“Clean, quiet and comfortable” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Prairie

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Prairie City
Hotel Prairie
You added Hotel Prairie to your Saves list
112 Front Street, Prairie City, OR 97869   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Prairie City B&B and Inns
San Diego, California
“Clean, quiet and comfortable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed Hotel Prairie, which is located in a beautifully restored building providing excellent comfort and service in eastern Oregon. Our room was very clean and quiet. The bathroom was efficient, with nice amenities, good towels and great hot water. Free wi-fi signal was excellent. There does not appear to be much going on in this little town by way of entertainment, but we had a very nice dinner at the Oxbow Restaurant and Salon (next door to the hotel), and an excellent breakfast at Chuck’s Little Diner (one door further down). In both establishments, we enjoyed interesting conversation with the owners, their staffs, and the local residents who are very proud of their town and its history. We intend to return to the area next year and will definitely stay here again. TIP: Be sure to visit John Day Fossil Beds National Monument, specifically the Painted Hills Unit, the Sheep Rock Unit and the Historic Cant Ranch. Amazing!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Carlton, Oregon, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We enjoyed our stay in Hotel Prairie. We like places that have atmosphere and this old hotel has that. The room was very small but had a comfortable queen bed, with a roomy private bath. More could be done as far as decor, but was still nice. The lobby is particularly well done, with a spectacular pressed tin ceiling. You need to ask for the use of a hair dryer and extra pillows when you check in. They should tell you about the area with microwave, refrigerator and dishes when one checks in, as we didn't discover those amenities till our second day.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Firstly, I shall apologise for not having submitted this review sooner. But I figure that 'late' is better than 'never', so here goes....

Last year (September 2012) I left the grey (English spelling there, folks) and drizzly shores of my homeland and embarked upon a six week, 4,500 mile, bicycle trek across across the US. Before I left I called my bank and informed them that I would be in the States, and that I would be using my debit/credit cards whilst there. Having been assured that my cards wouldn't be stopped it came as a shock - albeit not a huge shock because my bank ALWAYS does this to me - that my cards stopped working. Add into the equation that I had lost my cell phone a couple of days before, the scarcity of public phones AND that it's seemingly impossible to make international calls (I couldn't find a phone calling card en route) I was stuck with approximately 87 cents in my pocket, impending darkness and nowhere to stay

And then guardian angels that are the staff at this little hotel descended and rescued me from my plight...

My dishevelled and vaguely lost English appearance drew sympathy from the manager, who kindly offered me a room for the night on two conditions - that I called back and paid when I have resolved the issue with my bank, and that I left a review on Trip Advisor. Well, I can say that I have now discharged both of those requirements...

The exterior of the hotel disguises the charm of what you'll find inside. I loved the lounge area with its comfortable leather chairs, the lamps and dark wood furniture. I could have quite happily stayed (a cat would be excellent addition to this lounge). As for the room, I got a double with a bathroom across the hall, although I am really not complaining at that all!!! The room was warm, comfortable and exactly what I needed. I was clean for the first time in a week!!

You know, I can just summarise by saying that sometimes you find the right place and the right people at the right time. I was lucky to find you guys. Thank you

Oh, and just to let you know, I made it to Yorktown VA on 29th October, just as the bottom end of Hurricane Sandy was hitting. It was not a pleasant last few hours!!!!!

Room Tip: Make sure you take money with you!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Eagle Creek, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

What a wonderful stay. The Staff were so welcoming and nice. Our room was lovely. The beds were so comfortable. We highly recommend the Hotel. We look forward to coming back next year. We heard that they are planning a restaurant that would make the Hotel perfect.

Room Tip: If you have trouble with stairs the downstairs rooms are lovely.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dexter, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We stayed at the Prairie Hotel after a week of backpacking...we were warmly welcomed by the friendly staff despite being totally grubby. We were amazed at how the hotel has been renovated but still retains its historic charm.

wylda and steve c.

Room Tip: It was good to have an upstairs room just for the fun of going up the gorgeous steep staircase.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I ended up having to get a room in Prairie City because the hotels in John Day didn't have any availability. I was a bit skeptical, but was very pleasantly surprised! The room had very high ceilings and a great fan - they had installed an air conditioner in the window because they were having a bit of trouble with their system. I appreciated it because it was quite warm. It cooled the room off nicely and I only needed the ceiling fan at night. Traffic outside is audible, but it is a pretty quiet town. I found the community kitchen a nice touch and was able to put my lunch supplies in the fridge, which was a great help. The bed was comfy and the decor simple, but classy. I wish I would have had more time to hang out in the lobby or out on the back porch. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I stayed on the ground floor - not sure what the upstairs rooms are like!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
San Leandro, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

I ended up staying here unexpectedly while traveling through Oregon recently, and I am so glad I found this place. WOW, what a great place.

Super friendly and helpful staff, very clean and well maintained. The whole place has been recently renovated, but has kept the historic charm. My room had a good sized bathroom, was small but good sized and I had a great night's sleep.

There is coffee set up in kitchen for the morning, as well as a honor snack bar. Really nice, and peaceful back patio/garden for guests as well. The lobby has two seating areas set up for guests to enjoy as well.

I would love, love, love to stay here again for more than one night.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Donna M, Owner at Hotel Prairie, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Thank you so much for your enthusiastic praise! We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and would love to welcome you back. Then you can enjoy our breakfast room, meeting, and wine/beer bar areas that are nearing renovation completion!

Been to Hotel Prairie? Share your experiences!