“Funky, friendly and well located” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Jupiter Hotel

You added Jupiter Hotel to your Saves list
Jupiter Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   800 E Burnside St, Portland, OR 97214 (Formerly Travel Inn Motel)   |
Ranked #67 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Vancouver, Canada
“Funky, friendly and well located”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I've stayed at the Jupiter many times and always had a great experience. I have stayed in both sides of the hotel (bar and chill) and they rooms as exactly as specified on their website. So really, this hotel can be whatever you want - lively or loud. The bar side is cheaper but will be loud until the Doug Fir closes and people head home, the chill side is much quieter and you can have a peaceful night sleep. Choose according to your needs, if you're expecting a ritzy hotel this ain't it, but it's modern, clean and friendly.

The staff have always been amazing every time I've visited and it's once thing that will always make me come back. The location is wonderful, although it seems a ways out of the downtown core it's really centrally located. You can walk into the city (with a wonderful view over the bridge) in 10 mins or head over to Portland's east side and check out some of the funky bars and restaurants.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Jupiter to anyone. It's a great place with friendly people. Just choose the chill side if you want a quieter evening.

Room Tip: If you want quiet and an early night of sleeping don't choose the bar side rooms. All the rest a...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
aljupiter, General Manager at Jupiter Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Dear Mish_Mash_III,

Thank you for your continued business, we really appreciate it and it let's us know we are doing the right things to garner our guests' loyalty. We also very much appreciate your tips to other travelers as too many times people review a business subjectively rather than objectively and your style truly gives future guests the insiders guide to make their own decisions on how to customize their personal experience. We look forward to seeing you again and thank you for all the recommendations!!!

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at the Jupiter this past weekend. The hotel is about a mile from the train station and totally walkable, even in the rain. The room was small, but had everything we needed and the bed was very comfy. We enjoyed our stay and wouldn't hesitate to return for our next visit!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
aljupiter, General Manager at Jupiter Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Dear cherylvu,

I am glad that you enjoyed the hotel and our beds! I am also very glad to hear that the Portland "sunshine" didn't get you down! We appreciate your patronage and are very glad to hear that you will be coming back as that is the greatest measure of how successful we are as a hotel! In addition to being very close to the train station we are also close to the Bolt Bus station and the Max/Streetcar line from the airport, in case the next time you visit you want to travel in another manner.

OLYMPIA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I started staying at the Jupiter back in 2008 while I was in Portland for business and I've been back many times since.

The rooms, I stayed in a Lobu Queen room, are comfortable and visually engaging, although not entirely quiet. But, people don't seem to typically stay here for R&R. With the Doug Fir a stone's throw away, good food and good live entertainment are a part of the experience you won't want to miss. Check out: http://www.dougfirlounge.com/cal for a list of upcoming events during your stay.

The hotel also offers a bevvy of unique trip packages to turn your stay into something truly memorable. From the "Keep Portland Weird" package, which includes a gift certificate to the World (in)famous Voodoo Doughnut (mmmm bacon maple bars!) to the LexiDog packages for those travelling with their furry best buds, the Jupiter Hotel has something for every one.

As a side note the parking garage can be a little tricky, especially for larger cars. Consider parking on the street.

Room Tip: The Jupiter offers different types of rooms for every personality and budget. Choose one that's...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear CTaylor_Oly,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your wonderful feedback! I am glad that you appreciated the Doug Fir and that our package selection and our adaptability to each budget and personality allowed you to enjoy the Jupiter and Portland even more! You are always welcome here and I hope the opportunity presents itself on you next visit to thank you personally for your business!

Richmond
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We had a great time at the Jupiter. The rooms were very comfortable, and well furnished. We called room service and they showed up five minutes later with a pail of beers for a very reasonable price. The atmosphere around the Doug Fir lounge was exciting, and the fire place gave a neat place to meet and socialize. We didn't have any issue with noise, even though there was a band playing and lots of people attending.

The staff went the extra mile when my friend left an envelope with money in the room (by accident!). We were well on our way home when we got a call from the hotel. The manager courriered the envelope to my friend's work, very promptly! Talk about honesty and service!

Very fun place to stay! Will definitely be staying there again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
aljupiter, General Manager at Jupiter Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear rwilger,

I'm very glad that you enjoyed the property as much as you did. We try very hard to establish the atmosphere here and we certainly try to make available, things to make your stay even better (bucket of chilled beer delivered to your room). I'm glad you got the envelope we sent you, we always make sure and return lost items asap! I hope we see you sooner than later here in Portland!

Lincoln City, Oregon, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel for a wedding. When we got there our reservation for a two bed room was lost & all they had was a one bed room for 4 of us. That was a bummer for sure. Mistakes are made, but the question is, what do they do to fix it. They did everything possible. There was no room to give us then, but they offered to comp our room, get us one at another hotel close by, or after the wedding reception was over at 11pm, clean the room set aside for the wedding reception, & give it to us.
We were pleasently surprised and greatly appreciated their efforts!

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Lonnie F,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Ultimately, we do not pretend we don't make mistakes and while we do try to make sure they don't happen, they do and we pride ourselves on fixing them as best we can. I am glad to hear that you walked away feeling like we did everything we could have as that is our goal. I can assure you though that your next stay will be free of issues and please don't hesitate to contact me directly for reservations.

Horsens, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

On the positive note, the location is away from the homeless milling about downtown and there are buses and trams that could easily take you to commercial pockets (Stark, Hawthorne, Division, Nob etc) where you will find artsy shops and really good neighborhood cafes and restaurants with homey local feel to them. However, the double room is tiny, there are not enough places to hang clothes and towels, the room cleaning is rather haphazard, the front desk staff are not very friendly, the airconditioning is the biggest source of noise (and the "off" switch does not work), and there are no windows you can open to freshen the air in the room. Still, I think it is ok value for the money, so if there is a lodging crunch in Portland I could maybe see myself considering a return. Would not be a place I would easily recommend to friends, though.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
aljupiter, General Manager at Jupiter Hotel, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Dear sonjee,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us. I am very sorry that you did not completely enjoy your experience and wish that you had brought these issues to my attention during your time with us so that I may have had the chance to rectify issues which certainly could have been fixed. I would, for the sake of future guests love for you to provide your room # so that I can have the A/C unit looked at. Please contact me directly at you earliest convenience if you would like to provide this information.

Zach Miller - zachjupiterhotel@gmail.com
Vancouver Island, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Ok so I am already obsessed with Portland in general and after staying at the Jupiter I am now a bit obsessed with this hotel too. The most incredibly fun, clean, comfortable and interesting hotel I have ever stayed at. What could easily be a boring motor inn hotel is instead a hotel experience located in a unique neighbourhood in Portland. I stayed in a 2 queen room looking over the courtyard area and loved it. From the chalk board doors to the creative in room art to the clean and comfortable bedding and decor I have nothing negative to say about my stay here. My only comments would be that they need to have in room full size ironing board and an iron. The Doug Fir is a great chill spot for drinks at night or dinner. Can't wait to go back to the PDX and I would never consider staying any where else!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
aljupiter, General Manager at Jupiter Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear MissBCD,

The obsession is mutual, as we truly appreciate your business and are obsessed with providing the perfect experience for yourself and other guests. Next time your coming to Portland, ask for me directly and I will personally see to the details of your next perfect stay!

Zach Miller

Been to Jupiter Hotel? Share your experiences!