“An oasis in downtown Portland” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Westin Portland

You added Westin Portland to your Saves list
Westin Portland
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   750 Southwest Alder Street, Portland, OR 97205 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #27 of 133 Hotels in Portland
San Diego, CA
“An oasis in downtown Portland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2009

I stayed here on a business trip in early November and my wife joined me for the weekend. This was a fantastic hotel with incredible staff.

PROS
This is really a boutique hotel rather than the larger Westins I'm used to. For me, this is a real plus. You get to know the staff in a hotel like this, and they were wonderful here. Everyone I interacted with was on-point, a rarity in hotels these days. The valets, doormen, front desk agents, pbx (operator), and room service attendant were all friendly, personable, and seemed genuinely committed to ensuring I had a great stay.

The location was also a huge plus. It's right in the middle of downtown Portland and there are many great dining and entertainment options within easy walking distance. Prepare to valet if you drive (valet is $29/night), but the valets were always on time and very helpful with directions, luggage, etc. They made it very easy to get going to see my client each morning I was there and were very welcoming when I returned for the night.

Finally, the onsite restaurant is a Daily Grill. Yum! I love Daily Grills and it was nice to be able to order their food via room service. Their breakfast was also very good.

CONS
No place is perfect, right? The rooms were a bit small, though this wasn't a major drawback. They are also in need of renovation with somewhat dated decor (the television was a Zenith!!), but the property is still in great shape and none of the furniture or decor looked excessively worn or tired. The location, boutique-hotel feel, and outstanding staff more than make up for these small nits.

THE SKINNY
I've stayed in a few hotels in Portland and this is by far my favorite. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to enjoy the feeling of being in downtown Portland combined with having a "home away from home".

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
chrislorino, General Manager at Westin Portland, responded to this review, November 30, 2009
Thank you for not only taking the time to write a review, but also for sharing such tremendous detail about your experience. I am thrilled your time with us was enjoyable and productive, as usual. More specifically, I thank you for pointing out those associates and departments that clearly delivered memorable service. I will be quick to share your exact words and recognize all of them.

Thank you again and we look forward to having you back on your next visit.

Chris Lorino, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Ashland, OR
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2009

Overnight parking $29. Small Mixed nuts in Mini Bar $6.95 + 20% Gratuity. Internet Access $12.95. I stayed last weekend at the Portland Aloft and its a MUCH better value and the staff are actually friendly and glad to see you. (At the Westin I walked into an argument at the front desk with another guest.) As platinum members with Starwood (Westin, Sheraton, Le Meridian, A-Loft) we have stayed 75 nights this year in a mix of their properties across the globe, and although the rooms in Portland are Westin standard, the rest of the experience isn't.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Thank you for your review and your loyalty to the Starwood Preferred Guest program. I'm sorry that you feel some of the ancillary services or items within the hotel are overpriced. We are very dilligent about ensuring these items are not above market value, particularly as compared to other downtown, similar hotels. Please also consider our wide array of packages and specials throughout the year. Oftentimes, we include Internet or valet parking, for instance, in these offers as a way of creating more value in our guests' experience.

Seattle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2009

Sure this place looks beautiful, but beware the walls are really thin. You can hear everything and I mean everything that goes on in the room next to you. Also I left a nice pair of shoes there and the gentleman that I spoke with in the lost and found took my phone number and said he would be sure to look and get back to me. He mentioned that the room was not serviced yet since we left so the chances of the shoes still being there were really high. No phone call back and surprisingly (or not) every time I call I get their voicemail. I know that it was my bad I forgot the shoes in the first place, but the mark of a good business/hotel is how well they accommodate their customers so that they're happy (i.e., will write a good review, suggest the hotel to friends, return for continued business). I expected at least a follow-up phone call back. Sorry Portland Westin on Alder, it is not as good as it looks.

