“Impersonal and dull” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 12 activities in Roseburg
Type: Wineries
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Glaser Estate Winery and Glaser Distillery started in May of 2011. We are a boutique vineyard, winery and distillery, located on the majestic North Umpqua River. All of our products are handcrafted on site and available for purchase in our on site tasting room. Come enjoy our wine and spirit collection seven days a week for the Spring and Summer months. Cheers!
Umpqua, Oregon
“Impersonal and dull”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

We visited Glaser a couple of weekends ago and the experience was dull and bland to say the least. The woman working the tasting room was friendly enough, but she offered no information about the wines she was pouring and couldn't even be bothered to be helpful enough to explain their tasting fees. The wine list on the counter claimed that tasting was $5 and then it described each of their wines. There was no explanation as to how many wines you could taste for that $5. Being an experienced wine taster who has visited many wineries (and having a significant other in the industry) I know it is not uncommon for a tasting room to let you try their entire list. Yet when I inquired about this, I was only laughed at by the tasting room employee, the owner, and the group of other tasters. "No, no" they said. "You get 3 or 4 tastes". Apparently they thought it was hilarious that I would think I could try more than that. Let me add that before I inquired about how many tastes I would get, the woman behind the counter just started pushing whatever wines she wanted on us, not even asking what we would like to try. Then she would stand there and stare at us as we tried the wine, without saying a word. Just a weird grin on her face. Uncomfortable. After my first taste of white and her eagerness to pour me another taste of white, I decided to pipe up and make sure I would get to taste some reds. Poor customer service if you ask me. If I would have known I only get 3-4 tastes, I would have passed on her first offer. Also, is it 3 or 4? Make up your mind. Or does it just depend on your opinion of each taster? Maybe they should put that on their tasting list to avoid confusion and wasted tastes on wines you would rather not try, being that your choices are so limited. All in all, the tastes were VERY small and the wine was only so-so. For $5, we probably got less than half a glass of wine total. The only thing that saved the day was the taste of Limoncello that we got. Needless to say, we didn't buy any wine and will NEVER be back. I wouldn't recommend this tasting room to anyone. Disappointing.

Visited September 2013
Jessica G, General Manager at Glaser Estate Winery & Distillery, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Dear Patron,

I recently reviewed your TripAdvisor post about Glaser Winery and Distillery. As one of the managers and owners, I want to send my deepest apologies for the inexcusably horrible experience you had at our location. We have gone through major transitions in our business, including letting go personnel who do not understand the values of our establishment. We would like to offer you a $20 gift certificate towards any products at our tasting room the next time you visit. If you could send me your name or email address, we will save it so you can redeem it whenever you come through the area again. Thank you so much for your feedback. It is helpful in understanding what did not work for our customers so that we do not let this happen again.

Kind Regards,

Jessica Glaser

Battle Ground, Washington
14 attraction reviews
“Beautiful setting, great wine & sprits - and a character host”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

In a region with a great many wineries with great views and locations, Glaser stands out. Its back patio overlooking the North Fork of the Umpqua River simply invites you to linger. The grounds are surrounded by whimsical art pieces (not to mention live chickens) and the tasting room in the converted farmhouse (the winery & distillery themselves are apparently in the adjacent barn) is tastefully decorated and pleasant. The wine itself was excellent, reasonably priced, and lives up to the expectations of a major wine-growing area. The added attraction of the distilled spirits (they make a couple of different vodkas plus some liqueurs - definitely try the lemoncello - help make the overall experience special.

But if you're fortunate enough to be hosted in the tasting room by the patriarch of the family business, David Glaser, you're in for a special treat. He is a real character with a dry wit that kept us all laughing throughout our visit.

Bottom line: Any visit to the South Umpqua Valley region or Roseburg, OR deserves a stop at Glaser Estates.

Visited September 2013
Roseburg, Oregon
16 attraction reviews
“Idyllic setting, nice wines, great views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Once you find it you will be glad that you did. Genial host, nice setting, great views, hard to go wrong.

Visited June 2013