“G” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Dessert
Portland OR
“G”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2010

OK. The food here won't knock your socks off, nor it is it intended to. This is very good comfort food served in a setting that is O.M.G. massive Northwest Lodge... and massive is the operative word.

We'd been passing Camp 18 on a pretty regular basis on our trips from Portland to the Oregon Coast but moving right along because it looked pretty much like the sort of tourist destination that I'd rather go hungry than patronize. Fortunately, in mid-September (due to circumstances within our control) my partner and I were getting getting light-headed with low blood sugar and, since the vast parking lot was only about a third full, we decided to tough it out and give Camp 18 a shot. I'm so glad we did.

On that visit, we were on our way to buying a fixer-upper house on the coast. Since then, in making regular trips to work on the place we've stopped in close to a dozen times for breakfast and lunch (early and late in both cases) and the results have been pretty consistent - the food is always good to very good, the service is uneven ranging from really cheerful hustling (especially from the young guy up in the bar who has to run up and down the stairs) to just gettin' the food out (from some of the more experienced waiters who should know better). If it's jamming, be prepared for a fairly long but tolerable wait.

One especially welcome aspect of the menu - the light options on breakfast and lunch because generally speaking, the portions reflect the size of the place. Highlights on the menu- Biscuits and Gravy (w/ excellent crisp bacon), Flatcars (large pancakes), the Grilled Chicken Sandwich, and a Corned Beef Sandwich that is deliberately not a NY Reuben. Another highlight: the big windows with all sorts of wild and domestic life outside.

Vancouver, Canada
“great place to stop”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

very comfortable. I will stop next time I pass through.

Surrey BC
“Good food, but an absolutely can't-miss atmosphere!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2010

Stopped here, as I'm sure many do, on the drive from Cannon Beach to Portland. The place is just cavernous with lots of eye candy. Food is a cut above diner chow, but it's very good diner chow, so I've uprated it accordingly! Service was very attentive and refills of coffee and iced tea were constant. But really, this place is a must-go just to be there. Just a tremendous location and restaurant that's worth a trip out of your way to see.

Scappoose, Oregon
“Come hungry!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2010

I don't think I can say anything negative about this place. The restraunt looks like a huge log cabin. The restraunt is surrounded by train cars and huge statues carved out of wood, there's a small gift shop. Inside, there is 3 floors. We have been here multiple times, so if you have an option don't sit on the VERY bottom floor. You walk in the restraunt and go downstair, so I'm not referring to the main level. The only time we had to sit down there was Easter when it was packed. It's not as nice and it was kind of dark. On the main floor they have a fireplace and lots of logging pictures and saws, it's so cool. You have to see it to believe it. They have buffet sometimes. I can't even describe the food, it is so dang good!! breakfast is my favorite time to eat there. Bring an appetite cause they give you huge servings.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
astoria
“Not worth the stop....better restaurants in Seaside”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

My family and I made reservations for Easter Brunch. We decided to order from the menu as $25 for the buffet seemed exspensive. We arrived on time for our reservation and were told to wait. Once called by the Hostess we were taken to this huge table that could seat about 18 - 20 people, there were only five in our party. When we asked for another table we were told we would have to wait and the hostess did not know how long the wait would be, even though we had a reservation. After a lengthy wait for the server and his debate of the menu items our food came. The lousy food combined with the family seated next to us that had no concept of eating utensils left us feeling ill. When we spoke to the Manager, Elaine, she interupted us with defensive remarks and no apology for our experience. McDonalds would have been more accomodating than Camp 18.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere