“Excellent Service, Comfortable Bed!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Heathman Hotel

You added The Heathman Hotel to your Saves list
The Heathman Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1001 SW Broadway @ Salmon, Portland, OR 97205 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #6 of 133 Hotels in Portland
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
traverse city michigan
“Excellent Service, Comfortable Bed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

This is my second time at this hotel for business and I would definitely come back. The linens and beds were outstanding. The free french press coffee and bottled water and french toiletries in the room were appreciated. The restaurant had high quality food such as the Alaskan halibut, Caesar salad and vegetarian eggs Benedict ( spinach& tomato), and good wine/drink. The lobby was a great place to work and the free internet worked well. Staff were very helpful with restaurant suggestions and directions. I will come back for work and personal travel as it is just a nice hotel.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Krissy S, Online Content Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear ellen49690,

We were so lucky to have you as our returning guests - thank you for sharing your most recent experience with us! It sounds like this stay was everything you remember from your first visit which is precisely what we strive for! It sounds like the restaurant and tea court lounge offered you some well deserved food and libations as well as comfortable working environment!

We can't wait to welcome you back again soon!
Krissy S.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
Naples, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

I had a wonderful stay - Great location for walking and seeing the city. Great room very comfortable bed - would have liked to take it home with me. Great staff very friendly with great tips on sightseeing and where to eat.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Krissy S, Online Content Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear omalley58,

We couldn't be more pleased with your great review! Thank you for taking the time write about your most recent Heathman Portland experience! It sounds like everything was just perfect - from the bed you could have packed with you :) to the service delivered at the front desk!

We really appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your stay. We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Dupont, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

We stayed at the Heathman in1969 for a couple of nights for our delayed "honeymoon." We had no money and the Heathman was cheap (although we found it was in the "red light" district.) So we decided to go back for our 45th anniversary. The hotel was beautiful, the service impeccable and the red light district gone. The concierge called to find out if it was a special occasion and they honored it by upgrading our room and leaving an excellent bottle of wine in the room for us. We had a lovely couple of days and thoroughly enjoyed our stay at The Heathman.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear ire514,

How times have changed! Thank you for sharing this great story of connecting the past to the present! Your experience sounds divine! I'm so glad we could be there to celebrate another milestone for you and treat you to the finest experience! We hope you make this a yearly voyage - we'd be lucky to welcome you back again soon!

Thank you again for taking the time to share this wonderful review!

Take care,
Brighton, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Wonderful hotel. All staff friendly beyond expectations. Everyone treated us like royalty You must take time to visit the library during the wine tasting session. The corned beef hash was the best I have ever tasted.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Philip S.,

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent experience at the Heathman Portland. We couldn't be more pleased with your response and it sounds like all went along swimmingly! We also so appreciate you mentioning our open library hours with wine tasting - isn't that a delightful treat?!

We hope we have the honor of welcoming you back again soon!

Medford, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

The Heathman is a lovely historic hotel that looks like a Stephen King story should be filmed there. I had two complications: 1. housekeeping came knocking on my door at 9:30 at night while I was in the shower, she didn't hear me asking her to not come in and she started to walk in. She realized I was in the shower, was incredibly apologetic and obviously embarrassed (awkwardly offered me some water) and left. I had not put up my do not disturb sign, but still - why is housekeeping showing up at 9:30pm? 2. There was confusion over payment where they could not find the credit card authorization to bill the room to a corporate card. I had to pay and contact them the next day. It honestly wasn't that big of a deal, my office manager called and had it resolved within minutes and the Heathman contacted me promptly to apologize and let me know it had been resolved.

TL,DR; A couple hiccups but overall I felt that the customer service was conscientious. Would definitely return.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

HeathmanMGR, Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Dear Amy S,

It was nice to hear that you had a nice stay regardless of the few "hiccups" you encountered. Turndown performs second stay over service and delivers ice to guest rooms in the evening, there normal hours are 5pm-9pm so we will look into why they were so late in servicing your room. Thank you for your patience while the team sorted out the billing mix up.

We really appreciate your opinion and hope to see you again in the future.

Best Regards,

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Enjoy the luscious bedding, generosity of Dre who makes outstanding recommendations for dining and the wonderful staff throughout. Perfect access to all of downtown transit and venues. We were right next door to the theatre for #wds2014.

Room Tip: All rooms are lovely with french press coffee and bottled water included.
Green Features: Lots of opportunities to recycle - save your towels for another use, etc.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

HeathmanMGR, Front Office Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Dear VoyageurBC,

Thank you for your encouraging comments!

I will inform Dre of her mention. We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and are looking forward to your return.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

I'm very torn about my review. There were things that made this hotel great and other things that really disappointed me.

Overall, the hotel was nice. It was in a great location. We walked everywhere. The concierge was always helpful giving suggestions of places to eat or visit. They seemed to know the city well, not just the touristy stuff. In general the staff was great. Very friendly. Loved that they hand you complimentary water bottles as you head out for the day.

When we first arrived I was disappointed that the lobby was very small and just had a few kiosks to check in. It didn't seem very grand. It wasn't until 4 days into my stay did I even realize that through a doorway nearby was a large parlor. It was beautiful and should have been the entrance. (I know that was probably and architectural issue). It just didn't give you a sense you were in a fancy hotel when you entered compared to nearby hotels such as The Benson.

The other issue with the lobby is that you have to walk up 4 steps or so when you first enter. Not so great when you have a stroller or wheelchair. They do have a tiny little lift off to the side that was super slow and annoying to use. Having to use this everytime we came and went with our stroller got old real fast. But again, old building, I know. A ramp somewhere would have been better if at all possible.

So my main issues were with our room. When we first entered, it smelled like stale smoke. As if it had been a smoking room for quite some time. No smoking in the hotel but yet ours reeked. The room was fine, size wise (Symphony Suite). Not a lot of storage for bags, clothes etc though. There was this large coffee table that you had to move out of the way to fold out the sleeper sofa and there really wasn't anywhere to put it. So things did get cramped with little walking room while the sofa bed was out. I was also disappointed in the condition of the room. I would expect a hotel of this ranking to be in tip-top shape all the time. Furniture was dented, scratched, and chipped. Lots of black mold in the grout all over the shower (also gross). Large stains on the carpet. Leaking shower faucet. And one other thing that may seem silly until you are using it everyday... The sink in the bathroom... whoever cut the hole for the sink put it so far back. Usually sinks are a few inches in from the edge of the counter. This one was a good 10" or so. I'm 5'4". Average lady height.. and when I was brushing my teeth I had to stand on my tip toes and bend pretty far over just to spit in the sink. It just wasn't thought out well. Sounds silly but again, after several days of this it got old.

I will say that the rooms were quiet. I didn't hear any noise. Not sure about the neighbors who may have heard a crying, teething 1 year old (I'm sorry!). The bed was very comfortable as well.

We didn't use room service but did eat in the restaurant below. Food was pricy but very good.

Overall, we would stay here again but only if I found another good deal. I just can't see paying full price for a moldy bathroom.

Room Tip: We were in 411, overlooking a building with a mural. This part of the hotel was very quiet as it was...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Dear chopsockey,

Thank you for choosing the Heathman on your visit to Portland. Your opinion is greatly appreciated and while some things such as the size of the lobby, and décor cannot be changed due to the architecture and historic preservation of the building, all of the other concerns noted in your survey will be addressed appropriately.

Thank you again for your opinion and I apologize that the experience did not meet your expectations.

J. Williams

Been to The Heathman Hotel? Share your experiences!