“Makes me feel better to live in Salem” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Gerth St NW
Description: Welcome to the Crooked House Bistro, come in, have some good food and wine and above all enjoy a warm, cozy and friendly atmosphere. Chef Bernard Malherbe is passionate about food and wine and puts his heart into every dish he creates. Using only the most fresh and wholesome ingredients available, he marries flavors into a balanced work of art. "I believe that the experience of a good meal, paired with a good wine and enjoyable conversation, is one of life’s greatest pleasures. At the Crooked House Bistro, it is my pleasure to provide the food and wine to the equation."
Kotzebue, Alaska
“Makes me feel better to live in Salem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

This sweet little house holds a fabulous food experience. I am impressed that it can hold as many people as it does. Being faced with rabbit and octopus, duck and pork chops, I didn't know where to start! My friend and I love to eat so we started with quince and cheese for an appetizer. A great pairing and a new food (quince) for my partner. Then we enjoyed sea bean salad which I loved. A bit salty, as many sea creatures are, this was refreshing on a hot day and interestingly different from most pre-entre salads, also an excellent contrast to the quince. The other choice I considered was a beet salad that I noticed at a table across the room. It also was beautifully presented and they seemed to enjoy it. I didn't read the bill, but if Crooked House charged for the bread, as previously reviewed, it wasn't mentioned. It was, however, delicious. I don't usually eat the bread because I want to save room for the "real food" as my mother would say, but this bread was a great accompaniment.
I was headed to Alaska at the end of the month so I ordered the Octopus as a warm up to whale blubber and Sheefish. My dining partner ordered the duck. Both were delicious, the waitress was happy to help us choose and the chef helped with our wine choice. That said, I think the duck was too sweet to pair with the richness of the octopus. I love duck and surprised myself by loving the octopus as well, I just don't think they paired well. I'm a "let's share everything!" diner and this time that wasn't as satisfying as usual. The octopus was rich and beautifully presented. I was interested to notice that the suction cups fall off the tentacles! I may have to research octopus a little after this visit. The duck fell off the bones as I'd hoped. The artichokes that came with the duck were a little difficult to eat.
The dessert options were too tempting and we ordered two and were glad we did. The whole experience was perfect for an evening out to dinner. Plenty of excellent food and wine, no rush, intimate atmosphere and friendly, happy to be there staff.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Beautiful french food cooked to perfection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

Small but mighty! The crooked house has limited seating and those seats are in demand. One visit and you'll see why. The food is fabulous with a fresh, carefully chosen selection of everything from rabbit to salmon to steak. The wine choices are excellent. I went with a party of 10 and the servers were perfectly attentive and we were well looked after! Would cheerfully go back for more of the chef's brilliant food.

Visited June 2012
Salem, Oregon
“cute little place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

it was a little pricey, but fantastci service, great food. will go for special occasions in the future

Visited May 2012
Salem, Oregon
“This tiny restaurant packs punch for the senses! tres beaucoup!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Just driving by, you can see that this is a charming and lovely place. The patio looks divine, if it were not for the noise of the traffic intruding on an otherwise relaxing escape. Inside, it's impressive eye candy for the designer-at-heart. They have made a small space so charming! There is seating for roughly 20-25 people over 10-12 tables, and they have a 2-3 seats at the bar. However, I would not recommend bar seating as it's immediate proximity to the front door will warrant you the designated greeter. If you're the social type, however, you will enjoy watching the business side of things...a peek at the cooking, the use of an iPad for a POS, getting to know the servers, to name a few. With tables so close to each other, it was a pleasant surprise to fit in an acoustic guitar player, providing ambiance as well as conversational privacy.

The food is plated beautifully, using edible flowers garnishing my asparagus risotto. For my husband, the "steak & potatoes" was so divine it would make a caveman want to eat with a napkin folded neatly in his lap. We also enjoyed the escargot...dip your bread in the oils to savor the flavors even further.

The service was as expected for this environment; attentive and helpful but not at all in your space, which is a coveted premium. While I observed families gathered, girls night out, and a business meeting/presentation, this special West Salem treasure is first and foremost a romantic dining spot; very up$scale.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Friendly easy place with wonderful food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

Very comfortable with an excellent chef/owner who is always on site and involved. Great wine list . Reasonably priced.

• Visited February 2012