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
san francisco, ca, usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2009

It being an older building, the main complaint we had was sound transmission. We reserved through priceline and got a very good rate; no compaints there. But we were given a room right by the elevators which also had an adjoining door to the next room. We could easily hear the adjoining room's conversation and the dinging of the elevator, so we asked to change rooms. The hotel was pretty booked up, so the only alternative we had was the "studio suite" for $20/night extra. That was money well spent. Although as another post mentions, they haven't upgraded their tv sets (thus it was pretty small to watch from the bed), the room was very nice, and other than the extrememly loud argument that occured in the room upstairs (!), room was nice and quiet. Also, it being on the 12th floor, had a very nice view out expansive windows. Very large bathroom with a large walk-in shower (and a separate tub). Normally, I associate Westins with a more modern decor, but this particular Westin is decorated in a more traditional style. Location is ok, on the edge of the main downtown area, a block away from the Nordstrom with convenient public parking very close also, and also very close to the oft-mentioned food stalls. Portland is a very nice little city, and the Westin makes a good base.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
chrislorino, General Manager at Westin Portland, responded to this review, November 2, 2009
Thank you for the review of your recent stay. First off, I'm pleased to hear that you took advantage of our special $20 upgrade offer; it sounds like you enjoyed the additional space of the Studio Suite.

With that said, it also sounds like you experienced some noise around your room and I'm sorry for that. Despite the classic, European architectural look, the builing is only 10 years old and we don't hear this feedback (noise) very often. Nonetheless, on your next visit, we will do everything in our power to ensure you have more peaceful evenings.

Thanks again and please let me know if I can ever assist in arranging your return visit.

Deltona, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2009

My husband and I booked this hotel through Hotwire.com for a last-minute trip to Portland. I had never stayed at a Westin before, so I didn't know what to expect. We were pleasantly surprised. The staff were very professional and helpful. The room was a good size with big windows. The bathroom had a tub and a shower, which was nice. The soap in the bathroom was really nice. I know it sounds silly, but it was really good soap. The bed was very comfortable, and there was a coffee machine with Starbucks coffee and "to-go" cups to take with you.

The hotel is downtown, within walking distance of the Pearl district and lots of good shopping and restaurants. One of the bartenders gave my husband a list of restaurants to try. The concierge was even able to make last-minute reservations for one of the recommended restaurants. The restaurant in the hotel is very good too though. We ate there the first night and enjoyed the food. And while I am on the subject of food I should mention that across from the hotel there are various food carts open during the day, which make for a nice cheap lunch. We had gyros from one of the food carts and they were pretty yummy!

All in all, I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed acount of your stay. Firstly, thank you for choosing us on your last minute trip to Portland and I'm happy to read that you had so many positive experiences throughout the hotel. In addition, I'm glad that we were able to assist you with dining options in the city and it looks like you discovered the famous food carts of Portland too!!!

Thanks again and we look forward to having you back again.

Shelton,WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

We picked the Westin after a previous visit with another couple. We booked different hotels, we were impressed with the amenities and the room at the Westin so on our return visit we picked it. From dining advice from the bartender in the Daily Grill to the manager replacing our fire alarm battery, the staff excelled. We ate breakfast in the Grill, service and food were very good. We will chose the Westin on our next trip for sure.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
The title of your review says it all....and I'm thrilled you had a relaxing stay and found the staff helpful. I will be sure to share your review with the whole team, particularly the Daily Grill Restaurant bartender and the manager who assisted you.

Thank you again. We look forward to welcoming you back!!

Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2009

Stayed here four days for recent business trip. Location is outstanding in downtown Portland. Rooms are top notch and even meeting rooms had huge, great windows, a departure from the closed in, stuffy, "could be in any hotel anywhere" meeting rooms that are typical. Shower heads in rooms are worth the stay alone. Great, large workout facililty. Parking is the only thing I would describe as a joke. You can either use their valet for $25/night or park in some sketchy pay lot a couple of blocks away. Only drawback to this place.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to provide detail on your recent stay; I appreciate the feedback, as I'm sure other travelers do as well.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the room, Heavenly shower and our meeting rooms, which, you are right, they have great floor-to-ceiling windows and natural light.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Portland.

Chris Lorino, General Manager

Been to Westin Portland? Share your experiences!