“Cleanest indian restaurant in town! And the food is awesome too!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #172 of 455 Restaurants in Salem
Cuisines: Indian
Hermiston, Oregon
“Cleanest indian restaurant in town! And the food is awesome too!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

I've been to the Taj Mahal and my hubby went a few days to India palace, while the food is good in both places the lack of cleanliness if just stomach churning.
Star of India is a very clean restaurant, and the food is delicious. I had lamb sagg and my hubbs had the chicken tikka masala. We also ordered allo pratha which my 3 and 4 year old loved. Our waiter was very attentive, our food arrived in a timely manner ... I'm just in love with the place the service and food. The only bad thing about this restaurant is the location, it's kinda hidden, I drove on Lancaster and Sunnyview often and never noticed it was there. Now that I know I will be a regular for sure.

• Visited August 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Hillsboro, Oregon
“Good lunch at good price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Came here for lunch and it was very good. I was at the tail end of the lunch hour but there was still ample food. It was not piping hot as one reviewer mentioned but I don't expect it to be on a buffet. I enjoyed the food and would recommend it to folks in the Salem area for good flavors. I looked at the dinner menu and it looked very inviting. Will review dinner after I come back. Hopefully soon.

Salem, Oregon
“Old grey mare ain't what she used to be”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

I used to work within blocks of this restaurant. Friends and I would go there during the week for their reasonably priced, and delicious buffet at lunch. I would occasionally take some home for dinner. The food was always very hot so even with takeout it was still hot once I arrived home.

Then things started changing. They remodeled and added a video poker room. They started closing on Monday's. Then the food wasn't right when ordered by phone because the person answering did not know or understand their menu. When you call to order Chicken Vindaloo extra spicy and an order of Aloo Pratha...it should be a very simple order to take down in an Indian Restaurant.

The worst thing of all is that on three occasions (spaced out about six months apart) I have had a huge craving for Indian Food and have been shot down every time. I called once on a Friday night and twice on a Saturday night to order take out.

I was told each time that they were closed for a private party. If you own a restaurant...DON'T CLOSE ON THE WEEKENDS!!!! The least they could do, if their restaurant is full, is to allow people to do takeout or get rid of the video poker and make a separate dining area for private parties.

They've certainly forgotten about customer service. Too bad. Forget about them....they don't care any more.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Salem, Oregon
“Never bothering with this place again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

So sad about wasting my money on this place. I love chicken tikka masala and they don't even try. I could have mixed spaghetti sauce and rice at home because that's how it tastes. Not to mention I got charged $29.00 for only 2 orders of it! It does not live up to The Taj Mahal off 12th and State st out south, they are amazing! Better food for half the price

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Order from the menu!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

My wife had the buffet, as have I in the past. It's good and the folks here make an earnest effort to keep it fresh and hot. But rare is the buffet that can complete with prepared-to-order food. My Tandoori Chicken was worlds apart from the version she got. Mine was served on a crackling cast iron sizzler on a still-cooking bed of Veggies, Mushrooms and Lemon wedges. My Basmati Rice was moist and delicious.

Don't get me wrong, the buffet, for seven dollars is a heck of a value. And it's good. But the fresh made food is great!

The dining room was inviting and the service was good.

I'll be back. The menu meals can be twice the price, but I think it's money well spent!

• Visited May 2013