“Good business stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Salem
Taylorsville, Kentucky
“Good business stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

This is a good, basic hotel with a few extras that make it nice for business travel. First, the covered parking area with direct lobby access came in handy, as I arrived on a typical rainy Oregon day. The room I had (King) was separated by a glass-topped half-wall into sleeping and living/kitchenette areas. The living/kitchenette area includes a full-sized sleeper sofa and a table with two rolling chairs. Wifi was fast and easy to access. I used the fridge, bar sink, and microwave to store and reheat leftovers from dining out. There is no room service or hotel restaurant. However, the included breakfast bar is adequate (no hot dishes, unless you count toast or microwaved oatmeal), and the "Almost Home" restaurant sharing the hotel parking lot has good food and a bar. The in-room coffee was very good - a nice change from the typical bitter stuff. Note that room toiletries were a little skimpy: just two tiny soaps and one shampoo. You'll need to have your own conditioner, lotion, and whatever other toiletries you may be accustomed to having in your hotel room. I should also mention that my bed was extremely firm - almost hard - but that's the way I like it. I'm not sure if other beds are as firm as mine was, but if you prefer a softer mattress you may want to consider asking the front desk about it.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

Shilo used to be a quality place. Their motto, "Affordable excellence," should be changed to "Mediocrity for a price." It's still a decent place to stay. But in their money-saving moves, they have dropped some of the little extras that used to make Shilo a place of affordable excellence. No cookies; a leaner breakfast.

But the thing that really hurts (literally) was the mattresses. In our room, both mattresses need to be retired. The first night we slept on one of the beds: the springs creaked as I sat on the side of the bed. And I'm not a large person. When I woke up, my back could hardly move. The next night we switched to the other bed in the room. It is a little better than the first, but still it is as stiff as a board & needs to be retired.

Mark Helmstreet (owner) needs to fork out some money and keep this site up to standard. If not, he's going to lose more money than he's saving.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Medford, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

My husband and I have stayed at the Shilo Inn for months during this legislative session. The rooms are clean, roomy and updated.
The staff has been consistant and very accomodating during our stay. It is nice to see the same smiling faces when we come and go. We really appreciate Joey's help and happy demeanor during our stay.
I like the covered and close parking.
My only, somewhat negative, comment would be that the elevator can be on the slow side.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2011

I first chose the Shilo Salem back in 2006 (because it beat out their competitors in room price and the conference room) for a get together with about 30 gals. We had such a great time that weekend and were treated so well, that we have gone back every year since then.

We get together every year and we enjoy our stay better and better every year. I can understand some of the other opinions given....yes some stuff is lacking and not up to date.......but what they lack in those things, they more than make up for in customer service!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND, they allow pets!! :-)

My husband and I have also stayed at this hotel, several times, with our Australian Shepherd and it's wonderful to know that we can stay in a nice hotel and take our pet with us and enjoy a relaxing weekend...centrally located to so many stores and other things.

I just want to say that if you just ask......the staff is ready and willing to do whatever they can to make your stay more comfortable! If we have ever had a problem either in one of our rooms or the conference room.....all I had to do was call down to the front desk and it was handled efficiently!

When I arrive there each September, the conference room is set up just as I asked and they make sure that we have everything we need throughout the weekend.

We just feel 'comfortable' at this hotel....( I even took a vote one year to see if the girls would rather try another area or another hotel and they all voted NO WAY). We have come to know the staff and are happy to see them each year. They are a great bunch of people.

Someone said that they didn't feel at ease walking around the 'neighborhood' because it was sketchy, we have walked to several restaurants in the immediate area and never had a problem.

We will be coming back to Salem for a little family vacation, this summer, and we WILL be staying at the Shilo.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Toppenish, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2011

Good staff, clean hotel but badly in need of a remodel.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011

I cannot say enough good things about the Shilo Inn Salem. The staff went out of their way to make sure my stay was pleasant. Room was very clean and everything worked as it should. I was pleased with the excellent choice at breakfast. I have stayed at the Shilo Inn many times over the years and I would recommend this hotel to business men and families alike. There is also a laundry on the 2nd floor which is really nice for long stays.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
browneyes1961, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites - Salem, responded to this review, January 25, 2011
Thank you for your outstanding review after your recent visit to the Shilo Inn Salem! We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and happy we were able to meet and exceed your needs as a traveler. It is our goal to make each guest feel comfortable and welcome; we strive to meet this goal every day and appreciate you taking the time to let us know. Thank you again, we look forward to seeing you in the future!
Vancouver, BC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

The hotel is quite outdated. The elevator is super slow. You can prepare to wait for at least 5 mins for the elevator to come. It is slow to move up and down and slow to open the door. When it does open the door, it feels like the elevator is going to drop. Very scary. The room is huge but old as well, like the 80s furnishing. However, it does have 2 TVs in the room, one in the living and one in the bedroom side of it. The bathroom and bed is clean, i cannot complain. The breakfast serves in the lobby, so you have no where to put the food on (not that they have a whole lot of selection-mainly cereal and bread w/out toaster) and so the lobby waiting area becomes crowded because people are eating their breakfast there. I think that is a little awkward. However, it does have a diner cafe just right next door.
If you are looking for a quick short stay, Shilo Inn Salem is not a bad choice.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Shilo Inn Suites - Salem? Share your experiences!