“Fun place to stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Jupiter Hotel

You added Jupiter Hotel to your Saves list
Jupiter Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   800 E Burnside St, Portland, OR 97214 (Formerly Travel Inn Motel)   |
Ranked #67 of 133 Hotels in Portland
los angeles
“Fun place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

The rooms are simple, clean and small (ours was VERY small) with some fun hipster touches, like a dry-erase boarded door that you can write on, and a copy of "The Four Agreements" on the nightstand. The clientele is young and it gets very loud throughout the night because of their bar becomes a popular club. I used the earplugs that the room came with, so the noise didn't bother me. Employees are friendly and helpful, and of course, mucho hip.

I would definitely stay there again! Oh, and the food at the Doug Fir is great, especially the breakfast.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
aljupiter, General Manager at Jupiter Hotel, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Dear megado5,

So happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We really do try to provide a fun, "mucho hip" atmosphere that people will enjoy and it sounds like we succeeded. We understand we have a louder than average hotel, hence the earplugs, but as you experienced; a relaxed stay with lots of sleep is the norm not the exception. I look forward to having you come back and stay with us in the future.

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Idaho
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

My 20 year old daughter & I stayed at the Jupiter Hotel this past weekend. It was seemed the closest place near Float On which was a major part of our weekend. It felt like the actual structure of the hotel hadn't changed much since decades ago, but the rooms were updated for the modern, hipster IKEA crowd. Another review said something like if Super 8 and IKEA had a baby...yep, that's a fair assessment.

The good:
Really clean.
Front desk guys were friendly and helpful.
The chalkboard door was a lot of fun.
Close to everything.
Beds were comfortable.

The not so good:
It was noisy. We knew this going in, though, due to reviews. We had room 124 on the Chill Side. It was not noise from the Doug Fir that was loud, it was the people walking on the street outside our window, it was the people in the room above us, it was people a few rooms down. There are earplugs in the drawer so if you're a light sleeper, use them!

Parking: Only two actual spaces near the rooms. There is a parking lot across the street, however and and underground parking garage.

Heat in room: It was freezing in our room so once we figured out that that AC was also the heater we were good, but it had a weird smell and made some really loud noise if it ran too long.

Shower water temp: It was perfect, then super hot, the perfect, then freezing....repeat until end of shower. The water pressure was awesome for a hotel/motel, though.

Outlets on/under desk: Turn the lamps off with their individual switches, not the main room switch otherwise they don't work,

All in all, it was what I expected. I would absolutely stay there again. Just read the many reviews as most seem really accurate.

Room Tip: I would suggest an upstairs room on the Chill Side if possible.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Jusacuz,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback from your recent stay. We truly appreciate all the positive comments and negative suggestions as it helps us know how we are doing as a hotel. There certainly is a lot of things to love about the hotel and certainly some things we can and are working on. I am glad that in the end everything worked out to provide you a great place to stay. I will personally see to the heating in that room, but also wanted to let you know that the shower issues property-wide are being fixed as we speak so expect the perfect temperature throughout your next stay with us! Thank you again for your business and I hope to see you on the arrivals list soon!

Reston, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Jupiter in July 2012 when he was attending a conference for work.

The Pros:

- Great price
- Great location, especially if you want to check out fun shops, coffee houses and restaurants nearby
- Eco friendly... they have a few rules in place to try and be environmentally conscious
- Bike rental

The Cons:

- The carpet is scratchy
- The air conditioning smells a little
- You can see people walk by through your window

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Vronica346,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We appreciate how busy everyone is, and for taking that time we thank you. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and while there are some design elements that do not hit the mark for everyone, we are constantly trying to evolve based on the feedback we receive. Please come back and stay with us anytime you are in the Portland area.

Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I booked a night due to a holiday, so I wouldn't have to take a cab all the way home. It's not to far away from downtown and if you take a cab it's only about $5-7 USD. I wouldn't recommend this hotel for anybody looking for a quiet place to stay. The bar / restaurant is right outside and a lot of people circulate in and out. The bar is really fun, it's a great place to get drinks I do come here a lot (not the hotel). The floors in the bathroom were not clean whatsoever, I took a photo. Parking is $9 USD a night, there's a lot of street parking but Mon-Fri it's a two hour limit from 07:00-18:00 so keep that in mind. Staff is very nice and willing to help anytime. Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed March 2013
Dear MarkZ-PDX,

I am glad that the hotel provided the perfect spot for your Portland trip. We find that the close location to downtown and the Doug Fir Lounge are just the right reasons to stay with us. We are always trying to improve the hotel and while I assure you that the highest standards are upheld in the cleaning of our rooms and floors, there are some tile floors that are older and do look slightly dirty. Have no fear, we are in the process of renovating these so next time be sure to check your reflection in the new custom tiles.

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

My boyfriend and I attended a music festival at the Bossanova Ballroom last summer and the logical place to stay was next door at the Jupiter. Needless to say, we were not disappointed!

I discovered Wax On Spa was right next door, so I popped in for some much-needed maintenance before the show. Sizzle Pie is a short walk and great for late-night nosh and the food at the Doug Fir is incredible. Other gems we found within a few blocks included Voodoo Too (which is vastly superior to the original), Hippo Hardware (amazing vintage hardware finds), and Old Time Music (fabulous selection of used pedals).

Our room was clean and convenient and the noise was far less than we expected when we opted for the room closest the bar. The shower and bathroom door looked like they had been fallen into by drunks a few too many times and the makeshift repairs on the shower knob made it impossible to get strong water pressure. Normally, that would be a down side, but it didn't seem unexpected, given the party vibe of the space. The front door was secure, everything was clean, and the a/c worked great, so we got what we wanted.

I'm looking forward to returning with my now fiance for our anniversary this weekend as we catch another show at the Bossanova Ballroom!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
aljupiter, General Manager at Jupiter Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Dear octalpus,

Thank you for staying with us last summer and thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Good location and lots to do here (on-property and off) gives us the upper edge among other hotels and it seems these reasons and others made for a great stay. I am happy to say that we are renovating the bathrooms here and hopefully will have them ready for your next stay. Congrats on the engagement and can't wait to see you in the future.

Assistant General Manager

Been to Jupiter Hotel? Share your experiences!