“This is OK” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Jupiter Hotel

Save Saved
You added Jupiter Hotel to your Saves list
Jupiter Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   800 E Burnside St, Portland, OR 97214 (Formerly Travel Inn Motel)   |
Ranked #66 of 132 Hotels in Portland
Horsens, Denmark
“This is OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

On the positive note, the location is away from the homeless milling about downtown and there are buses and trams that could easily take you to commercial pockets (Stark, Hawthorne, Division, Nob etc) where you will find artsy shops and really good neighborhood cafes and restaurants with homey local feel to them. However, the double room is tiny, there are not enough places to hang clothes and towels, the room cleaning is rather haphazard, the front desk staff are not very friendly, the airconditioning is the biggest source of noise (and the "off" switch does not work), and there are no windows you can open to freshen the air in the room. Still, I think it is ok value for the money, so if there is a lodging crunch in Portland I could maybe see myself considering a return. Would not be a place I would easily recommend to friends, though.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
aljupiter, General Manager at Jupiter Hotel, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Dear sonjee,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us. I am very sorry that you did not completely enjoy your experience and wish that you had brought these issues to my attention during your time with us so that I may have had the chance to rectify issues which certainly could have been fixed. I would, for the sake of future guests love for you to provide your room # so that I can have the A/C unit looked at. Please contact me directly at you earliest convenience if you would like to provide this information.

Zach Miller - zachjupiterhotel@gmail.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Vancouver Island, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Ok so I am already obsessed with Portland in general and after staying at the Jupiter I am now a bit obsessed with this hotel too. The most incredibly fun, clean, comfortable and interesting hotel I have ever stayed at. What could easily be a boring motor inn hotel is instead a hotel experience located in a unique neighbourhood in Portland. I stayed in a 2 queen room looking over the courtyard area and loved it. From the chalk board doors to the creative in room art to the clean and comfortable bedding and decor I have nothing negative to say about my stay here. My only comments would be that they need to have in room full size ironing board and an iron. The Doug Fir is a great chill spot for drinks at night or dinner. Can't wait to go back to the PDX and I would never consider staying any where else!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
aljupiter, General Manager at Jupiter Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear MissBCD,

The obsession is mutual, as we truly appreciate your business and are obsessed with providing the perfect experience for yourself and other guests. Next time your coming to Portland, ask for me directly and I will personally see to the details of your next perfect stay!

Paradise, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

The Jupiter hotel, appears to be a motel that has been transformed into a hotel, the communal area outside was covered in what looked like large white sails and had nice seating. The rooms are not the largest, there were two queen sized beds in our room, but not much room at the bottom of the beds to get past and the lighting could have been better. On the plus side it was on E. Burnside so driving in either direction (on Burnside) brought you quickly to shops/bars/restaurants and the Saturday Market. Our room faced onto E. Burnside and was a little noisy, ask for a room on the back of the hotel where the streets are less busy.
There was free WiFi and free coffee in the morning, the staff were friendly and polite.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back of the hotel where the streets are less busy.
Dear ScottishPaul,

Thank you for staying with us, we truly appreciate your business. Renovating a historic motor inn so that room size is up to par with newly built box hotels is hard, but as you found we managed to do it right in the heart of the east side which is full of local restaurants, bars and points of interest. We look forward to having you stay with us again and as a hint, mention the "chill side" for the quietest Jupiter rooms.

oakland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

If you value style at an affordable price over the size of the room this is the hotel for you. The staff was very attentive (I was traveling on crutches due to a ruptured achilles tendon) and made very effort to make my stay as comfortable as possible. The Doug Fir Lounge/restaurant that's connected to the hotel delivered a ton of delicious food at reasonable prices. The pork chop was so HUGE, I could barely finish it. The only detracting feature was the size of the room, the giant AC unit that took up quite a bit of space in an otherwise small room, but I think we had one of the smaller rooms and for the price, totally worth it.

Dear KdoubleyouG,

I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you took the time to share your experience. We certainly have some very value oriented rooms that are smaller, however we do have plenty of rooms that offer far more space for those that would like size above lowest price. I very much would like to have you stay with us again, so please contact me directly at the hotel and we will see if we can't get you into a larger room the next time around.

Los Angeles, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

We were on a recent trip to Portland and stayed at the hotel for 2 nights. In the title I write that it's not for seniors - i know this b/c I am not a senior - I am in my 30s but can imagine if you are looking for luxury and peace and quiet - this isn't the place. You should also know this isn't on the side of the river as Powell's and the original VooDoo Donuts and Pearl District (if you are unfamiliar with Portland) - but it's super easy walk/drive to get there.

However - it totally worked for us as we weren't in the room much. You need to know that there is a VERY Good Bar/Music Venue attached to the hotel - The Doug Fir. That said - good music = loud music until at least 12 AM or later.

They DO however provide every room with earplugs - which was very considerate. Room is decent size for a small trip and so is the shower.

PROS - your door is painted in chalkboard paint and they give you chalk to doodle (you can also email it to them to post on their blog).

- restaurant for breakfast was good - decent pirced and we went there 2 days in a row (first day I had the granola - B+ and 2nd day I had the eggs benedict with smoked salmon - A-). Staff is super cool.
- gated parking if you make it back in before the crowd arrives for the band
- walking distance from a few good restaurants and breweries.

Cons - when you are tired the room seems smaller than you want it to be
- music is cranking late night
- not totally in the heart of the city - this is not totally a con.

Overall average experience.

Room Tip: Request Rooms further from the venue closer to the side street
Dear ladusky,

Thank you for taking the time to review us! We very much appreciate your candor and objectiveness as it allows for a more accurate picture of what our future guests can expect. I would certainly agree with your assessment and look forward to seeing you again in the future.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

A great price, great location, and a happy staff. If they had a hot tub, I might move in.
It's not terrifically quiet, but that's what's fun. Lots of interesting clientele to meet-myself included, of course. Def my #1 choice in Portland. It's a good deal. Thanks, Jupiter!

• Stayed September 2012
aljupiter, General Manager at Jupiter Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2012
Dear MissSally2,

Thank you for staying with us at the Jupiter. If we had a hot tub, I myself would move in as well! Sadly that is not something we have so for now we will just have to stick with offering an affordable, fun, comfortable hotel whose guests are some of the most diversified and best of all the Portland hotels. I hope to see you here in the future - and maybe you can hang in the hot tub, as I;m going to push for one to be installed ;).

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Stayed here on the first and last day of a weeklong trip through Oregon. I am stumped by the negative/odd reviews on here. The rooms at the Jupiter are comfy and clean, the staff is super accommodating, the Doug Fir restaurant is fabulous and the 'quiet' side of the hotel is, in fact, quiet! If friendly service is 'weird,' well then give me weird any day of the week! Would recommend to anyone. Hope to return!

Dear jojo191,

I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you did not let the negative reviews affect your decision to give us a try! As you discovered and as many more hopefully will in the future, sometimes negative reviews do not accurately describe an experience here at the Jupiter. If friendly service and quiet/comfortable rooms is "weird", then we will Keep Portland Weird all day everyday! We look forward to have you stay with us again!

Zach Miller

Been to Jupiter Hotel? Share your experiences!