“First rate” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Prospect Historic Hotel - Motel and Dinner House

You added Prospect Historic Hotel - Motel and Dinner House to your Saves list
Prospect Historic Hotel - Motel and Dinner House
4.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   391 Mill Creek Drive, PO Box 50, Prospect, OR 97536   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Prospect B&B and Inns
Spanaway, WA
“First rate”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

Nice motel. Extremely clean. Can't wait to stay at the B&B one day. Fred and Karen are just the most wonderful people. Knowledgeable, friendly and astute. The grounds are peaceful and beautiful. I'm personally impressed Fred knows how to properly prepare and serve a good beer,a rarity. Karen made us a perfect meal. Thanks for the great conversation and hospitality. The Prospect Historic Hotel is the only place one should stay when visiting the Crater Lake area.

Room Tip: Motel is the only rooms that are pet friendly. The B&B rooms are off limits to pets. Motel room...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Vacaville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

Fred and Karen provide more than a hotel room. They have full knowledge of things to see, local history, and a personal experience. They keep track of weather conditions at local attractions. The Dinner House restaurant has wonderful food and ambiance. We will be back.

Room Tip: Just ask Fred or Karen for their suggested room.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

I have never been treated as rudely as I was treated by the owner of the Prospect Hotel. I was mistaken about their pet policy and instead of calmly telling me where the policy was located, he belittled me, called me an irresponsible pet owner, and went into multiple ways about how the situation was my fault… telling me on multiple occasions that I should just leave my dogs in my car in 30 degree temperatures instead of in the hotel room. He then charged me for a nights stay at the hotel when all I saw was the front office. However, I am not angry about the fee, only how rudely I was treated. In response to my reviews on other sites the owner went onto my Facebook profile, got personal information from my profile, and then posted it in response to one of my reviews. I understand that certain information that I want to display on Facebook is public, but it is overwhelmingly creepy that the owner went to that length. That in addition to the fact that the owner, in his response, lied about the actual events, calling me belligerent, sophomoric, argumentative even a spoiled brat in one review (I was none of these things). He even accused me of cyber terrorism for posting about my experience. However, I am not interested in a he said/ she said argument online. I just want to alert travellers to my awful experience at the hotel… you can take my review for what it is. Bottom line: Yes I was mistaken about the pet policy. The owner could have simply explained the policy to me and told me that I missed it when I booked the hotel online. After this I would have only been mad at myself. He could have averted the entire situation with a calm discussion of the business policies, he was incapable of this. Instead he lectured me and called me names. Unprofessional. Then going onto my facebook page after the fact? Creepy

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Prospect Historic Hotel - Motel and Dinner House, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
Reviewer ignored all written policies (on web site, in online reservations system and in confirmation) with regards to her pet staying here. Reviewer was disruptive and argumentative when this was pointed out. She in effect had a tantrum in the office. We will not allow people to violate policies that are in place for the benefit of ALL the guests. She INSISTED that she was above the policies because she "hadn't seen them". Her attack on the Manager is based on a smear campaign. Trip Advisor has policies against smear campaigns but has not removed this latest rant, as they did the previous ones. Trip Advisor should not allow this obvious smear campaign to continue. She states she posted all over the internet, that is the definition of a campaign to smear us.
The Reviewer mis-behaved and was not allowed to BULLY her way into bypassing our policies. She did not like that and has launched her smear campaign against us.
We don't allow an unruly guest to create issues for our other guests.
Simple as that!
If she felt I was rude to her because I wouldn't let that happen, then in her opinion I was.
Would I allow her or anyone else to act this way again - NO.
Sophomoric, belligerent behavior will not be tolerated.

Read our other reviews written by people who are honest and don't have a hidden agenda; people who behave in a socially acceptable manner. You will see what we are really all about; quality Customer Service!

Funny thing is her attacks have been mentioned by guests when making a reservation; they found her amusing or as one commented "She's a real piece of work!"
Eagle Point, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

This is a great location, and the owners are wonderful, what happened to the cook. Our family had Easter Dinner there yesterday and had ham from a 200 year old pig. The meat was tough, the garlic mashed had garlic chunks, and what ever the vegetable was we could not figure out.
We raise farm animals including hogs and butcher and cure our own hams so we know that this little piggy wasn't done correctly. I'm sorry to say we were very disappointed..won't be going back until we get good reports from friends on a new cook...The carrot cake was awesome......

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
SOInnKeeper, Manager at Prospect Historic Hotel - Motel and Dinner House, responded to this review, April 14, 2012
Wow, What a surprise. My wife (our Chef), our Office Manager and I talked to these guests several times during the evening and had NO idea they were unhappy. In fact our family Easter dinner was at the table right next to them. I sure wish they had talked to us that night. We served over 25 pounds of the Easter Ham that day (We only serve ham on holidays), with numerous folks coming back for 2nds and 3rds during our buffet. I think I ate about 2 pounds myself. I thought it was good. However if the guest lets us know they don’t like the meal we will do what we can to fix it or replace it.
Yes the Garlic Mashed potatoes were a little too garlicky, but we use chopped garlic, so there are some ‘chunks’ there. Most people love them. I sure am sorry that the guest didn’t say anything to us. I can’t fix something if I don’t know it is a problem.
We make a vegetable Frittata that most people love. It isn’t for everyone, but in the 7 years we have been serving this I can’t tell you how many times we have been asked for the recipe. It is a personal thing whether you like it, but if they didn’t know what it was the server would have explained this to them.
They loved our Carrot Cake, the service (over a 20% tip), took home to-go boxes; participated in our Adult Easter Egg Hunt; and were laughing and joking with us on their way out.
We were really surprised to see such a mean review.

I am sorry that they didn’t like the Holiday Ham. We would have appreciated the opportunity to hear that then and there, and to ask someone who is so knowledgeable in raising and curing hams for their expertise.
We have asked to talk with them and hopefully make it right. After all, we are their “favorite Dinner House” because of all the other fabulous food we produce, and our wonderful service. I hope they give us a chance to regain their confidence. I would hate to lose a good customer over one meal they didn’t like.
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2011

We stayed at the historic hotel after visiting Crater Lake National park during the day. We found the staff very pleasant and helpful such as suggesting hikes that we could do in the area. Our room rate also included dinner which consisted of 3 courses (very good) and a full breakfast. Also very good. Our waitress was a prompt and pleasant. She obviously really enjoyed her job and talking with the guests. Our room and bed was small, but clean and comfortable. The room was nicely restored to the original date when the hotel was built. We enjoyed relaxing on the deck in the evening, and sipping a glass of wine. A fun to place to stay and good value.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Oxted, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

We stayed 1 night (after visiting Crater Lake) in room -Frances Pearson. Room was clean but a little worn. Bed reasonably comfortable. Good walking nearby. We had dinner in the dining room. Good service, food quality average.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Spring Valley, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

This is a lovely small historic hotel that has been beautifully restored. The bedrooms, common room and dining room are all filled with lovely antiques. Our room, Pearson, was an adequate size, very clean, and nicely decorated. I loved the beautiful quilt on the bed and found the bed to be comfortable. Our dinner at the Dinner House was okay but not great. We enjoyed relaxing on the large front porch of the hotel after dinner. The hotel is about 40 minutes from Crater Lake and there are several nice waterfalls and hiking trails close by.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are quite small. Check with the owners when making a reservation.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Prospect Historic Hotel - Motel and Dinner House? Share your experiences!