“Wonderful staff!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Los Angeles, California
“Wonderful staff!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

The staff at the Mark Spencer was great! I was a little disheveled when I arrived and discovered there was no one out front to help me with my heavy bags (btw, if I had just called in, I'm sure they would have sent someone out right away!), so I had to drag them to the elevator and across the lobby. As I was checking in, I mentioned I need help with my bag, one of the staff (gentleman with gray hair and glasses), grabbed the heaviest one and said, "no problem!" and took it right to my room before anyone could get a cart. When I tried to tip him, he said, "keep your money!"... He gave me a few tips for dinner and breakfast (which I used, Tasty and Alder has amazing food!).

Every time I walked by the front desk, I observed someone being extra helpful and friendly! (even when the guests were being annoying! LOL!).

My room was very comfortable, and extra clean! which I really appreciate. The cabinets look a little scratched up, but it sounds like this is something that is being updated as I write this.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Pam-Coser, General Manager at The Mark Spencer, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Wow! Thank you for your kind words to my staff. The gentleman you referred to is John, one of our remarkable front desk employees, and I will be happy to pass along your comments to him. Each member of our staff has their favorite Portland places and are happy to share them with our guests. I'm happy to hear you found "Tasty & Alder" a real treat!
We hope you will return to visit us again on your next trip to Portland. It was our pleasure to have you as our guest.

Pam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Sacramento, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

Check in was fine though someone next to me was checking prices. They quoted her $60 less for the same room. When I mentioned it, they ushered me out quickly. The room was fine... An old fridge, stove, and sink were in the corner which was kind of weird. Overall, very clean and quiet. The extras are plentiful. I was left a bottle of wine for my birthday, there was wine, cheese, crackers, cookies in the evening, and a decent continental breakfast. The parking garage was tiny, but free. Check out was super busy so they needed more than two staff. Overall, I'd give it a solid 4 (of 5).

• Stayed July 2013
I would like to wish you a Happy Belated Birthday!" I hope you enjoyed your time in Portland and was able to find the perfect location for your birthday dinner! With so many delicious restaurants, it's hard to choose.
With regard to your room rate, I can only assume the lower rate you overheard quoted at check in to another guest was the difference between your room type and theirs.
I hope you are having a very special vacation and we thank you for being our guest.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Stayed here one night on a family road trip. Arrived about 2 pm and were able to check in early. Unfortunately, we were told the hotel garage was already full and were directed to a crowded lot around the corner from the hotel. The room was bright and sunny with 2 queens and a fold out sofa bed in a separate room. There was an apartment size fridge with a sink and small stove as well. The beds & pillows were very comfortable. The bathroom was old & outdated - no fan, very little counter space, very little water pressure in the shower & water that changed every few minutes from ice cold to hot. Breakfast was included and consisted of breads, hard boiled eggs, cereals and fruit. Good location for exploring the old town area - walking distance to china town, voodoo donuts, etc. Overall a good stay but the bathroom could definitely be improved upon. Also would have been happier if we could have parked in a secure lot as expected.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for your review and for allowing us to be your host on your family road trip. We love to see entire families traveling together and Portland is a wonderful city to explore. It sounds as if Voodoo Doughnuts made it on your"Portland's Must See" list! On any given day, we'll see 3 to 4 pink doughnut boxes being carried around the hotel lobby!
We will be undergoing more renovations this fall with complete remodel of our guestrooms, including new furnishings, kitchens, carpeting, bedding and bathrooms. I hope you will return to see the improvements!

Have a wonderful summer!

