“Great Hotel in a Great Location” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   409 SW 11th Ave., Portland, OR 97205 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #24 of 133 hotels in Portland
Baltimore, Maryland
“Great Hotel in a Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Just a few steps from the shops and restaurants in Old Town and the Pearl District, the Mark Spencer is a great choice. We had booked this trip several months in advance, and though the hotel was fully booked, they upgraded our room to a suite. I can't provide information on their rooms, but the bedroom in the suite was small, with about twelve inches of space between the end of the king bed and a dresser. That made getting around a bit difficult, but since we had a suite, what little time we were in our room was in the living area, so it wasn't too bad. Bedding and linens were topnotch. Their website said there was a coffee maker in the room (very important to us), but in the suite, which had a kitchenette, there was no coffee provided, so we had to go downstairs to fetch it. However, they did have a nice espresso machine there, which actually made good coffee, espresso, and latte. I can't say if just a room would have had coffee provided. We also had a bathtub, which made my wife very happy. There was no safe in our room. Breakfast was included, and was decent. Wifi was free, and worked fine, but was slow. Questions we had of the staff were answered professionally and accurately, and everyone in the hotel seemed tuned in to making sure we were comfortable and happy. We would definitely stay here again.

806 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Veneta, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Located downtown near so many wonderful shops, museums, and eating establishments, this wonderful completely homey place to stay is a wonderful relief from the plastic world of some major hotels. The STAFF is terrific. I do not get to go that often and yet each and every time I visit, I feel a bit like I am going home. The parking garage affords a place to keep my vehicle safe and although it seems to be a bit pricey, finding a parking place in the city, keeping it fed so as not to get a ticket and paying for a ticket is far more costly. In addition, I feel my vehicle is safe from accidental activities.
The wine bar and snacks are delightful; the hot beverages machine provides some of the best coffee and hot chocolate ever [other drinks as well.. but these are my favorites] and breakfast fair keeps us both smiling.
The rooms are complete with a small and useful kitchen, comfortable beds and wonderfully rich towels for the tub/shower experience.
I don't think we'd stay any where else in Portland... did I mention it is on the public transportation line and affords free or inexpensive trips to most every spot in town? If I didn't, I should have. I can park my vehicle in a safe place, travel about town to do the things I love [theater and art museums with a stop at Powell's bookstore before heading off to the theater] and return to the cozy home with wonderful staff.... Now that is what I call a WIN WIN trip for me and for you.

Room Tip: we loved our room - the room faced the east and had windows so that we could see over the town.. nic...
Oak Lawn, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

The hotel is within walking distance to fun neighborhoods, restaurants, food carts, and shopping. We loved the afternoon wine tasting and treats in the lounge each day and had our fair share of espresso drinks from the self-serve machine! Bedding was super soft and comfy.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Willowbrook, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

My wife and I were at the Mark Spencer to see our nephew perform at the Portland Center for Arts a few blocks away. We liked the room, and even though not there for a long time appreciate the frig. and stove for extended stays.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Santa Rosa, California, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

The Mark Spencer was top-notch! The staff was helpful and friendly, the room was really a suite, with a separate sitting room and a kitchenette. It was quiet and clean. It is convenient to everything we wanted to do and see. What put this hotel above others was all the extras: breakfast in the morning, 24 hour coffee and espresso machine, cookies and tea mid afternoon, and wine tasting and appetizers late afternoon. They have a nice atrium where people gather to eat and talk, so you naturally get to know others who a staying there. We will return!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I love this hotel for many reasons. 1) the service: you get a real person on the phone who is helpful and patient. 2) the rooms are so '50s: small bedroom and bath, but with a kitchenette and living room! 3) There's a friendly feel to the place. I'll always stay here when in Portland.

ventura
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at the Mark Spencer as part of a 35 day US road trip, based on the preponderance of great comments on Trip Advisor, which I relied on for recommendations on an 8,800 mile trek. Road weary, and pulling in late in the day, we were exuberantly greeted by the doorman (Mike?) and the inside staff, and made to feel welcome by all those we encountered throughout the stay.

We were upgraded to a third floor suite (snap) which was basically a small apartment. The room was very clean, well maintained, with a very comfortable bed. A bit crowed for a sufficient breakfast, but homey, as folks were gathered around the available dining and lobby spaces. The coffee/expresso machine was a treat, making all sorts of on-demand quality brews.

The location on the edge of the Pearl district was great for our city walking tours, and close to great restaurants. Great deli right out the front door. Hats off to the staff and management for a fine experience. The building is historic, so expect character, not glitz. The rates were a real deal when compared to some of the other similar properties in the area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Mark Spencer? Share your experiences!