“Nice stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Beaverton, Oregon, United States
“Nice stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

I have stayed at the Mark Spencer hotel twice and both times it was a wonderful treat. The staff was always friendly and we loved the amenities especially the coffee maker in the lobby. Everything in our room was very nice and clean and worked well. The best part was the bed was super comfy, The most comfortable bed I've ever slept on in a hotel. I recommend this hotel to friends and family all the time. The location is really nice also as restaurants and shopping are nearby.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Pam-Coser, General Manager at The Mark Spencer, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Thank you so much for your review.

I'm happy to hear you enjoyed our new beds. We get many comments on the comfort of the mattress and softness of the linen. It's certainly a nice way to end your day!

The coffee/latte machine has also provided many comments - everyone wants to take it home. It does serve a great cup of coffee with beans from a local Portland roaster. So glad you were able to try the coffee - lots of flavors to choose from!

It was our pleasure to have you as our guest and hope to see you again soon!

Warm regards,

Pam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

The location of this hotel is excellent in the heart of the Pearl District and walking distance to Chinatown; financial district and Pioneer Park The hotel offered a wine tasting in the early evening with great variety of wines. The room we had was a bit overkill for us with a mini kitchen with fridge, stove and sink. We did not use it at all. The couch was a bit old and worn but other than that a great room for a reasonable price.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for joining us for our wine reception. We love Oregon wines and are happy to hear our guests do too!
We are doing extensive renovations to The Mark Spencer Hotel, including all guestrooms. They will receive quite a facelift - new furnishings, carpeting, artwork, kitchens and bathrooms (with more vanity space)..
We're very excited at all the changes taking place. I hope you will return to see our new look!

Pam.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I made reservations at the Mark Spencer about 5 weeks ago. My wife and I were traveling to Portland with our 18 year old daughter to look at colleges. I searched Tripadvisor for a good hotel with high ratings and a suite. I specifically chose a suite so my wife and I could stay in 1 room and our daughter on a pullout in the living area. We travelled from NC and when we arrived at the hotel at 8pm had been on the go for 18 hours. We were told by the front desk that the hotel was overbooked and that our room had been given away. I reported that I had a confirmation number but was told "sorry, we are going to have to walk you over to a neighboring hotel". They offered to comp us for the new hotel. I asked what type of room we would have and was told a standard King. I said this would not work, so they called around and were able to get us 2 rooms at a different hotel around the corner. When we arrived at this other hotel, we discovered that we would not have bathrooms in our guest room - they were shared bathrooms out in the hall. Also there was no AC in the rooms (despite being on the third floor on an 80 degree day). So by now it was 9pm, we were exhausted and just went upstairs and went to bed. But I must say that this was completely unacceptable. We had a valid confirmation number for a suite in a specific hotel that offered free breakfast and exercise facilities and were forced into a low class hotel with no AC, no bathrooms in the room, no breakfast and no exercise facilities. TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. Our daughter plans to attend college in Portland and so we and multiple family members will be making many trips to visit, and I will tell anyone who will listen to never "book" a room in this hotel.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
I would like to apologize to you for our hotel not having a guestroom available when you arrived. Unfortunately, this does occur in our business and we sincerely try to make accommodations for each guest.
We view every comment as an opportunity to improve our service to you and implement any changes that will truly make a difference to our guests.
When you find yourself back in Portland again, I hope you will stop by so I might extend my apologies to you in person.
Please give your daughter our best wishes for a successful year at college.

Kind regards,

Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

This hotel looks beautiful from the pictures, but isn't quite what we expected and we were a little disappointed. It was decent, but I definitely don't think it was worth the price. The hotel was fairly outdated and the bed was very uncomfortable. I don't usually write bad reviews, but I had wished that someone would have let us know before we spent so much money on a pretty average hotel. One thing that was really great was the location.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking time to review The Mark Spencer Hotel. I must admit, I was a bit surprised that our beds were not comfortable for you. All guestrooms have all new bedding, including new mattresses, sheets, duvets, etc. We receive quite a few comments on the comfort of our beds, and knowing that this is such a personal preference, I would like to apologize for any discomfort you experienced as our guest.

