“Interesting venue” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Jenkintown, Pennsylvania
“Interesting venue”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

The Mark Spencer is a little funky, but still provided a good place to stay. Its location is prime: the streetcar line right in front, one block from Powell's City of Books and walking distance from lots of great restaurants and the Saturday Market. The included breakfast is quite adequate.

The rooms, however, were a bit more downscale than I had expected. Although we liked the sitting space in the junior suite, the closets were oddly placed and the bedroom was miniscule: barely enough room for the queen bed and one nightstand. My husband had about 12" clearance between his side of the bed and the wall. The curtains were dark enough but not generous enough to completely block out the very bright street lights (we were on the 2nd floor). The carpet in the sitting room was torn.

Still, for a very good bargain, I would recommend it with those caveats. The rooms were clean and the service very helpful.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Bend, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2010

We traveled to Portland for a concert and I chose the Mark Spencer based on its location (proximity to the concert venue, the Crystal Ballroom) and the fact that it was dog friendly.

This is probably the MOST pet friendly hotel I've stayed in. There is a chalkboard with all of the doggy guest names in the lobby, and our pooch received a large welcome packet. There were treats, poo bags, dog-friendly restaurants, and recommendations for walks and off leash play areas. There was a food bowl in the room and the hotel also offers furniture slipcovers if you want them.

The location, in the Pearl District, is also very central and pleasant. We were steps away from the concert, the North Park Blocks, and our favorite shops and restaurants.

Complimentary breakfast offerings are predictable but good enough to start the day. The 24 hour automatic beverage machine in the lobby was also a highlight for both me and the kids. Help yourself to hot cocoa, lattes, and chai any time, with the push of a few buttons. There is also a weekday wine reception on weeknights, but we arrived as it was winding down.

The lobby is large and comfortable. There's a computer for checking email, printing boarding passes and so on. There are racks of maps and shopping guides, full of helpful information. And, of course, the aforementioned beverage machine.

Trade-off's? This is NOT the W or another high end hotel. The rooms are NOT large, though our one-bedroom "junior" suite was big enough for us, our two teens (one on the hide-a-bed and the other on an air mattress), and our dog. But only barely.

Nor should you expect a stunning view from your room - ours overlooked a narrow alley. But the windows opened to fresh air and we didn't plan to spend much time in the room anyways. So it was not a let down for us.

Parking is in a garage located under the building. Rates weren't as bad as I expected. Since this is an older building the ceiling is very low. Our Highlander with a roof box barely made it in without scraping the top.

Would I stay at the Mark Spencer again? Absolutely, yes - especially if I'm traveling with my dog.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Cayucos, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2010

Great location and staff. Got the room amenities I requested, and more! Room was VERY large, airy, and light. The historic-style room floorplan gave it a nice character actually. Room could be updated, but that would probably translate into higher rates which i wouldn't want to trade for. The promo rate through the hotel's own site was excellent. I'll be back next year.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2010

clean and comfortable rooms;great staff;nice breakfast;great location;very affordable
i recommend this hotel to all..........

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Middleboro MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2010

My family--fourteen people from two to 85, gathered for Reed College graduation. The Mark Spencer was a bit of a hike, but we wanted to be near Powell Books and the many attractions of downtown Portland. The hotel is an older one, renovated many times (watch out for rooms numbered x01--they're near the elevators!), more interesting than elegant. But the staff could not have been friendlier or more helpful. Breakfast was simple but excellent.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2010

I arrived via Amtrak and the location of the hotel was excellent for me, an easy walk to and from the train station, and also convenient to all the sites I was visiting in downtown Portland. The hotel is very conveniently located for using the Portland Street car train, which I did several times and is free in the main downtown portland area.

I very much appreciated the level off accomodations at the hotel, everything was very clean and in good working order, the rooms were spacious, and nice, without being over the top outrageously luxurious which is unneccessary and wasteful anyway. Its an older building, so it has some quirks, but nothing I would consider a complaint, if you want everything to be modern and brand new, you might not like some of the rooms, but if you appreciate well maintained old wood and brick work this building has it!

I enjoyed the breakfast buffet (fruit, juice, rolls, toast, bagels, pastries) and the self-serve espresso machine worked well, was fun, and actually made a pretty good latte. The front desk people were very friendly and helpful.

I can't really think of any problems or complaints. My biggest complaint, and this really isn't even a complaint, was that the in-room wi-fi did not work very well for me. It had trouble connecting and often kicked me back to the main hotel or ISP home page. The hotel manager contacted me later, and said they were going through an upgrade with the wi-fi provider and were working out some bugs.

I had an excellent stay, and would love to visit again and would definitely recommend Mark Spencer to my friends. I think the Mark Spencer is an excellent combination of good value and a nice level of luxury for the price.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
methow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2010

We read reviews that complained about this being a noisy place. For us it wasn't at all. We had a Junior Suite that was comfortable and very quiet. Staff was helpful, the room was well maintained, twin beds very comfortable. (the one of us that took the hide-a-bed said it wasn't bad - for a sofabed) Access to the streetcar was another bonus. We planned a sisters reunion here - it was a perfect location. FYI - Parking was $16 a day, but very convenient.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Been to The Mark Spencer? Share your experiences!