“Hip n' Trendy” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Jupiter Hotel

Save Saved
You added Jupiter Hotel to your Saves list
Jupiter Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   800 E Burnside St, Portland, OR 97214 (Formerly Travel Inn Motel)   |
Ranked #70 of 132 hotels in Portland
Portland, Oregon
“Hip n' Trendy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I booked a night due to a holiday, so I wouldn't have to take a cab all the way home. It's not to far away from downtown and if you take a cab it's only about $5-7 USD. I wouldn't recommend this hotel for anybody looking for a quiet place to stay. The bar / restaurant is right outside and a lot of people circulate in and out. The bar is really fun, it's a great place to get drinks I do come here a lot (not the hotel). The floors in the bathroom were not clean whatsoever, I took a photo. Parking is $9 USD a night, there's a lot of street parking but Mon-Fri it's a two hour limit from 07:00-18:00 so keep that in mind. Staff is very nice and willing to help anytime. Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed March 2013
aljupiter, General Manager at Jupiter Hotel, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Dear MarkZ-PDX,

I am glad that the hotel provided the perfect spot for your Portland trip. We find that the close location to downtown and the Doug Fir Lounge are just the right reasons to stay with us. We are always trying to improve the hotel and while I assure you that the highest standards are upheld in the cleaning of our rooms and floors, there are some tile floors that are older and do look slightly dirty. Have no fear, we are in the process of renovating these so next time be sure to check your reflection in the new custom tiles.

320 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

My boyfriend and I attended a music festival at the Bossanova Ballroom last summer and the logical place to stay was next door at the Jupiter. Needless to say, we were not disappointed!

I discovered Wax On Spa was right next door, so I popped in for some much-needed maintenance before the show. Sizzle Pie is a short walk and great for late-night nosh and the food at the Doug Fir is incredible. Other gems we found within a few blocks included Voodoo Too (which is vastly superior to the original), Hippo Hardware (amazing vintage hardware finds), and Old Time Music (fabulous selection of used pedals).

Our room was clean and convenient and the noise was far less than we expected when we opted for the room closest the bar. The shower and bathroom door looked like they had been fallen into by drunks a few too many times and the makeshift repairs on the shower knob made it impossible to get strong water pressure. Normally, that would be a down side, but it didn't seem unexpected, given the party vibe of the space. The front door was secure, everything was clean, and the a/c worked great, so we got what we wanted.

I'm looking forward to returning with my now fiance for our anniversary this weekend as we catch another show at the Bossanova Ballroom!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
aljupiter, General Manager at Jupiter Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Dear octalpus,

Thank you for staying with us last summer and thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Good location and lots to do here (on-property and off) gives us the upper edge among other hotels and it seems these reasons and others made for a great stay. I am happy to say that we are renovating the bathrooms here and hopefully will have them ready for your next stay. Congrats on the engagement and can't wait to see you in the future.

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

First time to visit Portland and was so glad to have stayed at Jupiter Hotel for 3 nights. The location is good. Fun decor in the rooms. There were coffee shops, restaurants, and interesting shops very close by. We also enjoyed our morning runs in the neighborhoods around the hotel. Cozy bar and fun music scene in the club on site. They are nice enough to provide ear plugs on the night stand to help if the noise from the lounge gets to you when you decide to go to bed. It has a young, fun atmosphere. Stay here if you want to enjoy that kind of an experience.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
aljupiter, General Manager at Jupiter Hotel, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Dear Meg666,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent trip to Portland. I am supremely glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and the closeness to neighboring restaurants and running paths. We generally have a hard time recommending the best places for our guests to go being that there are so many great ones around us, but sounds like our Doug Fir restaurant/ music venue was all that you needed. Please come back and stay with us anytime you are in Portland!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in Portland for three nights in January (2013). The price was nice and great location. Close to the bus stop and there were many places to eat and drink. Took about 45 mins from pdx to this hotel via public transportation. The rooms were decent, small but manageable. We got rooms near the restaurant/lounge so at times, you can hear commotions outside. The bathroom had no fan so you can also hear what's going on as well. I know there were many other rooms more in the back but we got the cheapest room so we knew what we were getting. The restaurant is very close (Doug fir) and convenient. We walked all over and felt safe. Overall, not a bad place considering the price and location. The staff were friendly and courteous.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Glen S,

We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that it was so close to everything you were doing in Portland! We understand that we have an active property and are very happy to hear that it did not bother you too much! We would be very interested to know what room you stayed in as each bathroom on our property has a bathroom fan, so if you didn't have one we would like to investigate that. Please contact me directly for the details of your reservation and if you would like to make a future reservation.

Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We recently stayed at the Jupiter Hotel for four nights. It was my husband's second time staying and had warned me to make sure we requested a "chill side" room. These rooms are away from the bar patio which was pretty quiet. The room itself I was suprised at how small it was, but the bed was comfortable and the room was clean. The customer service at the front desk was also good. Note that there is $9 a night parking fee... almost the entire time were able to park in the secure garage which I appreciated, though one night we were stuck in the unsecure dark gravel lot which made me a little nervous. No problems though. Also, a good central location for wondering around Portland. I would still probably search for an airbnb place to stay first, but this would be my lower priced hotel go-to.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear woodgrainlove,

Thank you to yourself and your husband for the continued business and support of the Jupiter Hotel. It truly is the best feedback for us to hear that guests come back time and time again. I am glad that you enjoyed your recent stay with us including our service and parking amenities. Please contact myself directly next time you are planning a trip to Portland as I would love to personally thank you and see to the details of your next reservation.

Queretaro, Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I recently stayed in the Jupiter from the 28th to the 30th of December 2012 . I would say if you want to party and not sleep this is your option, the hotel has a cool different design but it is really noisy. At first I thought it was the noise from the lounge, but to my surprise the noise came from the room below. The shower goes from hot to cold every 40 seconds. The staff is friendly, but that's it. I have always looked for cool trendy hotels, but this was extremely noisy and I couldn't rest as I wished.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
aljupiter, General Manager at Jupiter Hotel, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear Isauro23,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We understand that we have an atmosphere that while trendy, is not for everyone. I am sorry to hear that you were unable to sleep during your stay and that noise from other rooms was the cause of the disturbance. We try to manage an individual experience for all our guests and sometimes the experiences sought by one guest overlap another guest's experience in a less than agreeable way. We are always here 24/7 to make sure that times like these are mitigated for your continued pleasure and we certainly welcome guests to speak up about issues so that we have the opportunity to rectify the situation. I am not sure if you contacted us regarding the noise, however I will say that you would find more tranquility with a stay on our "Chill side", where rooms are away from the lounge. Please contact me directly if you are in Portland again, as I would love to personally see to the details of a stay that I am confident would give you a better experience.

Assistant General Manager

Been to Jupiter Hotel? Share your experiences!