“Fun place to party” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Jupiter Hotel

You added Jupiter Hotel to your Saves list
Jupiter Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   800 E Burnside St, Portland, OR 97214 (Formerly Travel Inn Motel)   |
Ranked #66 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Burlingame, California
“Fun place to party”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2007

This is a great place to stay if you're going to a concert at the Doug Fir - probably not the best place to stay just for sleeping. Plenty of bars to walk to after the show and a lovely patio for byob drinking.

Actually it was kind of a crazy place, it’s an old motel converted into this weird hipster-loungey place. The doors were made out of chalkboards, there are free condoms and earplugs in every room, and speakers to plug your ipod into (this is a rare treasure - i wish more hotels would catch on to it). Still, it was more relaxed than i expected, given the hyper-stylized rooms and tattooed patrons.

The room itself was small, the bed was uncomfortable, but i loved the mod decor and the location. Just a short walk across the Burnside bridge to Saturday Market, Old Town, etc. Don't bother eating at the Doug Fir restaurant; there are much better restaurants nearby.

• Liked — Unique design, fun novelties
  • Disliked — Uncomfortable bed
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2007

We were out in Portland for a long weekend and stayed at the Jupiter Hotel on Burnside. We LOVED it. great design,
comfortable rooms, we had down comforters and cotton sheets, no polyester to be found, free wifi, VOSS mineral water, (for half the price of the W), and the staff was casual, nice and friendly.

It's a neat concept, an old 60's motor lodge, transformed into this high energy urban oasis, courtyards with fireplaces, loungy furniture, great music playing throughout, plus they have this amazing retro diner restaurant club called the Doug Fir, with massive logs protruding all over the place, buffalo burgers, fresh salmon and this groovy underground rock club that features all of these amazing indie bands..

We will definitely be back, I wish there were more places like this around..

Traveljunky

• Liked — Great value, design, casual service
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
seattle, wa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2007

we booked on line not knowing what this hotel was like. very surprised when i arrived. We gotr a nice room with one queen bed. very clean. The staff was nice and friendly. Very in the know about where to go, what to see, and how to get there.

The room was clean. People have written about noise, but we were there on a friday and were not disturbed. The room doors are made of chalkboard and they supply chalk.

the gify shop is funky, the hair salon was buzy. I enjoyed my stay.
would definetely stay here again.

• Liked — clean and nice design.. very comfortable
  • Disliked — it rained..
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2007

Friends and I chose to stay at this hotel to save money while attending a conference. Although the hotel worked out nicely for us, I'm not sure that it is for everyone.

Right away, we were told that they'd given our room to another group. So, they split us into two rooms but only charged us for one room. That actually worked out nicely, and gave us a bit more space.

They had the Dew Action Sports Tour staying at the hotel, so there was a lot of loud partying and skateboarding throughout the trip. Didn't bother us much because we weren't at the hotel very much.

The Doug Fir restaurant is nice and had a nice atmosphere. However, the area immediately surrounding the hotel is not so nice.

Guests were able to make long distance calls and have internet access free of charge. The desk staff was super nice, and always was able to get cabs right away. It was a really friendly group.

However, immediately after leaving, as I got off my flight, I had a message waiting- it was the hotel saying that I had ruined the bedding and towels in my room with hair dye (which I've never used in my life) and would be billed for the damaged items. In the end it was worked out, and it turned out to be a mix-up, but it was still a little upsetting.

• Stayed August 2005, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
nyc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2007

I stayed here 2 nights...I really wish I would have gotten a different hotel for the Friday night. The outside music was "supposed" to be turned off at 10pm. I had to call at 2am to have them turn it off. The phone call I made to have them turn the music off was also made on my cell phone because unlike a normal hotel or even motel they didn't have a phone that connected you to the front desk. When I tried to dial from the room I got the disconnected signal. Then there were people outside on the walkway drinking and laughing with their room door open shouting to the other rooms. People were outside at the Doug FIr (this is a separate business and the motel is not responsible for managing the noise from patrons) People were outside laughing and having a good time until about 4am, we had to leave the room and go to the reception in order to have someone deal with the noise. Overall...I would stay here unless you plan on passing out from drinking or you are deaf. Considering this is a "party" motel (told this by the staff after complaining) the check-out time is a little early...11am. Also just a side note, the shower curtain was completely destroyed(ripped and falling off the hooks).

• Disliked — everything
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Olympia, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2007

First off, the room I booked online AND over the phone somehow had become unavailable in the three hours between booking and checking in, So we were downgraded. They charge $7 for parking in a garage that leaks like a sieve, while the average cost of parking nearby runs from Free to $3. There is a Dance Club downstairs full of drunken fratboys that blares lame DJ music until 3:30 AM. Yep! 3:30 AM! Then for the next half an hour when the club lets out the drunken fratboys mill around the area around the hotel shouting and whoopin' it up. I guess that's cool if you enjoy staying up until 4AM. Features to note are the sex toy shop at ground level and the condom in lieu of the pillow mint.
Never again, I say.

Stayed April 2007
Philadelphia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2007

We had $100/night reservations, but the desk girl switched us to a cramped, spartan room with--get this--no water. I'm not saying no hot water. I'm saying we couldn't take any kind of shower in the morning. A small trickle of cold water dripped from the sink. When we asked if we could at least use a shower in one of the other rooms, the staff said "no." Finally, the manager gave us $15 off, making it $85 for a bed in a very small, white room. Like other reviewers have said, the best thing about the Juniper are the fantasies of the web site developer. The actual room does not look cool. Just white, which is pretty cheap paint. There's one (1) fuzzy pillow provided, and the door has chalkboard paint on it. That's the limits of the mod vibe. Weirdly, 50-something super-bourgeois Iadies-who-lunch poured out of the motel rooms the next morning. Were they the the 20-something punk and hipster staffs' moms? I would say only stay at the Juniper if you're the mom of staff, or you're impromptu crashing after a Doug Fir show. Otherwise, Portland has lots better. McMenimen's are better and affordable.

• Liked — The Doug Fir
  • Disliked — lack of water
  • Stayed February 2005, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Jupiter Hotel? Share your experiences!