“Close to everything, very pet friendly” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
GET 15% OFF NOW!
Ranked #16 of 132 hotels in Portland
Berkeley, California
“Close to everything, very pet friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I chose the "make a bid" option on their website and got a junior suite at a great nightly rate. I was visiting Portland for the first time and needed a hotel that would allow my little dog to accompany me (for a nightly fee). The Mark Spencer turned out to be a great spot and it was very comfortable for me and my pup. They welcomed him with biscuits and a few tips on local dog parks. It was raining the entire time we were in Portland, so the pup was able to stay in the room alone while I went out for an hour or two at a time. The hotel itself has some old school charm to it - our room had an old stove and fridge that looked like they were from the 70s. I can't imagine that they're energy efficient whatsoever, but they gave us a homey feel. The free wireless was okay and used 24 hour time period leases and only seemed to work easily for 1 device. As I had 5 devices, I just used my own network. The hotel itself had a smallish garage around the corner that wasn't terribly easy to navigate with tight turns and steep curves. It took me a while to get out when we were leaving. Other than that, the location of the Mark Spencer is amazing. I was within blocks of everything from movie theaters, restaurants, indie bookstores and shops, breweries, and the infamous Voodoo Doughnuts. If I return to Portland with my pup, I'd stay at the Mark Spencer again. If I were without my pup, I might look for something else in the same area. I tend to self cater when I travel, so I would like to use energy efficient appliances whenever possible. The hotel breakfast was perfect - an assortment of fruit, yogurt, toast, bagels, muffins, croissants, with juice, milk, or coffee. I had a cappuccino from their machine and it wasn't half bad. I really appreciated the option and I enjoyed having a good breakfast without venturing into the rain. I will definitely check here again to see if they've done any remodeling or upgrades next time I stop in Portland.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street may hear the rail car passing at night. Opt for a room facing away from the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

732 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

Whenever I come to visit Oregon, I stay at this hotel.
It feels like home and makes feel happy.
Every staffs of the hotel are very nice and the hotel is just like an American classic.

• Stayed November 2012
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I can think of no other hotel in the US that provides such a warm and caring environment for people who wish to travel with their pets. It really meant a lot to us to have our dogs by our side. Thank you for the special welcome goodie bag . All of the staff were very kind and helpful. The Mark Spencer is one of Portland's best vintage hotel values as you are close to the city's trendy Pearl district and downtown. Be sure to check out the cosmic convergence of food vans two blocks away. I give this hotel five paws.
Nancy B.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Palo Alto, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

This hotel is right in the heart of Portland, just on the edge of the Pearl District, and two blocks from Powell's, Whole Foods, and many good coffee shops (Stumptown Coffee!) and restaurants. The staff is friendly and helpful, the rooms are clean, and the atmosphere is cheerful. The newer rooms are really lovely, so you might inquire about those; we stayed in one on the first floor, which was very pretty. The older rooms are a bit old-fashioned, and a bit worn, but they're very clean, and it's nice (especially for families with children) to have a little stove where you can make tea, and a fridge to keep yogurts and other items in, for snacks. Right outside the hotel, you can hop onto the trolley taking you up to the Art Museum and wonderful restaurants like South Park.

We will definitely make the Mark Spencer our hotel for our upcoming trips to Portland. It already feels like a home away from home.

Room Tip: Ask for a newer room, or a corner suite.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This hotel is very nice and in a great location. It's a bit old.. but still nice and well taken care of. The staff was friendly, albeit not the most helpful. They seemed a bit disinterested in helping our group when we asked for recommendations of where to eat in the area. Breakfast was a bit small but loved the complimentary wine and cheese in the afternoons.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

This hotel is comfortable, attractive, has great staff, and offers lots of perks: breakfast is included, free wireless, afternoon tea and cookies, evening wine. The Mark Spencer is in a great location. The Pearl area of Portland offers so many dining and shopping opportunities (Powells City of Books!) all within easy walking distance.

My family stayed here in the summer of 2011 while checking out colleges for my son. When my husband and I came back for his orientation week at one of the Portland colleges, we stayed at a place recommended by that college. What a mistake! It was expensive, offered none of the generous perks that Mark Spencers offers, and the staff were aloof to the point of coldness.

When I decided to go to Portland to visit my son over a long weekend, Mark Spencer was the only place I considered staying. And it will be where I always stay during the next four years of college visits.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Eugene, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This wonderful, quiet residence is tucked into the hustle and bustle of downtown, but you are worlds away once you step through the doors. The Hotel is classic, but is undergoing extensive room renovations at the present time. The upgrades will be nice, but rest assured, you will enjoy your stay whether you have a newer or older-style room. Very comfy!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Mark Spencer? Share your experiences!