Houskeeping also didn't refill the coffee supplies. The food at the restaurant was not very good and service was horrendous. One night we brought our own wine bottle to dinner and the waiter opened it for us and then put wine glasses on the table and walked away - we had to pour our own wine. We then looked to see if they were going to charge a corkage fee, and they did. Sisters is a cute town. We will not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
SuttleLake, General Manager at The Lodge at Suttle Lake, responded to this review, January 21, 2010
I am sorry that you had experienced such a poor level of customer service on multiple levels. Though it is always my goal to turn the corner quickly on staffing issues that effect guests like this, I am sorry that I did not correct this in time for your stay with us.

We do have a dynamic new front desk manager who used to be the director of travel Oregon and has led the charge on getting not only the lodge staff but the whole property Q certified through Travel Oregon’s Q Program. The new management team still believes overall that customer service is something that is personal and heart felt and they are building a great front line staff for this season. The New Housekeeping Manager has brought a new level of detail and timeliness to the property and our front restaurant staff is now run by a new manger that has a passion for food and through being a chef in Portland and knows the importance of detailed service.

If you decide to visit Central Oregon again, our new team would be more then happy to meet you and provide a personal guide of the area for you if you like.
I am very proud of the team we have today and am once again sincerely sorry for your poor experience at what to me, now sounds like a foreign property.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Des Moines, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

First off, I have to say that unlike some reviewers the highway noise did not bother us and we found the setting to be relaxing, beautiful and tranquil. We also found most of the staff to be extremely kind and friendly even though they were not always able to improve our situation.

My main complaint is that this place seems to be trying to sell itself as upscale accommodations in the area. And while it has a great setting and nicely designed space, it falls short in providing a level of accommodation and service that customers paying these prices expect.

Our problems started about 5 or 6 days before we left on our trip when someone called us to let us know that the room we had booked on the Lodge's website was not actually available. I insisted that we wanted the type of room we had booked, a deluxe suite with a view of the lake, and after the staff person made another call we were assured we would have the room we wanted.

Upon check in, the room we wanted was available. We were very excited to stay at the Suttle Lake Lodge. We had a lovely dinner at the restaurant two years ago and made a point to return to the area just to stay there for what we hoped would be a relaxing and tranquil 3 night stay. We were also impressed upon our arrival with the details and craftsmanship of the place. It is quite lovely. (Throughout our stay, though, I did keep wishing there were more comfortable places to sit in the public areas. The adirondack chairs were okay, but not comfortable enough to settle into with a book for a good long sit.)

Well, we arrived during an unusually hot period to find that the rooms in the lodge do not have air conditioning! This was an upper floor room in the main lodge. The public spaces have air conditioning and the building is only five years old. I don't understand the decision to not air condition these spaces. It was a little warmer than normal, but second floor rooms do get warm in general in the summer. After discussing this with the manager we were allowed to shorten our stay without penalty (they normally require 60 days cancellation notice--red flag!!!), but we still decided to stay for two nights because the Five Pines Resort (a much better alternative in the area) in Sisters was booked.

We had booked the larger room with the lake view because we had planned to be able to relax in our room. Well, that was no longer an option as it was way too warm to be comfortable in the room during the day. The best we could hope for was that it would cool down enough to sleep at night, which it did not the first night. The second night was okay.

So, maybe we shouldn't have expected air conditioning in Oregon...I'm willing to accept that. However, now let me list everything else that was wrong: 1. The Ceiling fan in our room didn't work..when it did, the light would turn on and off intermittently. When I reported this to the manager she laughed it off and mentioned that others had complained before, but the maintenance man couldn't find anything wrong with it. Maybe they have ghosts, she suggested! 2. The whole place was not very clean...the restaurant especially, but even our room had some stains and dead bugs. 3. The TV did not work on our 2nd night. 4. Our room was not cleaned on our second day. We returned to our room at 7 pm to find it dirty. We complained and the seemingly overworked girl working reception made a valiant effort to clean our room for us. The most disturbing thing about this is that they acknowledged having a problem with one of the housekeepers that day, yet did nothing to communicate this to us or do anything about this until we complained. 5. The screens on the windows didn't fit properly so bugs got into our room. 6. They no longer offer hot breakfast, but a continental breakfast in a basket delivered to your room (late one morning, on time the next). 7. There were no coffee filters in the room to make coffee. 8. Sheets were scratchy!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
I am not sure where to start, but to say that your experience last summer was beyond unacceptable. And I am personally sorry that I was not able to speak to you in person and handle the problems you faced as well as the manner in which they were addressed by the previous Front Desk Manager. As much as it pains our current staff and management team to read about your experience, they have; even though almost all are new as of September 2009. The Current Staff at The Lodge at Suttle Lake, has kept with my high expectations of this property and continue to execute on a superior level. I would hope to be able to have you experience that if you ever make it to Central Oregon again.
Feel free to call me directly if you wish to. My number is
541-595-2628 Ext. 206 and I will personally make sure that your time here is that to remember. Curtis Coronado, GM
Bend, OR
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2009

Went for a family wedding, which was amazing and one of the most beautiful venues in all of Oregon, but.....

In the restaurant, there was this extremely RUDE and PRETENTIOUS manager who walked around "puting on a show" for guests, which mainly consisted of belittling people and spouting useless wine knowledge. His shallow attempt to impress people was completely lost, the table next to us left less gratuity for their server because they were so upset (poor server). He also walked around and was rude and abbrasive towards other customers.

I was also SHOCKED and DISMAYED when our breakfast and lunch server also served as our bartender (three nights in a row), which made it a 19 hour day for him!!! They should be reported to the STATE for bad business practices!! He, of course was extremely helpful and very cordial all three days we were there, and also gave me great advice on traveling to the San Juan Islands in Washington State.

