“Back in Salem” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Grand Hotel in Salem

Save Saved
You added The Grand Hotel in Salem to your Saves list
The Grand Hotel in Salem
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   201 Liberty Street SE, Adjacent to the Salem Convention Center, Salem, OR 97301   |
Ranked #3 of 23 hotels in Salem
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Redmond, Washington
“Back in Salem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I used to live in Salem when I attended Willamette University, so I know the town pretty well. This hotel is new to me, but I deeply appreciate both the proximity to campus and their green efforts: windows that open, EV chargers in the free garage and offsetting all energy use. Solar panels power the adjacent convention center, and a display shows how much power is being generated. We appreciated that towels we hung up for further use were actually left in place: so many hotels have cards that say they won't change towels unless they are on the floor, but most do even if you hang them up. Bravo!

Breakfast was a good buffet, but it seems odd that a place that goes the extra mile in other areas would still have Froot Loops (=not real food) in the buffet. We still stuffed our teen with oatmeal and fruit, sausage and pancakes. Coffee cart made a good cup of soy mocha, though the cocoa powder had milk in it, so I had to use my own.

The family also enjoyed the pool, and had it nearly to themselves. Clean rooms, operable windows, room service had desserts from the Konditorei (a Salem institution), easy walking distance to Kwan's Chinese. There's a McMenimen's pub an easy five-minute drive away too. Love the microwave and fridge in the room, and leather sofas.

Bathroom was on the dark side, but the lighted makeup mirror helped with makeup and served as a nightlight. Mattress very firm.

Extra mile: turns out we left a favorite pillow behind: we called when we were about an hour out, and they said they would call back once all the housekeeping carts were back in. No one ever called, but a package arrived three days later with the pillow in it.

Will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Road noise from Liberty street can be a problem, especially if you like the window open: the Mexican...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

299 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Ontario, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

From the moment I arrive 'til the time I leave the service is excellent and the hotel is clean with the rooms very quiet. Even when an event is booked in the hotel the service is always top notch and they never skip a beat...they also have a special heart for our military and families and that is a good thing...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

SInce I travel to Salem each year for business, I've stayed at a number of hotels. Once I found the Grand Hotel (formerly Phoenix) I haven't changed. It is a very clean and comfortable hotel with good sized rooms. There are all the amenities including free underground parking, well equipped workout room, and very good hot breakfast included in the room price. And the hotel is right in the center of downtown Salem a fairly short walk to the capitol and Willamette University.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Port Coquitlam, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

We found this on the Internet. One of the nicest hotels we have ever stayed at. Everthing from the decore to the cleanliness and the fantastic restaurant, this hotel is top notch. The staff were very professional. The location is downtown Salem and an easy walk to major department stores.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Palouse
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

This was my first trip to Salem and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Grand Hotel! The rooms had a lot of space and also included a microwave and refrigerator. A free continental breakfast is included (which you don't find often in large hotels) and there is no charge for parking, so you are able to come and go as you please. The one negative I had was the firmness of the mattresses, I like mine a little more on the softer side. Overall, it was a great stay!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

On the positive, let me say that the staff was outstanding! They were very courteous, friendly and helpful both at the registration desk and in the restaurant. They are definitely better at this hotel than many places I've stayed. The room was very spacious with even plenty of room for a couch. I travel frequently and I've paid much more for a room much smaller than this. Previous reviews have complained about the quality of the hotel and the rooms. These are old reviews. There was nothing to complain about in either area so they must have updated the hotel since these reviews. The restaurant fare and atmosphere is great.

On the negative, there are a few things to be noted. The beds are firm so I had a lot of difficulty sleeping since I prefer softer beds. Also, if you are a woman you are going to have a problem. The lighting in the bathroom is very dim. I had to apply my makeup by memory. Lastly, unfortunately, it is true that the ceilings are thin. I was woken up in the morning by someone taking a shower.

All that being said, I've stayed in all of the better ranking hotels in Salem. This is definitely the place to stay.

• Stayed September 2012
scottSalemOr, General Manager at The Grand Hotel in Salem, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Smithari,

Thank you for your assessment of our hotel on your recent visit to Salem, we are so pleased that you've found us after apparently trying some of the other quality facilities in Salem. You've identified probably one of the most difficult issues we have in the hotel industry; what is the perfect mattress? Please let us know when you are returning, we have extra matress pads that can be put on the bed to add extra comfort for someone enjoying that plushness. We will be celebrating our 8 year anniversary in March and we have several items being enhanced and improved to keep the value of our hotel something people want to pay for. Again, thanks for the thoughtful evaluation!

Scott Snyder
Forest Lake, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

The Grad Hotel in Salem is the finest hotel in the city. I was amazed at the comfort of the accommodations and at a reasonable price. Forty minutes away from the Portland International airport, the location is ideal for enjoying the spectacular wine-country of western Orgeon from Portland to Eugene - ideal location and attached to a university town that is charming.

Room Tip: It is attached to the convention center of Salem - both new facilities. Restuarantes are nearby and...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Grand Hotel in Salem? Share your experiences!