“Amazing!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 414 restaurants in Salem
Cuisines: Chinese
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

I often go here with my family. I love the balance of the meal. It has fresh veggies, tender chicken, and the rice has fresh peas, egg and its not mushy. Great place, my favorite dish is the Curry Chicken with fried rice. Highly recommend!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

88% Recommend
North Olmsted, Ohio
“Solid 4 star - service and family make it a clean 5”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

The food really is good. Light sauces, low salt, not all sugary and goopy. Vegetables look fresh picked. As said over and over the fried rice is excellent. I travel a lot - every week and I never go for Chinese food. After reading the reviews and facing limited choices in Salem I went to China Gourmet.

From the outside it is questionable but once inside it is clean, well lit and run by a family who are hard not to love.

If you want a fresh take on Chinese and a great value (I ate two complete dinners with tea for $23) than you don't want to miss this restaurant located in the parking lot of a car repair facility.

West Coast, USA
“PERFECTION!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Five stars is hard to get from me...but China Gourmet is deserving. This is THE BEST Chinese food I have ever had, and I'm not just being dramatic. I was caught a little off guard at how different the food is here from everywhere else I've ever eaten, because I guess I've never had truly good Chinese food, and therefore I didn't know what I was missing. Well now I know.

Fresh, fresh, fresh. And colorful. Perfectly done sauteed veggies (just the right crunch and tenderness), light and fluffy but very FLAVORFUL fried rice (I could see the egg, and lovely green peas), savory gravy. My cashew chicken had alot of whole cashews, and a generous amount of chicken which was moist and tasty. Add to all that a bright and friendly server and that makes for one very pleasant dining experience.

What struck me afterward is that, besides it being delicious, I left feeling like I'd just had a healthy and relatively nutritious meal. Don't think I've ever felt that way after going out for Chinese. China Gourmet is a winner, whoever is turning out such great food in that kitchen is a superstar, and I wish them much success...they deserve it!

“At Last!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Finally quality meets affordability in Chinese cuisine in Salem. Very fresh and delicious and no MSG! We will be back to try more menu offerings for sure.

Salem, Oregon
“A Fresh New Taste Choice in town!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Stopped by here for take out on 8/14/13. Ordered Sweet & Sour Chicken, Happy Family Combination, Twice Cooked Pork and Crispy BBQ Noodles with Pork. What a nice change of taste from the usual American-ized Chinese food options around town. Everything seemed very fresh. The food was light, not heavy like other restaurants. The service was very fast. The lady that helped me was very friendly. The food was great. Why doesn't everyone eat here? We'll be back!!

• Visited August 2013