The wedding went according to plan, I sympathize with the poor Event Coordinator at the Lodge as the bride hard to please, though she also worked her butt off pulling the 19 hour days as well (there for breakfast/lunch/dinner/party and everything in between).

The owner of the Lodge was EXTREMELY rude and walked in on the wedding reception (with camera in tow). This woman should be tought some manners, and seriously needs to work on her professionalism (the bride was more pissed about that than anything else).

$300/night for a room is absolutely ludacris considering you can hear the highway traffic (about 100 feet from the resort), with a 2 night minimum stay!?! That is someone's MONTHLY RENT!!!

Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
I agree that we are very fortunate to be located on such a beautiful location in Oregon here at The Lodge at Suttle Lake.
I believe that this was an event that took place in Sept 2008. This was back before we had obtained and built a strong professional team of managers that is able to 1, staff correctly so that our staff feels like they succeeded everyday they go home vs. being tired, and defeated; and 2, care about the guest and listen to them on such an intuitive level that we are able to humbly make them feel at home, and accommodate their needs.
Which I feel we have done successfully for months now.
I can not speak to the issue of the owner as I do not know of the details of what you describe, but it does sound uncanny.

As of today, I must say we have a devoted staff that cares deeply about the people holding their event here and insulating them from anything happening during their time here that isn't planned. Not to mention they are consistently coming up with inspiring ways to accommodate small and large groups that is unique to the industry.
I am sorry that this is the story you left with. I am. If there is anything that I can do today to help right some of these things, please let me know. Curtis Coronado, General Manager
Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2009

From the gorgeous handcarved lodge doors and inviting smell of a warm fire when you enter, to the luxurious rooms and amazing views of Suttle Lake, the Lodge at Suttle Lake exceeded all my expectations.

Cynthia (I think that was her name) at the front desk accomodated all my requests and had the New Moon Suite perfectly ready when we arrived. Our room was gorgeous, and since it had just snowed the day before, we were treated to a view of a sunny sunset over the lake, through snow-covered trees. Even though the Boathouse Restaurant was closed (it was Thursday off-season), the Chef Keith offered 3 entrees for us to eat by the fire in the great room. Between the fresh, organic greens, ridiculously tender and flavorful local buffalo chop, and light lavendar creme brulee, the meal was as good as anything I've had at 5-star restaurants in cities around the world. Our server Alby's excellent professionalism and knowledge of wines, and Keith's visit to our table, were subtle enough to be helpful without being intrusive.

After a great night's sleep on a pedestal king-sized bed, long soaks in the whirlpool bath, and a great breakfast in the restaurant by the lake, we got massages and unwillingly packed up to meet friends in Bend.

We will definitely be back, and highly recommend staying in the Lodge for anyone looking for a luxurious, romantic getaway.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2009

We arrived about 20 minutes prior to check-in time and were willing to wait if necessary to check in. But the unpleasant young woman at the desk retreated to the office and shut the door on us! When we booked two days earlier we had been assured that there was plenty of availability and we could upgrade if we wished upon arrival. Yet when we asked the unpleasant receptionist about availability of other units we were told that everything else was full that night. That was absolutely NOT the case as there weren't more than a couple of other units occupied. We spent a most unpleasant night in a dirty cabin filled with highway noise. In the morning when we checked out - as early as we could! - we mentioned that there appeared to have been many cancellations for the night before. At that point, the manager/owner appeared, listened and apologized. She offered us another complimentary night to compensate but we were traveling and had other reservations. However, we were still charged the full amount for our one miserable night.

We stayed at other "Select Registry" properties during our month-long trip and we are completely baffled as to how this inn qualified. It is NOT a quiet retreat but is located adjacent to a busy public beach just off a busy and noisy highway.

• Disliked — The receptionist was rude and untruthful.
  • Stayed September 2008
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2009

We visited the lodge in Oct. and was totally satisfied. The rooms are spacious and very nice. The breakfasts were totally filling and delicious. We enjoyed the wine at happy hour and used the front porch to set and enjoy the lake. The lodge is a great adult retreat.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2008

We booked this hotel for Thanksgiving weekend as a get-away for our family of four, including two teenagers. Our room, a loft suite, was extremely comfortable with a queen bed downstairs and two singles with a small sitting area upstairs. Lake view through the trees, fireplace and cute touches such as our own resident teddy bear, a hand-carved checkers board with the pieces cut from branches. The room rate included breakfast for all of us which turned out to be extremely generous in size, and delicious, particularly the eggs benedict. I found the staff at the restaurant, in particular, extremely friendly, and during the day you have beautiful views of the lake from the restaurant windows.
The main lodge room has a fireplace, comfortable chairs, and tables set up by the picture windows. There are a varety of games available. We took a beautiful 3 1/2 mile walk around the lake right from the lodge door. Overall we enjoyed our stay, however, I wouldn't book again over Thanksgiving weekend, because all day Friday and Saturday they spent decorating the main lodge rooms and stairs for Christmas. This meant that there was no where to sit in the main room all day as stuff was literally strewn everywhere, hardly an inch of floor space, and we were stepping over wires a foot off the ground going up the stairs. We spent the afternoon and evening in Sisters so it wasn't a big deal but Saturday we felt cooped up in our room until the evening.
Saturday they set up a lovely "illumination" ceremony for guests and the local community, with hors d'ouvres, cookie decorating, eggnog, and carolling. I would recommend going to stay on the Saturday after the decorating is complete because that was very nice for kids and adults.
Overall a very nice lodge, I would especially recommend it for couples. They put a lot of effort into the details here.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Lodge at Suttle Lake? Share your experiences!