“Unimpressed” 2 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Blaine, Washington
“Unimpressed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

This hotel was $18 more expensive than the one I stayed at in Sacramento which I loved. The rooms were sort of dingy (although very clean) and smelled like some kind of industrial disinfectant. I ended up taking a chair outside and reading on the walkway by the parking lot while it aired out.

The TV didn't work properly but I figured out that the cable was pulling out of the back and it started working again when I pushed it back into the housing. The air conditioning was run by an old light switch on the wall with an On/Off label in magic marker. Woke up cold in the middle of the night and had to get up to shut off the switch. No temperature control.

The next morning at breakfast the waffle iron was broken and my waffle stuck to it. There was no metal utensil for getting a waffle out of the iron so I had to use this cheap plastic fork which promptly melted to the iron. I then noticed other people's melted forks on the edges of the iron. I finally got it off and put syrup on, only to find that they were using some kind of horrible, inedible generic syrup. I threw it away and tried a donut. One bite and it went into the trash and I left, stopping for breakfast later.

The only good thing I can say about this hotel is that it was clean and the bed was comfortable.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Salem, OR
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

First room smelled like smoke, though it was a non-smoking room. Keys didn't work on the second. Third still smelled. Had to air out room to get cleaning agent smell out. Tough after 9 1/2 hr driving day. Front desk person not very accommodating nor concerned about caring for guests' comforts.

We will continue to frequent Best Westerns. But we will never come to the Pacific Western, definitely will not recommend to our friends.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
WA State USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2010

This motel is easy to find, far enoughfrom I-5 to be quiet, and close enough to all attractions to reach them easily. It is about two miles from world-famous Schreiner Iris Gardens.
The room was immaculate and well supplied with all the amenities, including adequate morning coffee...a must for me. The complimentary breakfast included waffles, eggs, toast cinnamon buns donuts, milk coffee and again,, a clean atmosphere.
The desk clerks were very helpful with directions to restuaurants and points of interest..
Oh, a wellsized and clean indoor pool, which I had to myself.
I would recommend this motel to any traveler.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Mill Creek, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2009

We traveled to Salem, Oregon for a wedding and needed a room for two nights during our stay. We were unfamiliar with the area but used Tripadvisor and the many reviews to locate a suitable hotel near the wedding location. After reading many of the reviews posted we located this gem. From the minute I walked in the door I was treated respectfully and promptly. I don't think the check-in process took 5 minutes! Once in the room we found that the cleaning staff did an excellent job...my wife runs her own cleaning business and she does an inspection of every bathroom in every hotel that we use. The room was large, clean and basic. The price was right and we would definitely come back if we were in the area.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Littleton, CO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2009

This Best Western was clean, comfortable. The A/C was noisy but it worked well. Rooms are large, bathroom clean. Location is quiet and just off the interstate. Worth a try.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Eugene, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2009

No frills, but clean and located just off I-5. The rooms are nicer than one would think by looking at the exterior.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Silverdale, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2007

Very basic, no frills hotel. Registration and pool across parking lot. Older room, a few cob webs. Breakfast okay. Will look elsewhere when taking our family to Salem.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
bwphi, Manager at BEST WESTERN Pacific Highway Inn, responded to this review, March 31, 2010
In 2009, we completely renovated our property, from fresh paint inside and out, to replacing all furniture, beds, lighting, artwork and more. In 2010, we will upgrade our bedding, and the renovation will be complete.

We appreciate reviews like this one, and are always looking for information on what we are doing right, and in what areas we can improve.

Been to BEST WESTERN Pacific Highway Inn? Share your experiences!