“Great hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Salem
Missoula, Montana
“Great hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2008

We found this spot, after a lousy stay at another place in town. NIce staff and a great room--clean, good beds, good AC, pet friendly--even trays so you can take your breakfast up to your room. NIce and safe--which in Salem, is a plus, in my book!

• Liked — Safe & quiet
  • Disliked — not a thing!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2008

My home away from home, that is what I l call the Shilo Inn in Salem Oregon. I had the pleasure of visiting the state of Oregon and in my travels around the state I ran across this amazing inn. When I arrived, the staff was very professional and made me feel as tho I was the only guest in their hotel (the General Manager even took it apon herself to make recommendations to me of things I may enjoy in the area). My room was very spacious and clean, in my opinion this hotel offers 5***** services for 3*** prices. I personally would recommend to everyone that if they are looking for the best hotel/motel experience ever, the Shilo Inn in Salem Oregon should be the next place they stay. Thanks to all the staff for providing me with this excellent experience.

• Liked — THE STAFF!!!!
  • Disliked — nothing, everything was excellent
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Olympia, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2007

I booked this room because it rated highest on the Trip Advisor website. Oops! I guess even TripAdvisor isn't perfect.

I learned something important from this trip: Friends don't let friends stay in Salem. That said, maybe it is different in downtown, but in the area where this hotel (as well as the Phoenix Inn and others) was located in was sketchy at best. You certainly wouldn't feel inclined to go out and take a stroll in the immediate vicinity of the hotel.

As for the hotel itself - the furnishings in the lobby were worn and dated. Hotel staff weren't rude, but weren't exceptionallly friendly either. When we got to our room I was shocked! It was like the room had been decorated by someone on an acid trip. There were patterns everywhere and very little sense that the patterns were supposed to be color-coordinated in any way. The beds were not comfortable either.

My daughter and I went to work-out in the work-out room and soon gave up. It was located in a glassed in area next to the pool area and was hot, cramped and uncomfortable.

We didn't check out the continental breakfast, so maybe that's great. Wish I had better things to say about this hotel as usually Shilo's are not this disappointing.

• Liked — Easy access to the freeway
  • Disliked — The room
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2007

Odd looking property that could use some better signage; but overall our experience was very good. Room was clean and beds were comfortable. Cookies and popcorn at the counter at check-in. Lobby computer had a printer with ink and paper (seems to be rare in a sub-$100 hotel).

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Carlsbad, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2007

Based on generally favorable TripAdvisor reviews, we decided to spend a night at the Shilo on a trip through Salem. Maybe we just happened to get the one bad room. . . . but you should know that what happened to us could happen to you, too! The room was big, but not clean. When I washed my hands at the sink I was greeted with a big black hair plastered across one of the towels. (Ugh!) When we went to bed at midnight, we found we couldn't use the pillows because
they reeked of baby [----]. The next morning we discovered the in-room coffee maker didn't work. I spoke to the on-duty manager the next morning, but she just told me that if there was a problem I should have called housekeeping...I paid over a hundred dollars to spend the night in this dump. If you make the same mistake, you can't say you weren't warned!

• Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seattle, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2006

Stayed here for one night, in part because of the top TripAdvisor rating. Paid $105+tax for a 2-queen room, for a total of about $120.

Pro's:
Huge room.
Staff were friendly and helpful.
Hotel itself is back of a strip mall of sorts, but easy to find.
The waffle option at breakfast was a welcome part of an otherwise very simple continental breakfast in a tiny eating alcove in the main hotel lobby.

Con's:
Bathrooms are toward the simple/economical end--a little cheap feeling.
Lot's of $1.50 plastic bottles of "Shilo Inn" water, heavily promoted, and too tempting for kids to open without thinking.
There is a smell of disinfectant or deodorizer about the place. Carpet, furnishings, etc inside are a bit frayed around the edges.
Lighting was pretty dim.

Overall had expected more, given the high rank here on TripAdvisor.

• Stayed August 2006
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pacific NW
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2006

I made a reservation at the Shilo Inn for my wife and two kids and a friend of hers and her two kids based on the reviews of Trip Advisor. This group was on their way back to the the Seattle area from the Oregon Caves National Monument. My wife reported that she was very happy with the hotel and thanked me for making the reservation for the group. She specifically noted the responsiveness of the staff and quality of the breakfast. My wife asked for a roll away bed and extra towels and they were in the room in less than five minutes. I wish I could get this kind of service at the pricier hotels I stay at when traveling for business.

• Liked — Responsiveness of the staff
  • Disliked — No complaints
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Shilo Inn Suites - Salem? Share your experiences!