Pueblo, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

The staff was very helpful in setting the room up to meet our needs. We were traveling with a young child. We needed a microwave for heating bottles and we had a crib and other amenities delivered to the room. The staff had everything in the room for us when we arrived. They were also very friendly and helpful in helping us get around in an unknown city. If we are ever in Portland again, I would definitely consider staying there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Pam-Coser, General Manager at The Mark Spencer, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
I'm so happy you enjoyed your stay with us. We love having families at the hotel as the children always make for interesting conversation. As with your little one, we can always accommodate babies with a crib, microwave or anything they require. Our Front Desk staff is happy to handle any neccessities, as well. We also have a Treasure Chest for older children which allows them to choose a welcome amenity for themselves!
We hope to see you again and would be very happy to welcome you back to The Mark Spencer Hotel.
Enjoy your summer!

Bronx, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

This hotel started out my best birthday trip ever and it was a big part of it! Wish I could've stayed the whole time but couldn't afford it but I stayed solo so if have another person to cut costs it's not bad at all! People complain about dated refrigerator and things, it added to charm for me! Great bed, wonderful staff, great wine/cheese reception, great location. Not enough great things to say! If I don't move there and only visit I'm staying here!

• Stayed July 2013
Wow! Thank you for your kind review - it's fun to hear how much our visitors love Portland! It sounds as if you might have to make another trip to celebrate next year's birthday.

I'm happy you were able to join us for our evening wine reception. This gathering is always the highlight of the day - to meet and chat with our guests.

As renovations continue, the hotel is getting more comfortable (furnishings, bedding, etc.) while retaining it's charm and hospitality.

I hope you had a wonderful birthday celebration in our beautiful city!

Southwest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I would have to agree with a previous reviewer that the rooms are cramped and the room furniture old. We liked the kitchenette but there were problems--for instance, the refrigerator door kept opening on its own. The carpet is not particularly clean, which bothers us more than it should. Bathroom the size of a postage stamp. The beds are comfortable and perhaps it's because we didn't stay on a weekend but rather during the week, and the room was quiet. So sleep is easy! The parking garage is an excellent feature but it's tiny and challenging to get in and out. The hotel's location is what it's all about--you can walk or catch a bus pretty much anywhere in Portland. We came to visit Lewis & Clark College and it was fun using public transportation to get there. Powell's Books is nearby, which is great if you like huge musty bookstores with an impressive selection of overpriced books. The MS doorman (Logan?) is helpful, friendly, courteous, just the best. The staff overall is top-notch. So it's a mixed bag but we would stay there again.

Room Tip: See if you can get a renovated room, as they apparently exist.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
I would like to thank you for taking time to send in your review and will happily pass your comments on to Logan.
We do have an ideal location for seeing the city with an excellent public transportation system. I hope you had a chance to ride the trolley, which runs right past our front door. Seeing the city on foot is another popular option as we have very walkable, small city blocks.This allows you to duck into any number of shops, restaurants, museums and brew pubs!
We are doing extensive renovations to our guestrooms and public areas and I hope you will return to see the improvements.
I hope you enjoyed Lewis & Clark - it's a beautiful campus!
Thank you for being our guest!

Roskilde, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I booked a room the day before arrival after having seen on the hotel webside that rooms were avaible. The website said that I would have the best rate if I booked directly, but luckily I checked hotels.com and saved 20 dollars by booking from their website. The room was small to american standards but both room and bathroom were fully updated to a 4-star standard. Why the bed mattress was not soft we had a good night sleep. It is positive that you can have coffee/tea and a muffin for free in the lobby in the afternoon. Breakfast was included in the room rate, but the quality does not equalize the breakfast that we had in B&B´s. The location is perfect with a 15 minutes walk to downtown and a lot of restaurants and bars around the corner.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Pam-Coser, General Manager at The Mark Spencer, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you so much for visiting Portland all the way from Denmark!

I was happy to hear you found a good rate and that you chose The Mark Spencer Hotel for your accommodations. Our website does offer the best rate available each day and I would like to apologize to you if you were unable to locate our "Best Rate." We also encourage our travelers to phone us directly so we can personalize your accommodations to fit your traveling needs.

Our location is, indeed, a highlight for our guests. With so many delicious restaurants within a few blocks, it's hard to choose!

Safe travels to you this summer. It was our pleasure to have you as our guest!