“Great ocean get a way” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
“Great ocean get a way”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Love the Oregon coast. Lived there for 3 years Many great local places. Bridgewater bistro in Astoria. Great food. The Columbia river

Wales
18 attraction reviews
“I have a new hobby!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

My sister and I always wanted to try surfing and thought we'd finally give it a go! We booked a semi-private lesson, that is, for two people, which if you're worried about disparate ability levels is probably the way to go. Our teacher was great and a lot of fun, showing us what we needed to do and adjusting as we went based on how quickly we picked things up, or if we needed a bit more time. (Our lesson was advertised as 2 hours; I'm not sure if this is something that changed after the last review or if there was a miscommunication somewhere. However, 2 hours is a lot for a beginning surfer, and while I had an amazing time, by the end of that I was getting pretty tired and it finished about the right time!)

You do have to meet in Seaside and then drive to a nearby park and this is definitely worth knowing in advance! We got into wetsuits at the surf shop and then drove down, where there was a bit of a hike with the boards. You do have to carry your own board, and so you should! If someone's going along to watch, you can bring along a blanket, picnic, whatever; if you're on your own you might not want to take too much as you'll be leaving it on the beach. (One note for other beginners who may wonder this--DO wear goggles if you have contact lenses!)

Do take along a camera! We forgot, and that's the one thing we were disappointed about! But we had such a great time that I joined my university's surfing club when I got back home--I think I have a new hobby!

Visited August 2011
Chilliwack, Canada
26 attraction reviews
“Friendly Staff but Mislead time for money spent.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

We booked online with a follow up via telephone for lessons for my daughters aged 12 and 13. The instructor was very friendly but it appeared he had a hard time teaching 2 young men who obviously had better abilities and 2 young girls at the same time. The girls stayed more shallow and the men went deep and you could tell the instructor was spending quite a bit more time in the deep with the men. My girls still enjoyed it- they mostly just kept doing the same thing over and over...the one thing they were taught. The lesson was only about 2 hours long instead of the 3 that is advertised. This is something that perhaps you can let customers know that are booking from afar. I thought the lessons were going to take place in Seaside and that we were walking to the ocean. We had no idea that we had to drive quite a distance away and then hike up and down quite a distance to the water. I have a knee injury and that hike was not fun but more importantly we weren't prepared to be that far away from everything. Had we known, we would have packed a picnic, and blankets, towels etc. We had thought the lessons were in Seaside and were totally unprepared to stay down there for the day. Also by the time we drove to the parking lot and hiked down to the beach to start the lesson, it was 10:30. I just assumed the lesson would go to 1:30 since it started late but that didn't happen- it ended at 12:30 so my daughters only got a 2 hour lesson and only about 1/3 of the attention during class time. I didn't find I got the appropriate value for my money. We tried to go have lunch in Cannon Beach but the area was packed and we didn't want to leave the surf boards unattended on the car. Thus my girls were unable to continue to use the equiptment for the remainder of the day. We had to return the stuff then go get food. Again, had we been told, we would have packed a picnic and my daughters would have been able to use the surf equiptment for the full day. I honestly expected a lot more for the money we paid. This was not a cheap lesson and I don't feel we got good value for our money. They weren't up front with their customers. If it's only a 2 hour lesson plus an hour travel time then tell them that. We love how nice everyone is with the company but we truly feel we didn't get what we paid for.

Visited July 2011