“The Mark Spenser is cushy.” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   409 SW 11th Ave., Portland, OR 97205 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #21 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Wallowa, Oregon, United States
“The Mark Spenser is cushy.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I loved my room and my big comfortable bed. Against the street on one side there was no noise from other guests, with bathroom and closet to cushion the other side. The meeting room suited our needs. The staff was helpful and friendly. The breakfast was adequate and the make-your-own latte machine a fantastic luxury! Also, you can walk to Powell's and a million great restaurants from there.

Room Tip: See my review. Ask for a corner.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Keizer, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Returned to the Mark Spencer to attend the oral, living Christmas Tree presentation at the Keller Auditorium and to see the Columbus Day Storm at the Oregon Historical Society. As always, the Mark Spencer is the perfect match for us - quiet, accommodating, comfortable and conveniently located for visiting the Arts and the Historical Society. Within walking distance of a wide selection of restuarants plus on the streetcar line. But the best new thing is the rennovation progress. Just keeps getting better!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Cottage Grove
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I always stay at the Mark Spencer when in pdx. Importantly, it's a block from Powell's. The staff is super friendly and helpful and the ambiance is great. Wine tasting, free espresso machine, good breakfast. I like the smaller feel of the hotel. Very cozy. They gave me a complimentary upgrade to a suite due to availability. I didn't even ask. That's the kind of hotel it is.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I've stayed at the Mark Spencer several times and it just keeps getting better --- convenient location, friendly staff, comfortable rooms, great breakfast, wine in the early evenings, underground parking.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel many times, and it has always been great. Wonderful staff, excellent service, and great location. They have a nice breakfast, with a newspaper delivered to your door. The afternoon tea and cookie break is great for rejuvenating your energy after a day out exploring Portland. And then afterwards there is a free wine event daily. The staff are very friendly and very helpful. And you couldn't have a better location -- a couple of blocks from Powell's Books! I always look forward to coming back to this hotel as they make you feel at home.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Abbotsford, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We got a good deal on the room with the bidding process (for a downtown Portland hotel) and when we got there and asked about upgrading, we were given a king room on the 6th floor. Didn't have a view out the window, except into another room, but we weren't in the room enough for that to be a concern. The bed was too soft for my liking but satisfactory. The walls were super thin, which I'd read about in the reviews, but we were lucky to have quiet neighbours and no one above us. The shower was fine once my husband adjusted the shower head but there really needs to be more than a tiny little shelf below the mirror. There was no place to put any toiletries so I had to bring in a chair to put them on. The room was very clean though the carpet was old. The staff were were friendly and helpful. The breakfast was great; it was lovely to have cookies in the afternoon; the wine reception was excellent. We never paid for coffee anywhere the whole weekend because the coffee machine in the lobby was awesome. We would stay there again if we were looking for a reasonably priced place to stay in downtown Portland.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Berkeley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I chose the "make a bid" option on their website and got a junior suite at a great nightly rate. I was visiting Portland for the first time and needed a hotel that would allow my little dog to accompany me (for a nightly fee). The Mark Spencer turned out to be a great spot and it was very comfortable for me and my pup. They welcomed him with biscuits and a few tips on local dog parks. It was raining the entire time we were in Portland, so the pup was able to stay in the room alone while I went out for an hour or two at a time. The hotel itself has some old school charm to it - our room had an old stove and fridge that looked like they were from the 70s. I can't imagine that they're energy efficient whatsoever, but they gave us a homey feel. The free wireless was okay and used 24 hour time period leases and only seemed to work easily for 1 device. As I had 5 devices, I just used my own network. The hotel itself had a smallish garage around the corner that wasn't terribly easy to navigate with tight turns and steep curves. It took me a while to get out when we were leaving. Other than that, the location of the Mark Spencer is amazing. I was within blocks of everything from movie theaters, restaurants, indie bookstores and shops, breweries, and the infamous Voodoo Doughnuts. If I return to Portland with my pup, I'd stay at the Mark Spencer again. If I were without my pup, I might look for something else in the same area. I tend to self cater when I travel, so I would like to use energy efficient appliances whenever possible. The hotel breakfast was perfect - an assortment of fruit, yogurt, toast, bagels, muffins, croissants, with juice, milk, or coffee. I had a cappuccino from their machine and it wasn't half bad. I really appreciated the option and I enjoyed having a good breakfast without venturing into the rain. I will definitely check here again to see if they've done any remodeling or upgrades next time I stop in Portland.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street may hear the rail car passing at night. Opt for a room facing away from the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to The Mark Spencer? Share your experiences!