“From so high to so low, and anomaly?” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Willamette Valley Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #106 of 467 Restaurants in Salem
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 32nd Pine NE
Transit: #17 Salem-Keizer Transit
Description: We commit ourselves to creating the best tasting food, using the freshest ingredients. Our Restaurant & Bar elevates dining for locals and wine tourists alike. Situated in Northeast Salem, just 2.3 Miles from the Capitol, our Northwest Inspired Cuisine is a great addition to the local Oregon culinary scene. Located within the Red Lion Hotel located at 3301 Market St NE, Salem, OR 97301.
Salem, Oregon
“From so high to so low, and anomaly?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

We have eaten at the Willamette Valley Grill many times, and had terrific food and great service. This time, not so at all. I hope it is just a temporary problem. We will try another time soon to be sure.
To start, the service was terrible. The restaurant was busier than usual, but not at all full. Our order was taken quickly and our appetizers were delivered in a reasonable time, but then we waited, and waited and.... Normally we like leisurely European style dining. But we sat looking at our empty appetizer plates for a loooooong time before they were taken away, and even longer until our entree was served. The server did not once come around to refill our water glasses that entire time until after the entrees were served.
The entrees were most disappointing. I had the steelhead, which I have had here before and was excellent. This time it was a small piece just a little overcooked. The flavor was fine, but the real problem with this plate was the sloppy mess the Salmon was served on. It was a pile of wilted Endive, mixed on top of a pile of caramelized onions drenched in what seemed to be balsamic vinegar, with bacon bits and whole cloves of roasted garlic. There were some pieces of potato mixed in, and the whole mess was also piled on top of sauteed green beans. Usually their green beans are lightly sauteed and crispy. I have really enjoyed them in the past. These were black and burned and tough, yet soaked in the ooze of the pile of mess. The overall combination of flavors was so strong that it completely overwhelmed the delicate Salmon.
My wife ordered the burger. Simple enough it seems, but the meat patty was thin, cooked until dry, and served with pale, under ripe tomatoes. Not the grade of ground beef we would expect from a restaurant that serves USDA prime steaks.
After we finished, we also waited forever for the check. When it came, we waited forever again until the server picked it up. All this time, no refills to our water glasses.
I do hope this was a one time anomaly on both the part of the kitchen and the serving staff. Everything we have had here before, including the featured steaks and all the other entrees, has been delicious.

• Visited October 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Olympia, Washington
“Great Breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

I have heard about this place from friends so we decided to stop by. A very unique setting. I had the steak and eggs which were great. Our server was special...I didn't catch her name but she was very hospitable and actually quite cute for a lady in her 40's.

I will return.

Visited October 2011
Salem
“they have gotten much better!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

The first time we ate here, my dinner was very salty. We decided to give them another try and that time we couldn't get waited on.(we were in the bar). A couple of weeks ago, we ran into a couple of old friends that were staying at the Red Lion. We ended up in the bar late that evening and had a GREAT time. My husband & I went back the following weekend for a couple of drinks. James,the bartender, remembered us from a year ago. We went back on sunday evening to have dinner. Obie was the bartender that night. We sat at the bar since they weren't busy. Dinner was very good this time. I had chicken,roasted garlic mashed potatoes & broccoli. My husband had steak & shrimp scampi,rice & broccoli. We then shared dutch apple pie a la mode. I am definitely ready to go back for dinner. My mouth waters every time I think of that meal!

• Visited October 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Prineville, Oregon
“Outstanding service and servers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

The best food and servers to keep you comfortable.

• Visited November 2010
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Salem, Oregon
“The most under-rated/attended restaurant in Salem history”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

We have been going here about once a week for 2+ years now.

The food is SO good! The menu is small (we like that!), but most everything is awesome.
And I travel all over the world and eat out 3-5 nights a week, and could go anywhere!!

The steaks, potatoes, desserts! :), smoked chicken pasta, eggs benedict...fantastic!
Great wait & bar staff too!
And never a wait!