“Drunks and druggies” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 23 Hotels in Salem
Salem, Oregon
“Drunks and druggies”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

Stayed at Motel 6 last night. (10/5/11)Woke at 11:30 to the police beating on the door of the room above me they had a drug bust complete with scuffle on the 2nd floor balcony/walkway and barking K-9 unit. Hauled off a man and woman in cuffs and towed off the druggies car. Today the police were back to haul off a drunk. The front desk clerk said it is the "norm" for this type of budget hotels. Not the kind of hotel you want to stay at with or without your family!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
London, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

I booked this Motel with some trepidation due it's proximity to I5 but my fears were groundless. The layout of the motel and the buildings opposite negate any traffic noise. From the moment I was greeted by David in reception it was a great and enjoyable stay. My room was quiet, clean & comfortable with refrigerator & microwave. The location is convenient for restaurants within walking distance and easy driving access to all local attractions.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
PNW
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

Facility is nice enough, location is ok,man at front desk was very friendly at check-in, and the staff in the morning were great.....but.......cleaning dried urine off the toilet seat before I could use it and the pubic hair stuck to the sides of the shower really were disgusting. I know it is Motel 6 and you are not paying much for the rooms, but I do expect better than that.

It might have been a fluke, hope so. I will give it a tentative thumbs up, the rooms and facility are actually nice for a Motel 6, but I hope they read this and do a little better the next time I try it.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
m61343, General Manager at Motel 6 Salem, responded to this review, April 19, 2011
Thank you for taking time to post your review on Trip Advisor. I am very sorry we did not meet your expectations in the area of room cleanliness. In addition to providing great service, we also take pride in offering a clean and comfortable room for our guests. Let me assure you this is not the norm at Motel 6 Salem, and apologize again for this issue. I hope we will have another opportunity to serve you in the future. We really do care about your satisfaction and look forward to seeing you again. My name is Dan Murphy and I am the G.M. of this property. Please feel free to look me up personally next time you are in town.
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

My wife and I stayed 1 night on our way down to California. We arrived around 7pm, the parking lot was not very well lit, so immediately I was worried about safety. The clerk that checked us in was rude, didn't smile, didn't even bother to show me where the room was located, and of course wasn't wearing a name tag, so I don't know her name. The room itself was good, the beds were in good shape, which at a lot of Motel 6's they are not in good shape. However, in the bathroom there was a used soap at the top of the shower on a ledge. I'm guessing that since the housekeeper probably couldn't see up there, she was unaware that it was there. There were also human hairs in the shower and on the bathroom floor. That was pretty gross. There were people hanging out on the balcony all hours of the night, even though it was freezing. The next morning we had people watching us load our belongings into our car. I was worried that someone was going to break into our car.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Waldport, OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2010

The Salem Motel 6 has a friendly staff that makes you feel like you are a part of a family there, they are clean and friendly.. Salem is a great town, you will be happy with the staff and sevice at the Salem Motel 6

• Stayed February 2010
montreal
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2009

I am currently staying with some friends here and after staying at the Motel 6 in Portsmouth I was expecting the same type of cleanliness. The motel has apparently just been renovated but it makes you wonder what exactly they did to renovate it. The motel that used to be here before was clean and decent and even had balconies for every room.
It looks good on the outside but as soon as you pass the reception lobby, there is a smell of urine everywhere. The elevators are old and smelly and the floor on which our room was smelled of cigarettes everywhere. We have a non smoking room yet there were cigarette butts all over the balcony which you can't access and the windows have no screens on them. The sheets and pillow cases have cigarette burns all over them and the cover between the sheet and bedspread was dirty and filled with human and pubic hair.
Our room smelled really bad as well and the walls and rim around the bath are yellow and stained as if coffee had been splattered all over them. The walls are so paper thin that you can actaully hear the conversation going on in the next room. while I was on the bed lying on the cover sheet I started to get itchy everywhere. I lifted the sheets to see if there could have been bed bugs but thankfully i didn't come across any.
I wouldn't stay here again and hope the next Motel 6 isn't as bad as this.I guess this is the perfect place is filth isn't a bother to you and you're looking for something cheap.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2008

I use to go to Motel 6 years ago in salem, and it was pretty nice, but this time, I couldn't believe the filth, and cigarette wholes all over the carpets. I had to check out 3 rooms, before one was 1/2 decent. Still the room wasn't very clean, toilet never cleaned as well, or the sinks, counters and bathtubs. Toilet even had left overs on the seat! How disgusting! But I had no other place to stay, and it was across the street from a place I like to go.
I ended up cleaning it myself.
After leaving, I called the manager, and he kept interrupting me telling me how they clean the rooms, etc. Not very nice to deal with at all. But finally he said I could get a room for free next time I stay. Hmmm. Should I? Will he keep his promise? I will let you know.

• Liked — Located near the mall
  • Disliked — terrible house cleaning and bad carpets in all rooms I saw
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Motel 6 Salem? Share your experiences!