“Best Vietnamese!!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Vietnamese
Salem, Oregon
“Best Vietnamese!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

I love the food here. They told me that they "do" Ho Chi Minh (southern Vietnamese) cuisine as opposed to central (Hoi An) or Northern (Hanoi) cuisine and it is deeeelicious. I don't care how much MSG or sugar they put in there (do they use MSG?). Green papaya salad, lemongrass chicken, ANY of their phos. YUM.

• Visited November 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Danang
“Best Vietnamese in Salem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

I've been to every Vietnamese restaurant in Salem except for Super Pho and Kim Huong is definitely the most authentic. The food is on par with quality street food in Vietnam, without the food poisoning.The music is the same music you would here in Vietnam- synthesized versions of the Good, the Bad & the Ugly, etc.. The decor is totally tasteless, just like most restaurants in Vietnam. The other guy that wrote the review on here that has been to Vietnam is right- don't order generic Asian food here, just order Vietnamese dishes like bun, pho, or hot pot and you won't regret it. Can't wait to eat there again when I come back from Vietnam!

• Visited December 2010
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Salem
“The Best!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

We have been here on two different occassions and the food is always wonderful! My favorite is their spring rolls. We took my daughter there because China Faith was closed that night. We will definitely go back!!!

• Visited January 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Oregon
“The BEST Pho In Town and in the State!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

I have been coming to Kim Huong since I first moved to the area years ago. I actually lived 25 miles from here but it was worth the drive here and back for good Pho. I have NEVER been disappointed in anything I have had here; even the tea is great!!

On this visit I ordered the #13 pho, 2 pork spring rolls, and their chicken vermicelli meal. Everything was served piping hot, served promptly, and smelled DELICIOUS!! The chicken was marinated and grilled in some sort of sauce that was full of yummy flavor. It came piled on top of vermicelli noodles, cucumbers, carrots, a bowl of fish sauce, and had peanuts sprinkled on top. The pho...I have to say they serve the BEST pho I have had in my entire life!! AND they give you generous portions...my hubby and I split everything among us and enjoyed our feast!

NOTE: Kim Huong is located RIGHT next door to A Dong Market. Great one stop eating and shopping!!

• Visited July 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Left Coast
“As good as Saigon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2009

Not only is Kim Huong the best Vietnamese food in the Salem area, as a frequent traveler to Vietnam, I can affirm that it is very good no matter where you are. Many of the same dishes could be respectably served in Da Nang, Can Tho or Saigon. If you are new to Vietnamese food, or just want to enjoy a classic dish, order the Pho #1. This traditional soup is as good as any you might get in Vietnam and always a delight. Do not let the ingredients (tripe, tendon, etc) turn you away. It is a very wholesome soup. For dinner get a clay pot.

While the menu does bend and cater to the local tastes in some areas, do not follow that path. Stick to the classic Vietnamese dishes. Have a bowl of Pho or some Bun. Too often I see people ordering from the “Chinese” or Americanized portion of the menu and ordering “rice” dishes. This is not their best fare, nor should it be. Kim Huong is a Vietnamese restaurant and they happen to put some items on the menu to cater to a segment of the local community that would be happier going to Panda Express. If you want bad Chinese, go to a bad Chinese restaurant.

After your meal, go next door to A Dong Market for a great selection of Asian foods. Wander the isles and find something that catches your eye that you have never tried. Whether a spice, a tea, or maybe even a some Jackfruit, you can ask someone there about your discovery and they are always happy to help you with suggested preparations and uses.