“Space-tastic hipster hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Jupiter Hotel

You added Jupiter Hotel to your Saves list
Jupiter Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   800 E Burnside St, Portland, OR 97214 (Formerly Travel Inn Motel)   |
Ranked #67 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Tokyo, Japan
“Space-tastic hipster hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

If you like retro-cool hotels and nightlife, the Jupiter is a great choice. It's located in the young, hip part of Portland (near the Lovecraft bar and other nightlife). Across the street are several great vintage shops. The lobby doubles as an art gallery, and the staff is a lot of fun - they even dressed up in DIY creative costumes for Halloween. The rooms have a chalkboard on the door, encouraging guests to get artsy. Inside, the rooms are spacious and decor is funky; my room had an acid Buddha mural on one wall. The Jupiter can get a bit loud at night because of the Douglas Fir bar outside, but if you're a nightlife type, this won't be any issue. You can see more Portland young travel coverage in this section of La Carmina blog (http://www.lacarmina.com/blog/category/portland-oregon/)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
aljupiter, General Manager at Jupiter Hotel, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Dear LaCarmina,

We very much appreciate having the opportunity to serve you and thanks for the feedback. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and we welcome you back anytime in the future.

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

We had a great time as this hotel - BUT - we knew exactly what to expect based on our local friends' suggestions. It's a very hip and trendy place, and very loud. There is music blasting through their speakers all day. They sell underwear at the front desk. A tour van pulled up in front of our room for hours. It's THAT kind of a place. The rooms were fun and functional. The staff was very friendly. We'd stay here again if we were in Portland. The prices are great too, and it's in a central location (you can walk to VooDoo donuts :) ).

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear WorldsRoyster,

Thank you for your patronage! We very much appreciate your business and the time taken to give us feedback. We completely agree that guests should be informed of the atmosphere on property as we tend to be a better fit when expectations are met or exceeded. Thank you again for your thoughts and we hope to see you back here soon!

Galway, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

We stayed at the Jupiter for a night or two and it had all cool stuff you don't find in other hotels (visual wall murals, free condoms, chalkboard doors). But the bathroom looked tired and our door kept sticking (for the prices you pay, you want to make sure your door closes safely, right?).

Our room (as many rooms do) are located right beside the Doug Fir outside seating area, which gets quite loud, so I would recommend requesting a room away from there if you're not a night-owl. Also, in case you think you can access this outside area via the gates beside your room - you can't. We had illusions of chilling out with our beers (The Jupiter offer a Distillery Package with local beers...) near the fire pit .... but no. You have to enter the Doug Fir, buy your beverage and then access the outside via the bar. It just looks a bit misleading when you first arrive. The Jupiter has their own outdoor seating area, with no heaters and no lights. Bit disappointing and just drives you towards the Doug Fir.

But it is very cool, the interiors and the layout are quite unique. Staff are friendly but I think if you want to be closer to downtown Portland, look else where.

Room Tip: If you like your sleep, request a room away from the outside seating area.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Wander_Wan,

Thank you for staying with us and for providing your candid feedback. I completely understand how it can be a let down when something looks open and accessible but is not. We try to keep the vibe alive and both us and the Doug Fir would love for you to hang on the patios with your own beers, alas OLCC regulations don't allow that, however, I agree there should be more lighting in the courtyard, so I have setup our event lights to come on at 3pm - 11pm each day. I hope this improves the vibe for you and future guests. I would also offer that in the summertime we strip down the tent to let in the sunlight and it becomes a haven for guests, so be sure to come back during our sunshine months. Lastly, as I would never want our guests to feel our rooms are "tired" I can say that we are constantly renovating the rooms and I would be willing to bet yours is scheduled for this year, I am sorry it was not ready this time however contact me directly for future stays I can make sure this happens. I am very happy for your business and for your feedback, both are important to us!

Ashland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Centrally located on the NE side of Portland on Burnside in a wonderful neighborhood, and easy to walk or bus downtown. Great music from the Doug Fir, attached through the underground parking garage stage door. Draw in chalk on the door, bounce on the bed (no squeaking beds here). The room was small, and the price was reasonable.

Room Tip: Chill rooms are farther from the Doug Fir
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Maureen F,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experience. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and I hope to see you here again soon!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

Any hotel that provides a set of earplugs and a condom on your bedside table is sure to be interesting - and Jupiter is certainly that.

I stayed here for one night in January on a work trip. The staff on check in/out were very friendly and couldn't do enough to help. I was situated in the "chill" wing on the second floor. The room was nice enough with a retro/funky vibe and really cool mural on the wall. The bed is comfy and the room has everything that you need.