We are in the process of remodeling all guestrooms and public areas. I would like to invite you back to see the changes that are taking place.

It was our pleasure to have you as our guest!

Kind regards,

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I have written a review in the past (five stars) but want to update since our most recent visit this month. If anything, this wonderful hotel just gets better and better. If you want brass buttons and fancy amenities go elsewhere, but you will be missing a treasure. Again we had a lovely suite, with a spotless kitchen and everything we needed for our self-catering stay of several days. Breakfast, and afternoon tea/coffee and cookies are always provided, but we have never partaken. However we did venture down to the wine tasting and found this to be simply a warm and generous gathering, with glasses of red or white Oregon wines being offered. No speeches or suchlike, just a nice glass of wine we were welcome to (and did) take back to our room. The staff are all unfailingly friendly and helpful. The New York Times delivered to the door and two other newspapers available for sale at the desk. Laundry facilities available. The location is wonderful : so close to Whole Foods for groceries, Vinopolis for amazing wine, a couple of great pubs for the occasional lunch and of course, our reason for going in the first place, Powell's Books. I can hardly wait to go back. We would not think of staying anywhere else.

Welcome back!

It's nice to revisit the many places you enjoy while vacationing. Thank you for including The Mark Spencer Hotel as one of them!

Powell's Bookstore is such a haven for anyone who loves books and we're extremely fortunate that they are practically in our front yard! I'm glad you enjoy this Portland treasure.

Thank you, too, for the glowing review. I hope we have many more opportunites to welcome you back!

Warm regards,

Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

We were in Portland for a wedding and the entire wedding party stayed at the Mark Spencer. It was previously an apartment complex. The hotel has been renovated and the rooms are one bedroom efficiencies, complete with small kitchen. The ambience is wonderful and the staff is quite knowledgeable with regard to restaurants and downtown activities.

Room Tip: Most rooms face toward the city
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Pam-Coser, General Manager at The Mark Spencer, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Congratulations on the wedding! I'm sure it was a beautiful event.

We truly appreciate your time in reviewing The Mark Spencer Hotel and are thrilled to have been chosen to help celebrate this happy occassion.

I hope you had some free time to explore the city - excellent dining options, tax free shopping and first class museums!

Thank you for staying with us and from my entire staff - "Congratulations once again!"

Portland, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I have organized two separate 4-day trainings at the Mark Spencer hotel, and both have gone extremely well due to the hard work of the Mark Spencer staff and the wonderful space that the hotel offers.

On each occasion I have worked with Dave Spacek. He is friendly, responsive, and works hard to accommodate all of my requests. I left the food planning entirely up to Dave, and he was able to get us an amazing deal on lunch prices. Each day we had a different, delicious meal with variety and both gluten free and vegan options. We worked with Banquet Captain, Michael Snow, who ensured that our meals were ready on time, and without letting set-up disrupt our meetings.

While I have not stayed in the hotel myself, most of the people attending our meetings stayed at the Mark Spencer during our trainings. I have seen the rooms and was very impressed, and the reviews from those attending our trainings were all positive.

I would recommend the Mark Spencer to anyone looking to hold professional meetings, with wonderful service, delicious food and a pleasant and professional atmosphere (with a small business, Portland vibe to it at the same time)... and the pricetag is half of what we would spend at the larger, chain hotels.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Wow! Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our conference services. I will be happy to pass along your kind words to Dave.

I'm happy to hear your trainings were a success and that we were able to provide everything you needed. As meals can be a large part of a successful training day (everyone looks forward to lunch!), we offer many catering options tailored to each event.

Our conference center has taken on a new look over the past year with a complete remodel and additional square footage. We feature state-of-the-art AV equipment and lighting controls, providing our clients with everything they need for successful meetings.

Thank you for choosing to have your business training at The Mark Spencer Hotel. It was truly our pleasure to host your group and hope to be of service to you again.

Pam

Been to The Mark Spencer? Share your experiences!