“Nice Place. Will Visit Again” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #21 of 453 Restaurants in Salem
Salem, OR
“Nice Place. Will Visit Again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Marco Polo is about a five minute drive from where I live. I had never tried it before because I thought they served Indian food, which I didn't think I would like. Having found out they have four menus with different kinds of food, I gave it a try. They serve Chinese, European, Gluten Free & Vegetarian and Vegan food.

The food was very tasty, but the appetizers were quite oily. I will be back to try some of their other meals.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Mill Valley, California
“a jewel in Salem, Oregon, very gluten-free friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

We need to eat gluten free and as we were driving around looking for a place for dinner, was an electronic sign advertising gluten free and Chinese and vegetarian and Italian. We were sold on the GF part and went in. Really nicely decorated, not the traditional Chinese decor, but just a nicely appointed restaurant.

The GF menu was extensive (several pages of options). They change the cooking oil if needed before cooking to prevent contamination. I cannot remember being in a restaurant ever that had so many GF options across the different cuisines plus many GF desserts.

We had several dishes including sweet and sour tofu (I ma not a tofu fan but was in the mood for it). We really enjoyed it. Bright and lively. their brown rice was perfectly done. The chicken and vegetables was bland so this was a bit of a disappointment. The hot appetizer mushroom caps with pesto and parmesan was really, really good.

We ordered a piece of GF carrot cake. A tiny bit crumbly but the flavor was great (I have not eaten carrot cake for many years since I had never before seen it GF). Usually the only desserts options for GF eating is ice cream. I am not a big dessert eater but it is nice to have options to do so occasionally.

We will definitely be back next time we are in town. The prices are very reasonable. In fact, we checked the bill twice to make sure we had not been undercharged.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“my wife is gluten free but i am not and our daughter is vegetarin”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

we are all very picky and also have health issues that cause complication at just any restraint. they have a full gluten free and a full vegan and vegetarian menu and if your not in the mood for Chinese or Asian food they have a full American and European menu. great food friendly staff and unique atmosphere

Oregon
“consistently fresh & friendly!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

We've had date evenings, family celebrations, and business events with guests from many cities in Japan and the US. Most guests arrived with very high expectations, familiar with gourmet Chinese and Vegetarian Cuisine. They are consistently impressed. Each person's order arrives with beautiful, fresh vegetables, local meats proudly served, and that signature "brown" (purple) rice (uniquely delicious). The delicate Samosa, Gyoza, and Harumaki are perfect appetizers, light and great for sharing. All Fried Rice dishes are ideal, with a sweet/savory flavoring and plenty of veggies/meats. A favorite is the Sweet & Hot Salmon, or Sweet & Hot Tofu. These are an improvement over the typical Sweet & Sours; the tofu or salmon are cooked to perfection and served with plenty of fresh broccoli. A wide variety of Chinese and European teas and desserts are worth your time as well. The servings are generous, so we always have a light & lovely meal to take home as well.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Poor food and overpriced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

We had dinner here based on good online reviews, but were sorely disappointed. The food is no better than your average strip mall Chinese buffet. Very disappointing.