“Great location-clean and unique” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   409 SW 11th Ave., Portland, OR 97205 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #23 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Duluth, Minnesota
“Great location-clean and unique”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

This is a fun location and great price-staff was helpful and I would definitely return to this hotel next time I'm in Portland. The rooms were well appointed and very clean; the bed was extremely comfortable.

Room Tip: Great view from a few floors up, and a bit quieter.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Pam-Coser, General Manager at The Mark Spencer, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Thank you for staying with us! I hope you enjoyed your visit to Portland and were able to experience some of the award winning restaurants, museums, local shopping and the Pride of the Northwest - our local brew pubs!
Thank you for choosing The Mark Spencer Hotel. I hope in the future, if you find yourself in Portland, you will allow us to be your host once again.

All the best,

Pam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Leesburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Older hotel on the edge of Pearl District. I found the staff to be very nice and accommodating. Good location and walking distance to a number of restaurants and shops. A Block away to the public transportation. Suite rooms are on the small side and are somewhat outdated but looks like slight renovations (new carpet) have taken place. Internet access is okay, the equipment in the business center is dated and was not very accommodating for the business traveler. This hotels provides a light breakfast with pretty bad coffee served from a machine. Plenty of really good breakfast and coffee shops nearby.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for reviewing The Mark Spencer Hotel. We look forward to hearing from our guests as this allows us the opportunity to improve our service. We are in the process of renovating the hotel, starting with our guestrooms. You can look forward to seeing not only new carpeting but a completely remodeled space. We are replacing the kitchens with granite countertops, stainless steel appliances and flat cooktops. In addition, we are adding new furnishings, window coverings, bathrooms, artwork and sound proofing. The corridors are also getting refreshed with new carpeting, artwork and guestroom doors.
I do hope you will return to see what's new. I'm sure you will be pleased with our new look!
It was a pleasure to have you as our guest.
All the best,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

I frequently travel to Portland, I always stay here, I'm never disappointed. It's just right. Walking distance to everything I want to do: museums, theatre, cinema, great restaurants, interesting shopping and the Max line will take me anywhere further. I love the combination of old-fashioned kitchenette, comfortable bed and bath, hospitable and knowledgeable front desk, friendly staff and complimentary continental breakfast, afternoon tea and early evening wine and nibbles.

Room Tip: I like the older rooms with funky kitchenette. I stayed once in the newer wing, around the corner fr...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Pam-Coser, General Manager at The Mark Spencer, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Thank you for your time in reviewing The Mark Spencer Hotel. As we continue with our renovations and guestroom remodel, I want to assure you that most of the amenities you mentioned will remain the same - the comfortable beds and luxurious linen, complimentary breakfast, afternoon tea and cookies, evening wine reception and our incredible staff!
We are very proud of the care and craftsmanship that is going into our new guestrooms. They will feature new kitchens, bathrooms (with more storage/shelving), all new furnishings, carpeting, lighting, larger flat screen TV's, artwork and guestroom doors leading into a newly renovated corridor.
I hope you will return to see these improvements. It would be my pleasure to take you on a tour of the hotel!
Best Wishes for the New Year!
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

The Mark Spencer is an incredible find in downtown Portland. For location, convenience, accommodations, and amenities, I can't imagine a better value. Moreover, they outperformed a nearby 4-star hotel in service, hospitality, and professionalism.

I stayed at the Mark Spencer for two weeks in mid-November 2013.

The location is phenomenal. Two blocks from Powell's, Target, brand name and independent shops, theaters, movies, etc.

Making my reservation over the phone was quick and easy. The person I spoke with matched a rate I found online and reserved a great room for me. The week before I was to arrive, they called me to confirm my reservation. And checkout was a breeze.

I had a corner, queen suite at the end of a hallway on the top floor. The living room area of the suite was comfortably fitted with couch, chair, desk, etc. It also had a well-furnished kitchenette with stove, fridge, and coffee maker. No microwave, though. The sitting room had a HUGE picture window, which made it especially nice to take in the many different types of weather Portland had to offer over two weeks.

The bed was exceptionally comfortable. The bathroom was clean and functional, but there wasn't much counter space.

The breakfast included fruit, cereal, toast, boiled eggs, pastries, etc. They also offer complementary afternoon tea with cookies and an evening wine reception with cheese and crackers. Both were well attended. And available 24-hours is their amazing coffee machine, which makes myriad hot beverages on demand.

The laundry facilities were clean and convenient.

Since I stayed for two weeks, I bought a month-long parking pass since it was less expensive than paying per day. The parking facilities were underneath the building, clean, well lit, and required a hotel key to access. Not only were they much less expensive than other hotels - even the daily rate - not having to wait on valet service also saved time and money.