I may have lucked out with noisy neighbors that night but the earplugs were a necessity. Lots of laughing and banging going on in the next room until the wee hours.

Sadly, I didn't require the condom :P

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
aljupiter, General Manager at Jupiter Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Dear Todd1975,

Thank you for staying with us at the Jupiter Hotel and for taking the time to share your experience. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and I completely agree that we are the best kind of interesting if that is what you are looking for. I will be sure to share your accolades with our staff and the great job they did. I hope to see you back here again soon!

Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

We just returned from 3 days at the Jupiter, and concluded we liked it more in theory than in execution. We chose the hotel because of its great buzz and because we were going to the NYE party at the Doug Fir.

The check-in clerk working the evening of 12/30 was really warm and friendly, and made an excellent first impression. We ordered a package that included some coupons - including free Voodoo donuts - and were also pleasantly surprised when the hotel gave all guests a bottle of prosecco on NYE. That was really thoughtful.

My major problem with this hotel is parking. It is first-come, first-served, meaning that even if your rate includes parking, if you come back from dinner to find there are no spaces in the garage or their surface lot, you are just out of luck. At about 10 pm, we could not find a space in the garage, the surface lot, or the surrounding neighborhood and phoned the front desk for help. The clerk was totally unconcerned, and the only advice he could offer was to drive around the neighborhood until we found something. We spent 25 minutes doing that, and were on the verge of parking in a deck downtown and calling a taxi to take us back to the hotel when we found a spot that was metered for one hour parking. We had no choice but to park there, and then walked 6 blocks after dark in an unfamiliar area to get back to the hotel.

We went to the front desk to find out whether hourly parking limits were enforced on holidays or what the consequences would be of parking over time. The clerk did not know, so we had to assume that the rules applied. His advice was that they probably would just ticket rather than tow, so he encouraged us to risk it. His demeanor was unconcerned, unapologetic. The car was not towed or ticketed, but we were stressed about it all night, and had to get up early on New Years Day to move the car before the city started checking meters at 7am (the time the clerk cited).

Even if the hotel cannot provide parking to all of the guests to which it issues parking passes, which is a management problem, the least it could do is prepare its employees to advise those customers with parking passes about where to park in the event that all of the hotel's spaces are gone. In the alternative, on days the hotel knows demand will exceed supply (certainly they KNOW how many passes they issue and how many spaces they have) arrangements for a valet could be made. I have a real problem with how this was handled.

Normally I wouldn't make a complaint on TA without voicing it to management first and giving them a chance to address the concern, but since nobody bothered to ask how my stay was when I checked out, I did not feel obligated to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I know that this is not a luxury hotel, and I don't need a porter, a valet, a concierge, elevators. I was looking forward to the more chill vibe. But, in this case, there are trade offs. In the future, I will choose another hotel in Portland. Staying in a hotel should be enjoyable, not a source of stress.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
aljupiter, General Manager at Jupiter Hotel, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Dear JAtlanta,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am very sorry that you were unable to enjoy your stay. I completely agree that small things can make all the difference and our staff could have provided you more in regards to concern, caring and finding solutions to your parking issues. I can assure you that I will work with our staff to be aware of parking policies around the hotel and to what extent they apply to holidays and weekends. Holidays such as NYE are hard for us as so many people drive, however on average our 2 lots have plenty of space for all guests and so should not be an issue for future stays. With that said, parking is something that we are constantly trying to find a better solution for. My hope is that you come back and give us the chance to show you how stress free a stay here can be. Thank you again for your business and I hope to have another chance to serve you in the future.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

The Jupiter has a chic motel vibe with funky rooms each decorated with unique artwork. The facilities are quite basic yet comfortable and there are lovely natural toiletries in the bathroom. The blackboard door with chalks is a nice little touch too. The restaurant is quite nice, the food was ok but not great. Very friendly and attentive staff.

The noise from the music venue and the restaurant is very loud and starts around 10am, can be heard in the room so try and stay as far away as possible. The hotel provides earplugs but they don't help much if you're staying near the venue like we were.

Not far from the famous Voodoo Donut which is a must for all Portland visitors!

Room Tip: Demand a room away from the venue!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Maya808,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your observations as they truly are the best way we have to measure our performance as a hotel. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the property overall but am sorry that noise was an issue, especially at 10am. We do not have any music shows that early on average so I am not sure what the source of the music was that you heard. I can say with 100% confidence that your issues with music that early, were a one-time occurrence and would not be repeated for future stays. My hope is that you give us another chance to show you how wonderful and peaceful a stay at the Jupiter can be.

Assistant General Manager

Been to Jupiter Hotel? Share your experiences!