In early October, I stayed a week at a "4 star" hotel a few blocks away, and I wish I'd known about The Mark Spencer then. The Mark Spencer, a "3 star" hotel, beat them for efficiency, professionalism, and housekeeping. The location was better, and the parking was markedly more convenient and reasonably priced. Plus, the Mark Spencer had complimentary breakfast, afternoon tea, and evening wine receptions, laundry facilities, a kitchenette, and that incredible coffee machine.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your extremely kind review of The Mark Spencer Hotel and for mentioning all the things that make it such a great location in downtown Portland. The city offers so many wonderful venues for entertainment, I hope the two weeks you spent with us was enough to see everything you had planned! Of course, you could probably spend an entire day or two just visiting Powell's Bookstore.
Thank you for making us your "home away from home." If your travels ever bring you back to Portland, it would be our pleasure to have you as our guest once again.
Thank you for choosing The Mark Spencer Hotel and Best Wishes for the New Year!
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

I needed a hotel close by to good shopping and The Mark Spencer was awesome for that. It was super close to lots of places to eat and to shop, no car necessary. It was also just a few blocks away from the train that connects to the airport, so if you have deadbeat friends like mine who didn't bother to pick you up from the airport you don't have to spend a fortune on a cab.

The staff was super friendly and helpful. I loved the afternoon tea and cookies, and the wine hour with cheese was awesome, with the gentleman running it offering more wine before I asked (which is good if you're like me and REALLY want more wine but are too shy to ask for it) The breakfast was great, with a nice assortment, and the dining room was lovely. I would 100% stay here again if I was in Portland.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Pam-Coser, General Manager at The Mark Spencer, responded to this review, December 22, 2013
Thank you for your review! It's so nice to hear you enjoyed the wine hour and afternoon tea and cookies. This is one of our favorite times of day as we get to chat with you and offer tastings of some of Oregon's finest varietals. I'm sure it was the smell of fresh baked cookies that brought you down to the lobby!
Getting around Portland is quite easy, as you stated. We have an excellent public transportation system and very short city blocks for walking. I hope you were able to see some of the best of Portland while in town.
It was our pleasure to have you as our guest and hope to see you again soon!

Tigard, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

As I sit in my room here, I realize that I should write a review.
I wish I had discovered the Mark Spencer a few years back. It was well worth the room price, and here is why:
Staff - Friendly and very helpful, as others have mentioned. They gave me good directions and advice. I saw them do this for all guests this morning, as people began checking out.
Room - Clean; Kitchen with everything included except the food to cook; Good quality T.V. which I did not use; Quiet atmosphere; Bed was like a cloud; Individual thermostat.
Bathroom: Shower was clean & had full sundries, with bathroom in clean state; Hair dryer; Good quality towels.
Breakfast: Far nicer than the standard continental style; Good atmosphere in eating area.
Room Service: There is room service. I did not eat here, so I cannot comment. I would expect that the food is great.
There is probably more that I could write, but I want to get out into the day after a good night's rest. - Zane

Room Tip: I recommend asking the front desk. They are quite honest, and seem to have guests' best interest...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for all the kind comments. Everything you mentioned is what keeps bringing our guests back time after time. We continually strive to make your hotel experience one of the best you've ever had.
As we move forward with hotel renovations, each and every one of our guestrooms will be tailored to make your stay productive and enjoyable.
I truly appreciate your time in reviewing The Mark Spencer Hotel and hope you will return to see the improvements. There's so much more to discover!

Auburn, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

On a rather impromptu trip to Portland in October- found this on TA and am SO happy we stayed there.
The location cannot be beat- within walking distance to sooo many good places to eat, public transport, coffee, shopping, and 10 blocks or so from the river. Like Portland itself, the hotel is clean, friendly, and fun without being too full of itself. I don't usually go to the happy hour wine tastings, etc. but in this case I am glad I did.Very low-key and yet classy. Decent breakfast. The room: big enough for myself and my sister to share the bedroom and my son to have the pull out. Clean, too. Really nice linens, definitely a plus for me. We didn't use the kitchen but would next trip- the food trucks are just a couple of blocks away. The staff: very accommodating and friendly. You really cant go wrong here if you are looking for an unpretentious yet real place to explore the area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind review! You mentioned everything that people love about Portland!
With so many award winning restaurants, local brew pubs, tax-free shopping, food carts, museums, theatre and Powell's Books, you really can't go wrong......and we happen to be located right in the middle of it all!
So happy to hear you enjoyed the wine hour. We are committed to serving Oregon wines as we believe they are some of the finest around. Hopefully, you were able to sample some of our fresh baked cookies, as well.
If you should find yourself in Portland again, I hope you will return to The Mark Spencer Hotel. Thank you for being our guest!

Pam

Been to The Mark Spencer? Share your experiences!